View Full Version : Outer Beaches

Circlehook
08-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I will be in Wellfleet for next weekend. Would you concentrate on the incomming, or the out going at Cahoon Hollow?

Will be fishing eels, needlefish.

Thanks,
Jon

The Iceman 6
08-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Outgoing, def. outgoing.

Sweetwater
08-08-2008, 06:39 PM
I'd focus on avoiding the mung. All the back beaches have been very mungy. Just checked Coast Guard in Truro today and a lot of mung floating about. Seems a bit more fishable on the outgoing though.

RickBomba
08-08-2008, 07:03 PM
yaaaak

Back Beach
08-09-2008, 04:56 AM
Find an exposed bar at low tide and wade out as far as you can. If there's deep water off the end of the bar(trough) connecting the beach hole to deeper water, remember where it is. Throw eels on top of the bar and let them tumble into the hole. Low incoming tide is good in areas like this. As the tide fills, move back off the bar and fish the hole. Do the opposite on the dropping tide. Have fun with the seals. I hear they're brutal. This used to be the best time of year out there for big fish around wellfleet. Things have changed alot, mostly for the worse.There is however,an outside chance of a couple fish eluding the seals, albeit temporarily.
One thing to remember about the mung is it gets worse as the tide falls(water contracts) and it sometimes disperses as the tide comes in.(water expands) People have always used mung as an excuse, but believe me its always been there and you can catch fish in it. Corners of holes might be socked in with the stuff at low tide, but very fishable from mid tide incoming up to high. Stick with eels. Plugs will definitly foul even if there's a little mung in the water. Eels will stay clean long enough to get a fish on.

numbskull
08-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Stick with eels. Plugs will definitly foul even if there's a little mung in the water. Eels will stay clean long enough to get a fish on.

True, true indeed........but, alas, it is your soul that will be fouled instead. And thou shalt find thyself cursed and painful to the eye of the Lord who, in his wisdom and magnificence, will discard thee to the shores of the canal wherest thou shall be doomed squander the rest of thou's days, unwashed, unblessed, and reeking of unmentionable odors, standing alone in the dark with thy rod erect, hoping......nay.....dreaming that something, anything will pull upon it. Amen.

Back Beach
08-09-2008, 07:54 AM
True, true indeed........but, alas, it is your soul that will be fouled instead. And thou shalt find thyself cursed and painful to the eye of the Lord who, in his wisdom and magnificence, will discard thee to the shores of the canal wherest thou shall be doomed squander the rest of thou's days, unwashed, unblessed, and reeking of unmentionable odors, standing alone in the dark with thy rod erect, hoping......nay.....dreaming that something, anything will pull upon it. Amen.

My dearest and beloved Numbskull…

As a sculptor, angler, thread hijacker, and enemy of all things deciduous and coniferous, it pains me to see you masquerading as a friend to the catadromous elver, or nature itself for that matter. Your concrete encampment better known as your basement likely houses the unidentified remains of many a fine Chamaecyparis nootkatensis, whose dear lives were taken for the purpose of providing recreation for an aggrieved madman. Your soul will remain in purgatory long after your withered remains become enveloped in the cape sands, damned forever. I offer my prayers to your loved ones and a quote to ponder…

They kill good trees to put out bad newspapers.
- James G. Watt

......or bad plugs for that matter...:laugha:

Slipknot
08-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Plugs will definitly foul even if there's a little mung in the water. Eels will stay clean long enough to get a fish on.

not necessarily, I have caught fish with a pikie in mung before, but most plugs like bombers will get fouled up with the stuff.

you and numbskull keep up the entertainment
someday I will have to try those eels you speak of

numbskull
08-09-2008, 08:30 AM
ShiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiT! That explains why my boat broke, I can't get to squat, and even though I fish plugs and donate lots of money to high end tackle manufacturers that walking on water thing ain't working for me. I must say, you're pretty smart for a guy who played baseball. Maybe you eel guys are alright after all. Or maybe I just need a drysuit. Either way, thanks.

NIB
08-09-2008, 08:06 PM
anyone else need a dictionary??:huh:

Back Beach
08-10-2008, 04:42 AM
not necessarily, I have caught fish with a pikie in mung before, but most plugs like bombers will get fouled up with the stuff.

True. Somtimes tying direct to the plug w/mono and no leader works too.

As for Numbskull, he's really a kind , gentle soul from what I've read at the post office, just a little off center....

Flaptail
08-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Find an exposed bar at low tide and wade out as far as you can. If there's deep water off the end of the bar(trough) connecting the beach hole to deeper water, remember where it is. Throw eels on top of the bar and let them tumble into the hole. Low incoming tide is good in areas like this. As the tide fills, move back off the bar and fish the hole. Do the opposite on the dropping tide. Have fun with the seals. I hear they're brutal. This used to be the best time of year out there for big fish around wellfleet. Things have changed alot, mostly for the worse.There is however,an outside chance of a couple fish eluding the seals, albeit temporarily.
One thing to remember about the mung is it gets worse as the tide falls(water contracts) and it sometimes disperses as the tide comes in.(water expands) People have always used mung as an excuse, but believe me its always been there and you can catch fish in it. Corners of holes might be socked in with the stuff at low tide, but very fishable from mid tide incoming up to high. Stick with eels. Plugs will definitly foul even if there's a little mung in the water. Eels will stay clean long enough to get a fish on.

Three things: 1. Fish the inside and corners of that bowl as depicted on the LOW TIDE.
2. Fish a bayside beach from Wellfleet to Truro, trust me.
3. Eels are bait, bait is easy, be a real man and fish a plug, especially a needlefish, try white, or yellow, moons coming up.

The Elver clan listen to badly played banjo music, have no teeth, sleep with thier sisters, do strange things with chicken necks, salivate at the sight of mittens and call all the uncles "Daddy" just to be sure.

NIB
08-10-2008, 08:03 AM
The elver clan sounds like the Elvis clan.:spin:
I wonder if they have picture of a Velvet Striper.
Me I do whatever it takes. I have Zero morals.
I will take the drive to Graceland..

Swimmer
08-10-2008, 09:18 AM
:hidin:

Whoa.....

piemma
08-10-2008, 09:22 AM
We use to look for holes in the mung and drop our eels in the holes. Always fish laying underneath

Circlehook
08-10-2008, 12:22 PM
3. Eels are bait, bait is easy, be a real man and fish a plug, especially a needlefish, try white, or yellow, moons coming up.

The Elver clan listen to badly played banjo music, have no teeth, sleep with thier sisters, do strange things with chicken necks, salivate at the sight of mittens and call all the uncles "Daddy" just to be sure.

As the Falconer uses his husbandry of the falcon to catch his game, so too does the Elverner manipulate his eels trust for gain. A true "kinship" that exists between an Elverman and his eel, is a rare combination of love/respect. :rtfm:

J-golden
08-10-2008, 08:42 PM
bring a club for the seals.