View Full Version : Opening Ceremonies/Olympics

BigFish
08-09-2008, 06:01 AM
I swore I was not going to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics! However due to the total lack of anything worth while on television....we watched! BOY! Was I glad I did! It was simply an amazing display put on by the country of China! Did anyone else see it?:eyes:

spence
08-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Watched a little bit, visually it was pretty impressive. Amazing what a 100 BILLION dollars will get ya these days...

Just don't say anything bad or they'll beat you down like a Tibetan monk and toss you in the clink :nailem:

There's a wicked mens badminton match on MSNBC right now :hihi:

-spence

Hooper
08-09-2008, 07:12 AM
I watched a lot of it BF. It was pretty incredible in this age of Pixar movies making anything look real, to look at something so spectacular and realize this was not generated by a computer.

ABC television had a special on China hosted by Bob Woodruff the other night, did anyone see that? Life is going to become very different for us all in the years ahead if China continues on the track they are on right now. It was an eye opening show for me...

spence
08-09-2008, 07:22 AM
I watched a lot of it BF. It was pretty incredible in this age of Pixar movies making anything look real, to look at something so spectacular and realize this was not generated by a computer.
Don't fool yourself. That 100 yard long LED screen wasn't run by ducks and pigs :hihi:

Besides, the effects would have all been computer driven. That's not to say that the people didn't do an amazing job though, although I heard 30% of them were from the Chinese Army!

-spence

BasicPatrick
08-09-2008, 09:35 AM
I thought the Ceremony was damn impressive...a great mix of technology and human performance to an unbeleivable level of precision.

I watched when I got in at 5 am after laughing on the beach all night and I that program alone made the extra cost of the digital recorder worth it.

I thought the crowd was also very welcoming cheering for athletes form coutries the Chinese do not always agree with...pretty cool to see the crowd leave politics aside and celebrate the sports as it should be

Two highlights for me

YEOW Ming and the little kid that saved the other little kids brinigng in the Chinese Flag was just beat out by the American Flag bearer being what in my opinion is what good emmagration and the american dream is all about...tears for both of these stories

this Olympic situation could open their eyes (the chinese Gov't) and if they ever join western society this country better watch it's tail becaused this aint Japan, this is China and tey won;t go away

nightfighter
08-09-2008, 01:01 PM
The absolute precision was scary..... especially if you were on the other side of 2008 precision trained combat soldiers. Awesome event, and sobering realization of what e will have to deal with in the future...

ProfessorM
08-09-2008, 04:05 PM
I enjoyed it

spence
08-09-2008, 04:43 PM
The absolute precision was scary..... especially if you were on the other side of 2008 precision trained combat soldiers.
Three words...

Fuel air bomb.

-spence