View Full Version : Blues Weekend

Polar Express
08-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Blue fish finally made it to Plum Island.What's the best way to cook-eat these greasy fish.

EarnedStripes44
08-11-2008, 08:13 AM
on the grill-

KeyWest225
08-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Blue fish finally made it to Plum Island.What's the best way to cook-eat these greasy fish.

Lemon and olive oil mixed with some spices. Soak for a bit then cook on the grill until the fillets start to break apart.

BasicPatrick
08-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Teh best way to eat buefish is as follows

Catch Bluefish
Have fun fighting and landing bluefish
Release bluefish to fight another day
Go to Mcdonalds and order a Filet-o-fish

I don;t like them, but some do...search for recipes and I think you will find some in previous threads

Brother Brian
08-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Fillet em. Scald them in boiling water for about 15-20 seconds. Then I dip them in egg and douse them with bread crumbs that I have mixed Super hot cajun spices. Then fry em up till they are crispy brown in heavy olive oil and consume with steamers and beer.

Pete F.
08-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Slit throat, remove hook. Do not leave laying in sun, in fact if you fillet them immediately and throw them on the grill you will be surprised.

redcrbbr
08-11-2008, 09:13 PM
To be honest with all of you, I do not like bluefish except when it is smoked. There is something about the oilly taste of the flesh that a few years ago I took as a personal challenge to try to overcome. Here is what I found after experimenting with quite a few fillets most of which ended up in the compost.

Brine the fillets with a dry mixture of salt for maybe 10 minutes at the most and then rinse throughly. It actually seems to remove some of the gameyness and tightens up the flesh. I have only done this for the grill so I can't tell you if it helps with other styles of cooking.

woodghost
08-11-2008, 11:36 PM
get a Hot fire going in the fire pit at the beach...
season blue with salt pepper, and fish seasoning..
nail fish to a 2x4...toss 2x4 into fire...
char bluefish dark...
remove bluefish from 2x4 when skin is dropping off ...
trash bluefish///
EAT THE 2x4....plenty of fiber!
just kidding...smoked bluefish is awesome!

The Dad Fisherman
08-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Saute in a pan with Butter, Garlic and sliced Vidalia onions....just got to clean it really quick and cut out the dark fatty stripe when cleaning

Ribeye
08-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Place fillet on large piece of aluminum foil.Pour on as much HOT salsa as you like.Fold foil into pouch then place on preheated grill for about 18 min or untill you think its cooked.Remove,let stand to cool a bit,open pouch and enjoy.Might not be gourmet but its quick and cheaper than pizza.

marky
08-14-2008, 10:45 AM
filet, clean and pat dry then store in zip-lock bag on ice. when your ready to cook it(sooner the better-feed to cat after 24hrs)get a frying pan red hot put paul prudhommes blackend redfish seasoning into baggy w/filets shake it up like shaken bake cook it for 7to10mins a side then serve over a bed of coleslaw with your favorite salsa on top. It is alittle spicy but awesome. proven to be a real crowd pleaser at race point

RickBomba
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Hey Mark,
Who taught you how to use a computer, much less cook?
Your old pal Bomba

choggieman
08-14-2008, 08:21 PM
well bled fish iced immediately and filleted leaving the skin on, soak in 1/4 inch soy sauce, splash of olive oil and as much garlic as you can. grill skin side down til fish is done but not so long as to dry it out. Take it over fluke or striper any day