View Full Version : Mindblowing read for the WW1, WW2 History buffs

RIJIMMY
08-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Im about 1/3 through a book by Pat Buchannan, "Churchill, Hitler and the Unneccesary War"

This book is blowing my mind based on my previous understanding of WWI and Germany's role. It will drastically alter your view of Winston Churchill and details all the mistakes in policy that lead to Hitler and Stalins rise to power.

I highly reccomend this book to any history buffs out there.

Nebe
08-11-2008, 09:02 AM
all wars are unnecessary ;)

Joe
08-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Is it about English appeasment between the wars and Churchill's years a "voice in the wilderness" calling for action before Germany became too powerful?

RIJIMMY
08-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Is it about English appeasment between the wars and Churchill's years a "voice in the wilderness" calling for action before Germany became too powerful?

sort of the opposite...churchills push for bringing England into WWI, his moves, pushed by the US, to shrink the royal Navy, his lapse of the British/Japanese treaty which isolated Japan, etc. It does not paint a nice picture of Churchill. Hindshight is 20/20, but Churchill made a lot of bad moves that could have prevented, if not lessened the impact of the wars.

Joe
08-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Did you ever watch Booknotes (http://www.booknotes.org/home/index.asp)? It used to be on C-SPAN from 1989-1994, Brian Lamb was the host. It was on opposite The Simpsons on Sunday nights, so most people never watched it. It was devoted to discussion of politcal and military history and biography - interviews with authors. You can watch the old shows online.

MarshCappa
08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Sounds like a good read. Another good read is Beyond the Band of Brothers, Maj. Richard Winters memoirs.