View Full Version : Wetsuit Wednesday?

BigFish
08-13-2008, 05:19 PM
I understand a few SBer's got new wetsuits today??? Anyone want to fess up??? I got one! Man it feels great!:kewl:

afterhours
08-13-2008, 05:22 PM
:hee:

redlite
08-13-2008, 05:23 PM
great......ya'll better stay off my stones

BigFish
08-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Got a Henderson Hyperstretch AquaSuede 3MM. Good thing a 3XL fits me or I would need a custom cut that would cost more dough!:happy:

1dozenraw
08-13-2008, 05:32 PM
What do wet suit guys wear on their feet when on the rocks and boulders?

hyefisherman2
08-13-2008, 05:55 PM
boots with korkers

freebie
08-13-2008, 06:00 PM
how tight is a 3x on you larry, I'm thinking about getting one but have nothing to compare size on, I'm 6'2 around 250

johnny ducketts
08-13-2008, 06:19 PM
what mil do you guys use, i have my diving one, but i think it would look like the little kid from a christmas story who couldn't put his arms down. It's a 7 mil, so I think that's a little too much.

johnny ducketts
08-13-2008, 06:20 PM
freebie, I am 6'2 215 and mine is xxl, and fits great.

Squid kids Dad
08-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Larry..We need pictures...

BigFish
08-13-2008, 06:51 PM
I tried on a 7 mil.....it was quite thick! Too much and too restrictive! The suit is as it should be....like a second skin so its pretty tight when dry. I will post pics when I am in full battle dress!:tooth: To find the right fit its important that you try one on before you buy.

BigFish
08-13-2008, 06:52 PM
freebie, I am 6'2 215 and mine is xxl, and fits great.

I am 6'5" and a hershey bar over 300 pounds.....its like stuffing 300 pounds of crap into a 275 pound bag!

numbskull
08-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I ordered one. 5mm Hyperstretch full suit. Got major mixed feelings about the whole thing, but that picture of Redlite was the final straw so we'll see.

eastendlu
08-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I ordered one. 5mm Hyperstretch full suit. Got major mixed feelings about the whole thing, but that picture of Redlite was the final straw so we'll see.

5mm is a good all around thinkness i find my 3mm is good in the warmer months but when the water starts to get cooler the 5mm is the way to go.Good hunting in your new skins Larry just don't fart in them as this scares the fish.;)

BigFish
08-13-2008, 07:26 PM
I thought about when it is cold Lou...water temps up here remain pretty warm until I finish my season.....we will see how they go. If I need thicker for cooler weather....I will buy a thicker pair but the 3 mil will be used the the better part of the season, primarily in warmer weather so I thought the 3 would be fine....it was also recommended by many.

numbskull
08-13-2008, 07:50 PM
great......ya'll better stay off my stones

Are you the young fella with the really short rod?

Rockport24
08-13-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't know about wetsuiting, we're talking swimming to distant rocky perches at night, sometimes in decent surf, with a bunch of other rocks around to get bashed against......right?

either way, I'm sure it's damn effective as we've seen recently

hyefisherman2
08-13-2008, 09:16 PM
guys who think 5mm is too much for summer, do not forget if you get warm just hop in the water and hop back out...or just stay in the water if you are not a rock hopper. but when you do get out of the water and perch your self on a rock, even on a warm night in july, once that wind starts blowing it can get pretty cold. its easier to get cooler then warmer.

Squid kids Dad
08-13-2008, 09:20 PM
guys who think 5mm is too much for summer, do not forget if you get warm just hop in the water and hop back out...or just stay in the water if you are not a rock hopper. but when you do get out of the water and perch your self on a rock, even on a warm night in july, once that wind starts blowing it can get pretty cold. its easier to get cooler then warmer.

You speaking from expericence??

hyefisherman2
08-13-2008, 09:27 PM
You speaking from expericence??

friends experience. :tooth:

hyefisherman2
08-13-2008, 09:28 PM
although ive been looking at suits all year...thinking about getting rid of the drytop and buying one my self

Goose
08-13-2008, 09:45 PM

imo, If your going to own one suit get the 5mm, Its also noticeably more buoyant. I use a 3mm and even with a rain top in sept nights its not as comfortable. Summer time 3mm is fine,, You will be a little more amphibious but so what, bass have moved to cooler waters. Using aggressive korkers is a must. If you can afford to own 3 and 5 even better.

Pete_G
08-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Someone's going to need to be rescued by the Coast Guard soon, it's just a matter of time. :laugha:

Seriously though, recognize your limitations. I don't care how good a swimmer you are (I used to run triathalons, although swimming wasn't my strong suit) it's a different game toting along all that gear. I had brief moment of concern tonight when there was a little more current then I expected, missed the middle bar I usually rest on, and had to go ALL the way to my final spot in one shot. I was in Newport and I thought my next stop was Cuttyhunk. Remember you float if/when you get tired. Once I realized I was off course and got a little tired I just "idled" in place for a while and then continued on my way. When you start breathing hard that's when you're vulnerable to s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g in some unexpected sea water, take a break if you can.

As Goose said 3mm is a short season. I'm already back in my 5mm on most nights. If only one it should be a 5mm and it is much more bouyant if you want to just float. That said, those of us who have more "natural" insulation don't chill off as easily. For me when I'm in a 3mm on a 70 degree dry night I really struggle to stay warm enough after evaporative cooling takes place.

The new Korkers shoes with interchangable soles are THE ideal boot for this sort of activity. They aren't just better, more importantly they are safer. You can swim much better in them then a dive boot and Korkers as they are dramatically lighter. Just get appropriate neoprene socks to go underneath.

http://korkers.com/photos/product/large/5095eb0e26340ffdbd89e79d7cb2f1c.jpg

Some sort of gloves are highly advisable, Aquaskinz or similar. Pulling yourself up on rocks (or grabbing them as you get knocked off) hurts without them.

Be safe out there...

PaulS
08-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Where are you guys buying your suits and what's the approx. cost?

Thanks

(for some reason I keep thinking of sausages)

reelecstasy
08-14-2008, 07:29 AM
I am just waiting for the fall before I get mine. 1/2 price on the used ones...

I did put on a Hyperstretch and it is very comfortable, nice grab BF...
Don't go scaring the bejesus out of me out at a certain mouth, would be like hitting an iceburg...:eek:

Back Beach
08-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Got a Henderson Hyperstretch AquaSuede 3MM. Good thing a 3XL fits me or I would need a custom cut that would cost more dough!:happy:

Wait until the first time you piss in it. I hear its exhilerating. :eek5:

Seriously Larry, good luck, you'll make a great seal...

bassballer
08-14-2008, 08:11 AM
I have a 5mm and its a great all around suit. Not to hot. If im sweating i just take a quick dip and im fine for couple hours. For socks i use 2mm dive socks with wetsuit boots that I drilled dry wall screws into the bottom of. Traction is great but they lack a little ankle support. Going to have to get something else before I get to the hunk. Aqua skins gloves on the hands. Gloves are the NECESSITY. And what I think is almost as important as the gear itself is only carry minimal of it! If im plugging, its rod/reel, plug bag thats it.

NIB
08-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Someone's going to need to be rescued by the Coast Guard soon, it's just a matter of time. :laugha:

Seriously though, recognize your limitations. I don't care how good a swimmer you are (I used to run triathalons, although swimming wasn't my strong suit) it's a different game toting along all that gear.
As Goose said 3mm is a short season. I'm already back in my 5mm on most nights. If only one it should be a 5mm and it is much more bouyant if you want to just float. That said, those of us who have more "natural" insulation don't chill off as easily. For me a when I'm in a 3mm on a 70 degree dry night and I really struggle to stay warm enough after evaporative cooling takes place.:hihi:

The new Korkers shoes with interchangable soles are THE ideal boot for this sort of activity. They aren't just better, more importantly they are safer. You can swim much better in them then a dive boot and Korkers as they are dramatically lighter. Just get appropriate neoprene socks to go underneath.

http://korkers.com/photos/product/large/5095eb0e26340ffdbd89e79d7cb2f1c.jpg

Some sort of gloves are highly advisable, Aquaskinz or similar. Pulling yourself up on rocks (or grabbing them as you get knocked off) hurts without them.

Be safe out there...

This is no lie.I use a 3/2 it does not float u as well as a 5..
Had a few close calls when conditions where more harsh on a 50 yd swim.NIB is not so smart..It will tire ya out quick..
Like Pete said with all the gear an boots on it is hard to swim..
I used my rod to pole me along after a while and it saved my butt..You must remember to stay calm..
I like the new Korker boots.They are a little high but nivce an light.

shadow
08-14-2008, 08:30 AM
i only own one suit and a 5mm is it for me, but I am always cold.I wear chota wading boots w/ sheet metal screws and 3mm dive socks.traveling lite is always my goal whether wetsuiting or not. remember to bring a small rope along to bring a fish back swimming w/ a rod in one hand and a fish in the other can't be to easy.

WoodyCT
08-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Those short little boogie board fins look like they might me of some use when trying to get to far off rocks. Hang them off the back of your belt on a carabiner until it's time to swim back in??

Redsoxticket
08-14-2008, 09:08 AM
good luck & be safe Chumley.

:think:,
small inflated tire tube to navigate to perches along with hauling large bass back to shore or a lunch box. :hihi:

ThrowingTimber
08-14-2008, 01:07 PM

I sooo totally agree :faga::laugha:

Back Beach
08-14-2008, 01:24 PM
I sooo totally agree :faga::laugha:

Hopefully its just a rescue.

Joe
08-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent.

Swimmer
08-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Its a movie about surfing. Its ironic that you made mention of buying a xxxl wetsuit on Wednesday.

I think 3 mil is the way to go. Numbskull, 5 mil will tire the arm out pretty quick I bet. Keep you warm and float you like no tomorrow though.

Tagger
08-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Larry ... If you don't mind ,, about how many stones that cost .. You buy local ? brand name .? are some better than others .. ?

afterhours
08-14-2008, 04:17 PM
this is all Z's fault.....:humpty:

numbskull
08-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Larry ... If you don't mind ,, about how many stones that cost .. You buy local ? brand name .? are some better than others .. ?

Eddy, I ordered mine from Divers market in plymouth. They have 10% off and no sales tax this coming weekend. It was about 300 bucks when all said and done, including socks. I plan to try wading boots initially. I got the hyperstretch henderson because most people seem to agree it is worth the extra money for a flexible suit and this brand was recommended by many. I got a full suit because that is what I see pictures of most people wearing and I didn't want to spend extra money for several different neoprene jackets in order to get the greater versatility of the farmer john style. I got the 5mm because I don't want to be cold and 7mm sounds like too much for most of the year. I suspect I'm nuts.

eastendlu
08-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Eddy, I ordered mine from Divers market in plymouth. They have 10% off and no sales tax this coming weekend. It was about 300 bucks when all said and done, including socks. I plan to try wading boots initially. I got the hyperstretch henderson because most people seem to agree it is worth the extra money for a flexible suit and this brand was recommended by many. I got a full suit because that is what I see pictures of most people wearing and I didn't want to spend extra money for several different neoprene jackets in order to get the greater versatility of the farmer john style. I got the 5mm because I don't want to be cold and 7mm sounds like too much for most of the year. I suspect I'm nuts.

I suspect you are correct welcome to the club.:laugha:

Clogston29
08-14-2008, 05:00 PM
word of advise, be carefull where and when you decide to swim out. to most people on shore, someone a few hundred yards offshore on a rough night is in trouble, not fishing. had the police and fire department out looking for us one night with spotlights. have heard of others having similar experiences.

also, i'd recommend loading up with all the stuff that you'll carry when you fish and going for a swim on a calm day if you're at all not sure of your swiming ability or overall fitness level.

that's all for if your actually swimming, for just deep wading and not having to worry about filling waders if you mis-step, just go for it, the wetsuit is much safer and more comfortable than waders and a dry top (and more cost effective since dry tops inherintly suck and don't last long at all)

Clogston29
08-14-2008, 05:22 PM
tough to beat being out there though

redlite
08-14-2008, 05:31 PM
larry, i'd love to swim with....bigger meal than me for the sharks.
when using it, a few pointers
1 never jump off rocks. ALWAYS sit on bum and slide in
2 when coming into shore, kind of sit with legs out and infront so if wave pushes you in you don't get buried face first or break leg getting pushed in to rocks
3 always check gear is secure everytime u get in water so you don't lose stuff

afterhours
08-14-2008, 05:43 PM
good stuff mike! it's great to have some of our experienced wetsuiters chime in with pointers and helpfull hints.

BigFish
08-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Mike I would give myself a smelly jelly rubdown to go fishing with you!!:laugha: Seriously though, I really only bought mine to give me the "deep wading" advantage and to rid myself of the worry of getting swamped in my waders! I have been lifegaurd certified so I am good in the water for sure! I plan on deep wading but who knows...as long as my shoulders are wet I am sure I will find myself on a rock or two before too long! I also have to agree with Don....having a few guys who are experienced lend their support and knowledge is truly appreciated!:tooth:

Many folks have mentioned the Henderson Hyperstretch AquaSuede suit to me so I figured how can I go wrong? As Numby said....3 bills with da socks! South Shore Divers in Weymouth Eddie!

Clogston29
08-14-2008, 06:40 PM
also, always carry a good knife that you can access quickly with one hand

Tagger
08-14-2008, 06:57 PM
What about fit ? .. They strech like a big condom ? or you have to try a bunch on ? I've been eyeing some rocks.. I'd swim to them a couple of times daytime before trying nights . Or does that bring a new meaning to boat traffic ?

Tagger
08-14-2008, 07:02 PM
not being silly ... You wear anything under wet suits (shorts) ??.. Just thinking I'd have to change on the side of the road ..

Pete_G
08-14-2008, 07:07 PM
What about fit ? .. They strech like a big condom ? or you have to try a bunch on ? I've been eyeing some rocks.. I'd swim to them a couple of times daytime before trying nights . Or does that bring a new meaning to boat traffic ?

Like a glove but not too tight. Definitely try a few on if you can. A loose wetsuit lets water pass through which is something you don't want once it gets a bit colder.

Ocean State Job Lot can be a great place to score an inexpensive wetsuit if you want to give it a try.

tlapinski
08-14-2008, 07:22 PM
larry, i'd love to swim with....bigger meal than me for the sharks.
when using it, a few pointers
1 never jump off rocks. ALWAYS sit on bum and slide in
2 when coming into shore, kind of sit with legs out and infront so if wave pushes you in you don't get buried face first or break leg getting pushed in to rocks
3 always check gear is secure everytime u get in water so you don't lose stuff

Where is Max? I want his advice on the best way to prop a rod and reel atop a rock before you climb on up... :hihi:

hardbait
08-14-2008, 07:27 PM
maybe you guys can go with roy to south beach and try em out sharkin

Zeno
08-14-2008, 07:34 PM
this is all Z's fault.....:humpty:

Yeah right
First it was metal lips
then it was white water
eel skin madness
and now wetsuit
The Ruski running over Georgians is the next thing I will get blamed for

Seriously ,wetsuit should be used as a "tool" not an solution.
Eventually, you get more comfortable and you start eyeing rocks that you shouldn't. Every time I get on a ##$%^&& rock I think I see one a little further out. Them you try to get it only to find a jaded piece of real estate you cant stay on. Another annoying wetsuit thing is using a rod as a cane. Last Friday night I was solo on the Montauk south side when my but cap broke while wading and a rock got in and stuck.Every time I casted the rock flew forward and then backwards.Its was like having a rattle in my rod....hmmmmm maybe that is why that cow ate my rigged eel on a second cast ? There might be something to it:huh:

Another thing to consider is BAGS. I put in caps because they will drive you nuts. You think you can get on a rock with your standard bag , you should of seen me at Cutty for almost half an hour trying to get up on a rock at SW. Every #$%$^&* time I got up like a seal by sliding on my stomach ,my Hunter bag (which weighs 50 lb with water) would pull me down. My partner was pissing in his pants laughing. I had to take the bag off and put it on the rock. Then I placed the rod on the rock. Now I only had to get on before the wave washed the bag and rod off the rock. It wasn't pretty....be careful out there
Get a smallest bag for your needs....

woodghost
08-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Glad to hear an old salt like Z having the same problem a pleabe like me is having!:jester: Zeno when i see white water now all i can haer is your heavy accent saying" tro a Metal lip"...Are you to blame for the price of oil? Thanks for the lecture at the Risaa show this past spring and your book i learned alot !:cheers:

Zeno
08-15-2008, 04:00 AM
"old salt"?
please :eek:
I trip on my own feet in the driveway ,never mind moss covered rocks

btw
remember to lay off the chilli and beans when wetsuiting

Zeno
08-15-2008, 04:03 AM
those of you who think wetsuit are restrictive ,might consider this Olympic model for your daytime excursions.:jump::jump::jump:

NIB
08-15-2008, 05:01 AM
There should be a warning on that..:smash::yak5:
:rotf2:

ThrowingTimber
08-15-2008, 07:12 AM
:mad:

MY EYES THEY BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hyefisherman2
08-15-2008, 08:45 AM
very niceeee that is a borat!

WoodyCT
08-15-2008, 08:58 AM
I guess the fins are a no-no. I do like the idea of a floatie to lug snacks and gear though.

woodghost
08-15-2008, 09:21 PM
I think instead of sizes they should have wieght limits! Oh i see a new business potential...floating snack/beer boat...think beer cart for golfers! Twinkies get your twinkies...ice cold wobbly pops here...metal lip swimmers.. get your metal lips while their hot...:fishin:

BigFish
08-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Just went and ordered my suit! Picked it out the other day but figured I would wait until this weekend to purchase it and save a few shillings......for the VS reel I am gonna need now!!:smash:

Also changed from the 3 mil to a 5 mil!