View Full Version : .406

Ed B
08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Do you think this record will ever fall? The more time that goes by, the more Ted Williams looks like the last to hit .400. With all the middle relievers, set up men, and closers that a guy has to face today as well as playing late night games and lots of travel, I think this one may stand forever.

If it ever does fall it will probably be by a singles hitter with lots of speed, but certainly not a guy who could hit for power like Teddy Ballgame. In 1941 he hit .406 , 37 HR's and 120 RBI's.

PS. Curt Gowdy called Williams the best all around fisherman he ever saw.

Ed

afterhours
08-14-2008, 02:05 PM
i knew a guy who fished with ted in fla and canada- said he was an awesome fisherman and fishing is what he liked best. records are made to be broken- i think it will fall someday to a single hitting speedster type- no power #'s...i wish they'd take his head out of the bob tank and properly intere..

The Dad Fisherman
08-14-2008, 02:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken Ted is the only guy in 2 Hall of Fames

Baseball and Fishing

BigFish
08-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Ted doesn't just look like the last guy to hit .400....he is! Nobody will ever do it.....but then again.....never say never!

BigFish
08-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Oh...and by the way.....Ted traveled on trains mostly....did not have the luxury or speed of a jet! (Except when he was in the service!) Players today are so pampered its not funny....and they complain more and sit out for hang nails!

Raider Ronnie
08-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Oh...and by the way.....Ted traveled on trains mostly....did not have the luxury or speed of a jet! (Except when he was in the service!) Players today are so pampered its not funny....and they complain more and sit out for hang nails!

Lots of people from that era have told me Ted was as much an %$%$%$%$%$%$%$ as Manny is today !
Ted, GREAT hitter, average to below average fielder, so so baseball player, excellent fisherman,

Mike P
08-14-2008, 04:43 PM
If I'm not mistaken Ted is the only guy in 2 Hall of Fames

Baseball and Fishing

Cal Hubbard. In both Canton and Cooperstown.

ProfessorM
08-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Probably not. Don't forget how much time he missed in his prime to serve his country or he might be ahead of big head now too. The one that surprise's me is the triple crown. Yaz being last and that was a long time ago. I would have thought it would have been done by now.

striperking70
08-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Do you think this record will ever fall? The more time that goes by, the more Ted Williams looks like the last to hit .400. With all the middle relievers, set up men, and closers that a guy has to face today as well as playing late night games and lots of travel, I think this one may stand forever.

If it ever does fall it will probably be by a singles hitter with lots of speed, but certainly not a guy who could hit for power like Teddy Ballgame. In 1941 he hit .406 , 37 HR's and 120 RBI's.

PS. Curt Gowdy called Williams the best all around fisherman he ever saw.

Ed

Since when is .406 a record?:confused: