View Full Version : Shimano Kangaroo tackle bag

StarsnStripers
11-13-2002, 12:43 PM
It took me a while to look up a good tackle bag for me to carry around. Finally, SSX and I came across the Shimano Kangaroo in medium. There sizes are medium large and jumbo.
Does anyone use a Shimano Kangaroo bag? Does anyone know of a better soft tackle bag for $50 or so?? I like the kangaroo, and I am thinking about the large size, but will 14.5 x 11 x 7.5
be difficult to carry around?? My choices are

Medium: 12 x 12.5 x 8
Large: 14.5 x 11 x 7.5
Jumbo: 20.5 x 9.5 x 18.5

My tackle fills up a three tray plano...which should I go with??
(Remember i am also gonna haul around 2 rods and a surf spike):err: :err: :grins:

StarsnStripers
11-13-2002, 12:45 PM
Also, the
Medium: includes 4 trays
Large: includes 8 trays
Jumbo: includes 10 trays

Heres a pic of a medium:

StarsnStripers
11-13-2002, 12:45 PM
heres the pic, last message got screwed up...

tlapinski
11-13-2002, 12:46 PM
without seeing the picture, if you want something for the surf, i would suggest a canyon bag or a bronco bag.

StarsnStripers
11-13-2002, 12:53 PM
t. lapinski, could you give me a link with those bags for sale??

tlapinski
11-13-2002, 01:17 PM
SnS - empty your pm box!

StarsnStripers
11-13-2002, 01:38 PM
there was only 5 messages in my PM box, but I emptied it anyway.
Go ahead and send it!:p

JohnR
11-13-2002, 01:51 PM
Make sure your sent and tracking are empty too.

Why do you want a big bag like that? Think about it, surfcasting involves a lot of "walks on the beach", eh? So why would you want to lug arouns a "medium" that you could fill with 25#s of junk... Go light young man! Get a little bag that can hold 5 plugs, leader material, snaps & swivels, a spare light and batteries, hooks, spare pliers, & a snipper - when properly done, it will weight less than 5 pounds have the essentials for a night out in the suds. As you cast and work a beach, it's strapped over your shoulder and you can really move around without worrying where all your junk is.

Another suggestion for you to consider. Next March, The Mass Striped Bass will (should) hold their fishing show in Plymouth, Mass. Go in with a budget and a small list of what you NEED. You'll find a lot of selection and some good deals too. There area also a bunch of seminars that you can see some of the pros on.

tlapinski
11-13-2002, 01:58 PM
SnS - i sent you a PM. let me know if you need anything else.

StarsnStripers
11-13-2002, 02:21 PM
thanks t.lapinski

John, I think it would suit me fine because most of the time I will be remaining in one general area (fox point power plant where the fence ends at that water current, for the winter) so I can leave it beside me instead of around my shoulder, like a tackle box. Also, I am going to be doing alot of fishing from my 14' Sea eagle, but when I am surfcasting, I will have to put some muscles into use and run around with that big bag. Is it really that big?? Sounds like the size of a 3 tray tackle box to me.

JohnR
11-13-2002, 02:23 PM
My surf bag is 12 inches high x 14 wide x 6 deep....

You don't need to carry that much stuff, really - I used to think you did...

tlapinski
11-13-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by John R
My surf bag is 12 inches high x 14 wide x 6 deep....

You don't need to carry that much stuff, really - I used to think you did...

yes you do! why do you think i have a truck? it is just a tackle box with wheels and an engine! :D :ss:

JohnR
11-13-2002, 02:30 PM
Yeh but not in the bag... Now, ask about pouches and wader bekts, and shoulder harness, and....

StarsnStripers
11-13-2002, 02:31 PM
Well this kangaroo medium is Medium: 12 x 12.5 x 8, even smaller.

Here's the contents of my current tackle box (I hate boxes)

Trays:
5 Swimming plugs and lipless crankbaits
9 Topwater plugs or poppers or chuggers or watever there called
4 kastmasters of assorted sizes
A Luhr Jenson Krokadile and a hopkins No=Eql
2 Crippled herrings

Bottom:
2 glad containers, one filled with soft plastics and another with hooks/weights/swivels
4 packages of storm wildeye swimbaits
2 spro bucktails 1/2 ounce
Powerbait scent attractent and jar of sea rinds

Do you think this would all fit comfortably in it? I also like about the soft bags is that I see people carrying a water bottle in the mesh pouch, and also like to add my titanium shimano pliers in another small pouch...:D

StarsnStripers
11-13-2002, 02:33 PM
lol t. lapinski, can;t wait till I'm old enough to buy one, savin up for my Luhrs 44 first.

Mike P
11-13-2002, 03:06 PM
If that Shimano bag used to be royal blue, I have it and several Plano bags. But their purpose is to carry 5-6 boxes of various lures in my truck, in semi-organized fashion. Once I'm on-site, I fill a regular surf bag from what's in the plastic trays.

You'd be surprised at what a large Canyon or Bronco bag will hold. The largest Canyon bag has 21 inserts, a big flap pocket on the side that will hold a box of bucktail jigs to 2 oz, and 6 or 7 slots in the front of the bag that will hold metal or lead and plastic. And, the middle and top row plug inserts will hold doubles and triples. I can probably carry 50 lures in mine if I ever felt the need.

Actually, except for the 9 poppers (try cutting it down to 3, a white, a yellow and a blue/white), everything you have will fit neatly into a medium sized Bronco or Canyon, one with 10 inserts, a side flap pocket for a spare spool and jig box, and 6 front slots for metal.

Besides all of the lures, you can put stuff like a spool of leader material, some bags of plastic trailers, a AA Maglite and a small bottle of reel oil between the last inserts and the fabric of the bag. From time to time I've also kept a hook file and a spare pair of pliers in there. It all fits.

Striper SniperX
11-19-2002, 03:23 AM
T. Lapinski ,,, could you please PM that Bronco/Canyon Tackle Bag link to me?? I am Very Interested and would like to see it/ know the price range,,,

Also,, where could i pick one up? Does Quaker Lane Bait & Tackle Carry ANY Tackle Bags ??

I am Going to get a $400 Gift Certificate to Sports Athoroty, they have the Rod AND Reel i want,,, as well as a few lures and Cheap Waiders that i would like to pick up,,,, and also getting $100 to Boaters World for some more Lures and High Quality Rain gear,,, instead of my $15 PVC suit, <lol>

Does Quaker Lane have Gift Certificates ? do they have alot of Penn Reels and Rods?? how about tackle?

I been in there once,,, a while ago when on our way to go camping <bait> didn't pay attention to what they had,,,
Do they have a website ?? OR catalog ??

Thanks Guys!

Fishpart
11-19-2002, 07:09 AM
SSX, let me tell you from EXPERIENCE waders are not the place to save money. You can fish in a much better frame of mind when your dogs aren't barking at ya and you don't have that sweaty chafing feeling. :wall:

tlapinski
11-19-2002, 08:19 AM
SSX - do a search on www.google.com for them. i don't know if quaker lane has them. personally, i won't go in there again! been burned a couple times. not too fond of there employees. called once to see if they had a certain lure in stock in a certain color. the kid on the phone said yes they did. made the trip over there, 45 minutes out of the way, and they didn't have it! i wanted black/purple, they had blue/white! the kid said if you look at it a certain way, it looks prurple! :af: :af: :af: he is lucky i didn't :rocketem: :nailem: !!!!!

anyway, the bags run from about $35 - about $70, depending on which model you get. i have the deluxe bronco bag for smaller stuff, and the two row conyon bag for larger stuff. my surfcaster bag hasn't made it out to the suyrf in some time, just too heavy. i also have made o few surf bags out of bags i got at an army/navy store. those work pretty good if you are on a budget. just buy some tubing, PVC or vacuum cleaner tubes, and cut them to fit in the bag. tape or hot-glue the tubes together, and you are in business.

Striper SniperX
11-19-2002, 10:22 AM
Thanks T.Lapinski,
Besides Rude Service, Does Quaker Have a good selection of saltwater stuff? they say they have over '10,000' items in stock, not sure how true it is,,, how are there prices ?? It is a bit out of the way, but if they have all the stuff i need , i would go there..

Fishpart,, I have heard that,, but i would be using them around january for Quahogging from shore, i know the ground is harder then,, will be more of a work-out,,, but worth it..

I also want them for Spring Fish,,, they are $89.99 Breathable Waders, with the inside pocker, and belt so they don't fill up as easy,,, i wont go past my waste anyways,, waves can splash up to your chest sometimes .. I hope they are on sale i.e. Like $69.99 or something,, so i have more $$ to buy lures and assesorys like Knives and all..

You know of any waders for this price or cheaper that would do me good?? there pupose would be Cold water mostly,, i would have heavy clothing under anyways.. and maybe some sring wading.. so it's okay if they are warm ones..

Also, This Bronco or Canyon bag,,, is there anyway you could post up a picture so i can get an idea ? if you don't have a cam, i understand... could you give me the Approximate Demensions of it ?? and what you have in it, <contents> so i can see if all my stuff will fit with room for additional lures or terminal Tackle...

Or does ANYONE on here have one of them bags, who has a picture handy, along with Appx Measurements ?? i would greatly appreciate it :)

Thanks again....

Jenn
11-19-2002, 12:44 PM
why do you think i have a truck? it is just a tackle box with wheels and an engine!

a-yup//////only problem for me is when I fish without my tackle box on wheels I have a hard time trying to "downsize"......so I throw everything into the surf bag .......cant carry the damn thing.....take some stuff out......only use two different plugs and NEED everything that I left behind!!!!!....never fails......:rolleyes:

one of these days I will find balance!!!:smash:

Bill L
11-19-2002, 12:47 PM
Quaker Lane does have a decent selection of saltwater stuff, inlcuding a couple surf bags. Last time I was in there I looked at one, not sure of the maker, with an embroidered striper on the cover flap; looked pretty nice, I think it was around $40.

I'm always skeptical of who is behind the counter at any tackle shop; sometimes they have a clue, sometimes they don't. But you can be pretty sure that the person at WalMart or Sports Authority definitely does NOT have a clue.

I also found a royal blue Shimano soft bag earlier this year, a great buy at $20. Holds six boxes and has several pockets for a bunch of spare stuff. I leave this in my trunk to fill my shoulder bags depending on the need at the time, and take it on the boat with me.

MountainBreeze
11-19-2002, 12:49 PM
To quote a favorite McD's commercial of mine:
"Who said less is more??? MORE IS MORE!!"

And.. that is what you will be saying if you are luggin' that big a' bag, chock full a' stuff.

Believe me, I used a back pack and brought the kitchen sink. Man did my back / shoulders hurt after a day on the water!

I WILL be pickin' up a nice, small, surf bag for the spring!

Good luck,
Rob

Striper SniperX
11-19-2002, 03:40 PM
Thanks,, Does Quaker Lane Have Gift Certificates??

That Bag with the striper on it,, Appx how big was it ?

I have a good number of stuff, not an extreme ammount, but alot,, would this all fit in one of them?
Here Is my List,, Read it if you like, and please let me know if MOST of it will fit... thanks

My Current Plano Large 3 Tray has......

*2- Big Rat L' Traps <Diff-Colors>about 3 1/2"
*2- Adams Striper-Swiper plugs about 4" <diff colors>
*2- Kastmasters. Not sure of sizes <also have 1 mini one for snappers> about 1"!
*1- Patriot Popper plug Appx 4" <red,wht,blue>
*1- Large Krocodile Spoon, about 4" .<1 1/2 - 2oz.not sure>
*1- Small Krocodile Spoon, About 1oz
*1- 2oz Crippled Herring 3"
*1- Bomber Saltwater, 3 1/2"
*5- Small Rat'l Traps - <all Diff Colors> 3"
*1- Big, Rigged w/ weighted 'action-lip' head 16" Felmlee eel,, 19" with head,,<really nice,, it can 'roll-up' to fit in a side pouch, though...and it don't have to come>
*1-Key-Largo Ball Bucktail Jig, 1oz
*1- Hurricane Bucktail with mini bucktail trailer/teaser
*1-Package of Power-Bait Inshore White 'Power-Pogy' Bodies
**---Along with a buch of other assorted Soft Plastics, Including,eels. Big Curly Tail Grubs,,ETC etc..., i can take 2 of each one,,all i should need...
*1- SnappaStopper 3" rolled up <doesn't need to come, either>
*1- Sekora 2-1/2 oz Diamond Jig w/ tube....5" w/ hook folded..

Now, "Terminal-Tackle"

*1- Tautog Rig
*1- Striped-Bass Rig w/Float
*1- Pack of Mustad Ultra Point Circle (eel-hooks)
*1-Pack of 2 sizes Mustad Silver- Saltwater Hooks 4/0 & 5/0
*2- 2 oz Bank Sinkers, 2- 3oz Bank Sinkers
*1-pack of Hurricane Painted 'bunker-color' Jig Heads- about 1/2 to 1oz
*1- pack of 30lb test Snap Swivels,, 1- pack of 20lb Snap Swivels
*1- pAcK of Eagle Claw: Saltwater 6/0 hooks
*2- steel leadered Bluefish Chum-Chunk Hooks
*and more-- i will put all hooks in a side pocket, or smaller utlity box in my Soft Tackle Bag

Finally,,"Assesorys i would like to take"

*1 - Berkley Scale <50lb Capacity> about 8"
*1 'Bowie' Knive 10" LOA-- 5" Blade w/ Sheath
*1 Pair of Needle Nose Pliars .. About 7"
*1 'All-in-one-tool' 4" folded
*1 Extra Spool Of line , 15 or 20 # Probably Trilene Big Game, Or Inshore,, Inshoe comes in a 'fliler-spool' so it would fit better,,, WHAT IS THE BETTER LINE for shore,pier and a bit of inshore boat fishing ?? what Lb Test of each is best ?

*Mini 'First-Aid' Kit,, <Contents, 3 Medium Bandades-2 Big ones, 2 packged 'wet-Anit-Bacterial-napkins' and a normal napkin, as well as 3 asprins- Just Incase ;) > i like to be prepaired,, ya never know when you can get a fish hook stuck in your hand,, or a bluefish bite,,even a bad slip- n fall on a rock :) Asprins will take the pain so you can still fish :p the 'first-aid' kit is only like 3" in a little platic box!

*Abu-Garcia 1oz Bottle of 'REEL-OIL' and a little tube of 'REEL-LUBE',,,as well as a few rags to clean sand off it,, as well as a rag to clean your hands after releasing a fish...

And Much More Stuff

Also, would like to Have ALOT of BULK STORAGE in a tackle bag that i choose,, i love bulk storage,, never a worry about room that way,,i can fold up my rain coat and squeeze it in there,, etc,, also good for sea-rinds and extra reel spools

The Reason i put how many Inches the Item was after each item was to give you an idea of how big it is,, so you could tell if it could fit well with room to spare in a good size tackle bag :)

also,
The Reason i want to take So Much, is that , i would also be using the bag in my boat when i fix it,,, Surf fishing as well as Pier, Dock and Wharf Fishing.... i cannot deal with a big bulky heavy plano box anymore,, plus i have to carry it,, with the strap on a bag i could hold more in my hands and walk faster.... i like this idea :)

I like tackle bags,, hope i can find one Big enough for what i want to keep in it,, but small enough to 'not-get-in-the-way' and weight is not an issue,, my current box has about 13lbs of gear with the knive and scale etc,, and it is fine carrying around,, just holding the handle of the box,, sometimes it slips ,, plus yer hands get tierd... shoulder strap would make my fishing experience so much nicer,,and convient...

Thanks IN advance for Any Replys

Have a good one!
Hope i didn't write TOO much of a Novel ,Once I get typing i can't stop,, i like getting into detail, but if anyone did read it,, and has a an idea of the bag that is right for me,, or has any links or Pictures of Tackle bags like that ,, in the $40/$60 range,, i would love to see them :)

Thanks again!

Christian
11-19-2002, 04:33 PM
get a backpack. i have or had (my dad got jealous and took it back) a nice ems back pack with hip straps best bag ever. i normally only had 2 boxes in it but plenty of plastic. a bowie knife? better make it a pocket knife. first aid kit. ha! ok and antibacterial napkins, well thats not a bad idea. wait.....yeah it is what are you going soft.:D ;) imagine how much all that stuff will feel on your back after a two mile hike in soft sand. thats a good twelve pounds of stuff minis the antibacterial napkins.:laughs: i think your going to need a bigger bag.

Striper SniperX
11-19-2002, 09:57 PM
"get a backpack. i have or had (my dad got jealous and took it back) a nice ems back pack with hip straps best bag ever."
**IS it made for SurfCastin?? or just a normal back pak wit some boxes in it?? How Much?

"a bowie knife? better make it a pocket knife."
**Pocket Knife isn't this sharp, or strong,, i can crack oyster shells with this thing man,,, i would also use it to 'Gut' and Fillet Fish... that's why it's so big,, nice tho

"first aid kit. ha! ok and antibacterial napkins, well thats not a bad idea."
**Hell Yeah Man,, Ever Bust ya Knee on a Rock and have like sand an salt all up in it ?? not fun,, and if it's all bleeding an gets all over my Air Force Ones, i aint to happy --Not that i use 'em for fishing,, i use my big crushin boots,,lol,,, but they can like seal a cut so it don't be bleedin all ova you all day, and them Napkins ,, they can clean an infection out of a cut, even like a bluefish bite,, they get mad infected..... i just like 2 be prepaired,, it's only like 3oz of stuff,, don't matter at all! ,, fits all in a lil' 4" clear box..

"imagine how much all that stuff will feel on your back after a two mile hike in soft sand."
**NOT ONLY will i be Shore Fishing man, I will be BOAT fishing as well as PIER,JETTY,DOCK<etc> Fishing ... i want to carry alot of stuff,, 12lbs aint nothing ,, i carried my plano ,, about 16lbs,, i was wrong,, i weiged it w/ my scale today ,, it's 16.7lbs!! and it does fine,, so with 12 lbs,, Lighter bag,, i'll be fine,,, Plus i am WAY too lazy to be walkin 2 miles,,, that won't happen anyways,,, not where i fish at least,, can't venture that far....

"thats a good twelve pounds of stuff minis the antibacterial napkins"
**Jealous?? Just Kidding,, Napkins ,, they fold up,, don't even know they be there,,, i like it,,, you will want one to,, when you get cut bad and want to fish regardless of da cut,,, or you bust yer leg on a slimy rock,, they help!! the lil' asprins be helpin 2 , infact,, u take one,, and bust yet knee on rocks for fun,,, lol <jk>
I kno it's alot of stuff, i will organize it down once i have the bag and know what and what can't be in there.... :D

Later,,
see yas!