View Full Version : hey Spence...

Nebe
08-17-2008, 02:50 PM
this is what I was telling you about on the phone.. 17th century venetian blown glass rettichello reproduction... :smokin:

striperman36
08-17-2008, 03:25 PM
How that is made by hand must be totally amazing

UserRemoved1
08-17-2008, 03:34 PM
nebe you blow

nice glass

Nebe
08-17-2008, 03:44 PM
i pulled a 70 foot long rod of glass with a colored core.. I do this down the sidewalk :hihi:

break the rod up into about 60 lengths that are aprox 7" long...

Then you lay aprox 30 lenghts side by side on a cast iron plate that is coated with silica and alumina so it wont stick and heat it up in the furnace until its sort of soft. Roll it up on the end of the pipe, close the end (you now have a striped bubble) and twist it counter clock wise, then blow it out to a wine glass shaped cup- Put in an oven at 1200 degrees... then repeat the whole proccess all over agian, but twist the bubble exactly the same way as the first cup, but in the opposite direction... Blow that cup into the 1st cup.. heat the crap out of it so that the trapped air pockets pool up into round bubbles.. transfer the cup to another pipe, trim up the bottom to crisp up the pattern... blow it out to the final shape. Transfer to a pontil, open the lip and flare out to a disc....

phew....

Nebe
08-17-2008, 03:46 PM
heres another view of it..

basswipe
08-17-2008, 03:52 PM
That truly is beautiful.Amazing to say the least.

striperman36
08-17-2008, 04:12 PM
i pulled a 70 foot long rod of glass with a colored core.. I do this down the sidewalk :hihi:

Then you lay aprox 30 lenghts side by side on a cast iron plate that is coated with silica and alumina so it wont stick and heat it up in the furnace until its sort of soft. Roll it up on the end of the pipe, close the end (you now have a striped bubble) and twist it counter clock wise, then blow it out to a wine glass shaped cup- Put in an oven at 1200 degrees... then repeat the whole proccess all over agian, but twist the bubble exactly the same way as the first cup, but in the opposite direction... Blow that cup into the 1st cup.. heat the crap out of it so that the trapped air pockets pool up into round bubbles.. transfer the cup to another pipe, trim up the bottom to crisp up the pattern... blow it out to the final shape. Transfer to a pontil, open the lip and flare out to a disc....

phew....

like making candy only hotter!!

striperman36
08-17-2008, 04:18 PM
BTW, congrats on make Yankees -25 people you must meet this summer

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/issues/2008-07/features/people-new-england-meet-fun-qu/glassblower

spence
08-17-2008, 04:21 PM
So that's what it's called? I just picked up a dozen wine glasses made from the exact same glass at TJMaxx for six bucks :cheers2:

Nebe
08-17-2008, 05:30 PM
So that's what it's called? I just picked up a dozen wine glasses made from the exact same glass at TJMaxx for six bucks :cheers2:

yeah... right.. :gorez:

Nebe
08-19-2008, 02:59 PM
did another one last night, but in a different technique.. :)

UserRemoved1
08-19-2008, 03:15 PM
I think I saw that one in Target today

http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/ubb/graemlins/bird.gif

Nice eben. How long does it take to make something like that? If you got any little pieces of that left over I'd love to hang it in a window.

zacs
08-19-2008, 03:55 PM

phew....

yeah, that is pretty much what i figured... i just thought i'd let you type it out.... :buds:

Island Girl
08-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Is that what Warren was asking you about the other day when we stopped by? It looks amazing in person

likwid
08-22-2008, 07:56 PM

I watched one being made.
Dude has crazy talent. :hihi: