View Full Version : Chasing Big Girls on Thanksgiving Weekend?

bud8fan
11-13-2002, 04:30 PM
Seeing as the big girls havent cooperated much for me locally I am contemplating taking a couple of days Thanksgiving weekend and hunting some new territory further south.(never ventured further than the RI border!)
This would be new to me as I have never traveled further south for stripers before.(in the surf that is)
Now with the wealth of knowledge on this board I figured this is the best place to start! I know I dont have too much time to get this planned and figured out but I figured it might be worth a shot?

Recommendations of where to start would be great? How far south do you think I will have to go to put myself in the best place?
Has anyone done this before? Lodging etc?

Anyone further south on the board that might have some good advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!
Russ

mrmacey
11-13-2002, 04:50 PM
im going to vegas for thanksgiving hope i hit the jackpot out there will be trying my darndest!!!! mako cc might be in the future two 250s hmmmmm!! call it dreamin maybe i can get a better rod than my job lot specials baby on the way i better hit sumin!!! by the way i see all these funny wood products called plugs what do you do with them!!! lol!:smash:

Bill
11-13-2002, 05:19 PM
I heard from some reliable old salt friends that fishers Island has some nice fish right now.That Island holds fish late,since its been so mild I would say that turkeyday weekend should be fine as lond as the weather is on your side.The report I heard however was a boat report but, these guys are tossing eels right up on the beach so, surf should be good also.

I would also never give up on naps, there have been some real big fish taken there in past years on gobble day.It may be slow but, it only takes on hit and one fish to make a night now is the time to land a big bass at night.

The other option? easy, Block Island,there will certainly be some linesides there.............

Mr. Sandman
11-14-2002, 08:48 AM
I mainly fish islands and have fished Fishers (from shore) about a half doz or so times. It is an interesting place to fish from shore. Most of the island is private and there is a gate (with gaurd) that prevents you from heading east. However, there are a few places to the west that have been very productive for me. (the last time I fished fishers was 2 seasons ago however so my info is somewhat dated). You can walk across the old runway to the beach and work towards the race. There are some very nice gravel/rock bars along the way. Also there are a few nooks and crannys to work as you get to the point as well.

If you know someone who lives on the east side.....you might want to exploit that relationship and get his permission to get out there. There are some great spots out there that you will have all to yourself...the problem is getting there. I had a friend that got me in a couple times and we had a blast with fish. The eastern half of fishers is very private...like a high end country club. There are some very wealthy people that want privacy and pay for it. The west end is wide open and (for the most part) provides the services for the east end. The west end of the island was at one time a large military installation, there are several old huge bunkers and many of the homes on the west end were officers housings. It is an interesting place to bike-ride around. I take my family on a bike trip there about every other year. and that generally stimulates a surf fish trip shortly afterwards in the fall.

IMO the place has great shore fishing and is way underfished HOWEVER it is MUCH MUCH more efficient to fish from a small boat. If the weather is nice you may want to consider a kayak to get to the more private places. That was my method the last time I was there and it was a very successful approach. Be polite, keep a low profile and don't tresspass across groomed property. If you stay on the shore, this time of year no one should bother you.

good luck (bring eels, there are NO B&T shops)

JohnR
11-14-2002, 09:04 AM
Hey Bill - did ya get out with the "Old Salt"? How is the "Old Salt" doing?

Yep, someday I'd like to fish that from shore and I'm sure I'll take a couple cracks at next year from boat. Of course, it's just a bit from Naps
:eek5:

Mr. Sandman
11-14-2002, 09:19 AM
Fishers is a little slice of sunshine...

I was scanning my fishers photos and don't really have any of the fishing spots (rare for me) but here is one that gives you the general feel of the island:

Also, here is a link to a typical east end house that is for sale...
http://www.ginnel.com/fisland/597.html