View Full Version : Muskie Fishing

BigFish
08-19-2008, 06:28 PM
I am thinking about taking a trip next year to fish for Muskie! The idea of catching one of those big, toothy critters on a plug has me daydreaming! Anybody ever fish for them? I was in a bait and tackle shop upstate New York near 1000 Islands and they had a mount of one that I can't get out of my head!:drool:

ProfessorM
08-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Time to bone up on some Deputy Dog episodes. Dag nabit muskie hit me in the headbone there boy.

afterhours
08-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Time to bone up on some Deputy Dog episodes. Dag nabit muskie hit me in the headbone there boy.

:rotf2:

eastendlu
08-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Your going to look out of place fishing for muskie standing on a rock with a wetsuit on.

BigFish
08-19-2008, 06:48 PM
I thought I might "noodle" a few 50 inch Muskie for starters!

tynan19
08-19-2008, 06:51 PM
One of the major lakes in Worcester has them. I have been day dreaming about catching one for a while now. Most seem to come from under the ice though.

BigFish
08-19-2008, 06:54 PM
I been reading up....looking for one of the major fisheries. Vermont maybe (Lake Champlain), more likely the 1000 Island region in New York state.....St Lawrence River! They grow them big there! No hardwater for me.....swimming plugs and topwater!

BasicPatrick
08-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Larry,

There are Tiger Muskie here in Ma shich are a hybrid of a Northern Pike and a Muskellunge. Thy were stocked on at least three occasions thorughout the state. I used to fish for them and they are very togh to catch...I have caught 6 over literally close to a hundred days of trying.

I like you, was once bitten by the bug to catch a "real" musky on a plug. It is uncanny how similar high end Musky plugs are to high end Striper Plugs. Musky Plugs even go for more money. I took a charter on the St LAwrence over 15 years ago. The guide was honest about Musky fishgin. We had one take on a trolled plug and that was all. The guide called int an average day. Multiple fish days are rare. One fish days are very good. I know the fishery ahd both declined and then rebounded but it has been a few years since I have paid much attention. Look for a high liner guide if you are going to plan a one day thing. I think I remember the honest guide we found telling us it would be normal to expect one fish in three days of charters.

Good Luck

BigFish
08-19-2008, 09:20 PM
For a trip to 1000 Islands I would plan to fish 3 days minimum! Guide at least 2!

hardbait
08-19-2008, 09:21 PM
they say the fish of 10,000 casts. try that big lake in natick. and pm ROYL

johnny ducketts
08-19-2008, 09:22 PM
I was lucky, I grew up in upstate NY, and we had the great chazy river, which was known to hold a few muskies, I caught a tiger musky when I was about 14 with a sunfish as bait. Nothing serious only about 10lbs or so, but It was pretty cool.

BigFish
08-19-2008, 09:23 PM
I won't be wasting my time local.....I want large and I want it in a fishery that is centuries old.

Blitzseeker
08-20-2008, 07:42 AM
BF-

My grandfather was a legendary musky guy in Western PA....his backyard was the Alleghany River where he fished pretty much every day of his life. He wrote articles in the paper, the whole nine yards. If you want musky, they're in there or at least were when I was a kid....haven't been back to fish there in 20 years. I got a couple nice ones in the 35 inch range when I was a teenager, but never whacked one of the absolute monsters.

I've got a bunch of sweet pictures at home somewhere of my grandfather holding 50+ inch muskies in newspaper shots from the 50s.

He taught me to fish.....great guy, fantastic fisherman.

BigFish
08-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Lets see them pics Korey!:eyes:

striperman36
08-20-2008, 08:11 AM
You'll wear your arms out casting, for few fish. It ain't like they so it on TV. 10,000 cast is close to true.

FishermanTim
08-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I am thinking about taking a trip next year to fish for Muskie! The idea of catching one of those big, toothy critters on a plug has me daydreaming! Anybody ever fish for them? I was in a bait and tackle shop upstate New York near 1000 Islands and they had a mount of one that I can't get out of my head!:drool:

Spy Pond in Arlington is stocked with tigers. They can be found in the side that abutts route 2.
(The other side/half of the pond is pretty much a wasteland from goose pollution. The "good" side has resident swans that chase the geese out whenever they venture over.)

Rockport24
08-20-2008, 12:43 PM
I would call Larry Dahlburg up if I was you, he's bound to put you on some, maybe you can film an episode of his show with him!

Slingah
08-20-2008, 12:49 PM
I would call Larry Dahlburg up if I was you, he's bound to put you on some, maybe you can film an episode of his show with him!

the 2 Larry's....bring some plugs...perfect..:humpty:

The Dad Fisherman
08-20-2008, 12:59 PM
do some Food Chain Fishing

Dig up some crawlers and catch some sunfish. Then liveline the sunfish for a largemouth. Then liveline the largemouth for a muskie.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uiu8wIgdsPk&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uiu8wIgdsPk&feature=related)

CanalGuy
08-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Food Chain Fishing sounds right. That Lake in Worcester is Lake Quinsigamond and I've seen a giant that was caught by a guy trout fishing. He was soaking Powerbait had a rainbow on and then the Monster ate the trout. Landed it on a small Rod with six lb test.

BigFish
08-20-2008, 04:20 PM
No worm diggin' or bait catchin' for this cowboy!! Wood!:tooth:

tynan19
08-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Larry, forgot about this last night but my brother and his friends go up to Northern Maine into the Allagash to fish the Fort Kent Muskie Tournament. http://www.fortkent-muskie.com/index.html They seam to have no problem catching Muskies up there and besides the few logging roads it is as remote as it comes. I will find the pic of last years catch.

BigFish
08-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks Tynan! Looks like they catch some beauties up that way!!!:drool:

Finaddict
08-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Larry - Fished for the tigers in Northern NJ with a guide once - we each had a couple of tigers hit big, big spinners ... tough fish and it was awesome ....

... but why not look a bit farther north up into Ontario? Maybe they don't have the Muskies up there or over in Northern Wisconsin or that area, that is well known musky water over there ... there was a musky tournament up there last week ... could lend some insight if you do a little research ...

... but again, look farther north ... might find some nice remote camps with little pressure - fly in and no one but you and the other few camp members fishing the local lakes ... and up to Whale River in ultra northern ontario ... not sure about muskies but big norther pike and big lake trout that hit flies and other lures.

Just more info to confuse you further, but don't skimp on a trip like this ... do it right.

Striperhound
08-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Larry,

Look up Capt John Oravec out of Oak Orchard NY. He is a premier musky guy and relo's his operation to the 1000 Islands in Late Fall and lives big muskies. Last time I saw him I gave him some giant bottle plugs and other saltwater wood that he modified to catch these giants. He is good but hard to book because he is so good

EricW
08-21-2008, 07:21 AM
You could also try for some big Northern Pike. A lot of those northern waters that have muskies also have pike in them. From what I have seen you can catch decent numbers of those. I haven't caught a pike yet, but they also look like a blast to catch.

I actually saw a little tiger muskie caught in your neck of the woods back in the late 80's in a trout stream. We were fishing for brook trout and my mother pulled out this fish that we had never seen before. Have no idea how it got in there.

I hope to someday get up to one of those Canadian fish camps and do some pike fishing.

I fish for pickerel all the time and they are a blast. Got out and caught 1/2 a dozen and a few bass last night. All on light tackle. I have lake near me that is loaded with them.

wheresmy50
08-21-2008, 07:33 AM
In my teenage years, we fequently camped along a river that had good Musky fishing.

My strategy was to catch some Fall Fish or Suckers and live line them with a 5/0 hook in the nose and 36" wire leader. I would use a 4 oz weight to slow them down and swim, not cast, the bait to where I wanted it. After that it's a waiting game, but at least you're not casting your arm off and you can fish more than one rod at a time. My main competition on the river used to buy trout from a hatchery - they worked well. Fishing was so fast and furious that sometimes I used an open bail and an alarm. When it went off, whomever heard it would come find me.

Casting for Musky is crazy. If you do that, make sure to bring some low expectations. I've read of guys doing ok by trolling deep water in the summer.

I'm certainly no Musky expert - just telling you what I did.

Fatswalleye
08-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Champlain and 1000 Islands are two of the most productive natural musky fisheries in the northeast. There were several 38+ lb fish caught and released on Champ last year, with two over 42+ lbs. One came out of Otter Creek, which is on the Vermont side. There is a guide/lure mfr Radke out of Clayton who holds more world records than anyone else, he's a good one to reach out to if you're thinking about a trip to the 1000 Islands. Lake Chautauqua is another solid Musky lake, but that's all the way up in northeast NY. We were just there for bass tournament, and my partner caught a 20lbr on his first cast with a 3/4oz black/blue jig/craw. Always happens. The times you don't want to catch them, you do. If you want better action with topwater, reaction baits, look to go in spring or fall when they're in the shallows. They'll start to move to the deeper drops in search of cooler water in the summer. Very similar to large northerns. I would probably look at Champlain or 1000 Islands, that way you have some variety(Pike, Smallmouth, largemouth, etc) if the bite isn't on. There are also some god quality lakes in PA, but haven't been out there.

BigFish
08-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks Fats and welcome to S-B! Champlain and 1000 Islands are tops on my list! I got a friend who lives upstate NY about 40 minutes from 1000 Islands......thats probably the spot I will choose!:kewl:

Fatswalleye
08-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Those are probably your best bet. I head up to the Northwest Terr every ice-out for trophy northerns, and there's nothing better. That video from Dad F brings back memories. Can't tell you how many times we've caught fish in the 12-18lb class where a 25lb+ wil come up and crush them. About 30% of all the fish we catch up there are scared from larger fish. Champlain is a big body of water, so you'll want to do your research before heading up. I hope you have a boat, since boat rentals are few and far between on the lake. Insurance is too high for the marina's and Gander Mnt in Platts just discontinued their boat rentals. That only lasted three years. My best Musky on both Champ and 1000 Islands has been 15 and 17lbs. Both during bass tourney's. Both on chart/white spinnerbaits. I love both pike and musky in the spring. We'll throw 9" Fin S Jerk Baits, buzz baits, big plugs, spinnerbaits, as well as on the fly. Gotta love watching the water start to wake behind the bait, then comes the turn...
I've got some great video if I can figure out how to load and get the time.
Good luck.

BigFish
08-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Fats, video would be great! My thought is to hire a guide for a day or two and then spend a few days kayaking on my own? I will be using strictly wooden swimmers and topwater plugs. I am not one for bait or spinnerbaits (though I do love them).......my mission is to catch some decent size Musky on my own plugs! Thanks for your insight....its much appreciated!:kewl:

Fatswalleye
08-21-2008, 11:51 PM
My bad, should have paid more attention...Big Fish Bait...duh
I don't know if Saranac has musky, pike definitely, but that is a great area to fish from a yak. Less yahoos. You might want to reach out the ratdke(sp?) guy up in the Clayton/Alexandria Bay area of the 1000 Islands. He could help you up there. If you look at some of the older reports on Champlain, there are quite a few nice size musky caught in that otter creek area. You can launch close by(VT side) and you won't have an issue with all the jetskis, waterskiers, etc. I think there's otter and little otter. Take those plugs up to canada and shoot some insane video in the spring.

Canalratt1
08-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Larry I know some very local spots that you can catch decent sized northerns. These fish are from 6 to 15 lbs with occasional larger ones. The average fish is 8 to 10. The bite is on right now! Roy and I exploited this a few years back but boat woes have kept me from hitting it this year.

Pete F.
08-22-2008, 04:56 PM
There are no pike in VT

BigFish
08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Now thats what I am talkin' about! BFC....I can't read the tape.....what is the length on that bad boy?! Nice Fish!!:drool:

Pete F.
08-23-2008, 05:51 AM
34 not a real big one

BigFish
08-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Nice none the less.....and on a popper!:uhuh:

Pete F.
08-23-2008, 12:54 PM
While it might be a popper, fishing for pike I don't ever pop it, it sinks and swims very well.

Striperhound
08-24-2008, 06:37 AM
check this out Larry

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=1084

BigFish
08-24-2008, 06:47 AM
That was awesome! Thanks Warren!

Fatswalleye
08-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Fill up your box, and head north...
All day, and surprisingly..all night. This one was caught at 1a. Pike are generally poor feeders at night due to their poor eyesight. It never really gets dark up there, so they're always on...

BigFish
08-25-2008, 02:40 PM
You are a tease Fats!:drool:

FyshhTrap
03-04-2015, 06:49 PM

let me know if you go, I"ll mail ya one of my 2 1/2oz. spinner baits, save ya $20.00 , musky colors of course!!!

Raven
03-05-2015, 10:01 AM
i was out in the John Boat fishing Lake Chauncey in Northboro
since i know it so well.... and it got DARK on me real fast one night.....
it was happening....
faster then i could get back to the Dock and get the heck out of there
before they locked the gate on me

So thinking, "oh it's coming ALIVE now" (and it was)
i stayed for a few more casts
and accidentally drifted into a very shaded cove
most silently...

then it was time to go (or else) so i fumbled around
for the oar to pull/push myself back into deeper water
made some noise and Suddenly i was nearly
capsized (in a jonboat??) and this huge splash happened
drenching me with water.... and scaring me
nearly half to death because it was totally tranquil 1 second
and ALL Hell breaking Loose the next ...

i am convinced it was a huge Muskie as it
launched me back into trolling motor (deep enough) water :gu:

BigFish
03-05-2015, 10:05 AM
Wow! Was it that long ago I posted this?? 2008??? OK gotta get her done this season and now since I posted this I kayak fish so......this is the year!

beamie
03-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Ha, just noticed the dates myself Larry...funny how that happens.

Never knew the reason they call it the fish of 10,000 casts is because the bite to cast ratio is so low........

sks
03-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Larry if you get a chance I just thought of another place might work good in the Yak. Look up 5th St. John pond. It is also waaaay up in Maine. Very remote. There is one camp site about a good 1/2 mile of the main dirt road. Will not say anymore right now. I don't think this is spot burning because it is very hard to find. I have notes.

Beamie, Like the pic of your boat, grew up around the N. River, on Cornhill lane. Will be putting around there in a couple months. Scott

The Dad Fisherman
03-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Wow! Was it that long ago I posted this?? 2008??? OK gotta get her done this season and now since I posted this I kayak fish so......this is the year!

Yeah, Yeah :rolleyes:

:hihi:

BigFish
03-05-2015, 02:51 PM
We talked last season Kevin and that fruit died on the vine! But I am doing it this season!

The Dad Fisherman
03-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Let me know....I might still have all the info I gathered last year to revisit.

BigFish
03-05-2015, 03:45 PM
As I said....all the time in the world here to go I just need someone who is in!!

The Dad Fisherman
03-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Its a fall thing, I'll get the info together again. It think Chris wanted to go as well. I'll be in touch.

FyshhTrap
03-06-2015, 04:52 PM
Let me know if you go , I"ll mail you a Musky size spinner bait!! save ya some money

FyshhTrap
03-14-2015, 02:01 PM
the N.Y.S april 2015 issue Fishing Regulations , just happens to be packed with Muskie info this spring

chefchris401
03-14-2015, 03:42 PM
larry i have two spots in RI, that youll be able to get it done at, one spot is producing 15-25lb fish and more than a few per trip.

once we get ice out, its my first thing to attempt on the fishing list

Nebe
03-14-2015, 04:00 PM
There's musky in RI ?!?!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Clammer
03-14-2015, 04:49 PM
CC Musky or northern ????

chefchris401
03-14-2015, 07:42 PM
CC Musky or northern ????

my bad, i meant northern pike, but big ones, close to shore and not on live bait.

Sea of Atlas
03-15-2015, 08:34 AM
This was caught in Maine yesterday. Since Canada stocked them they have migrated to the upper St John River. Definetly on the bucket list, these places are very remote and thats part of the adventure.http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll140/kallidillon/IMG_20150314_115922180%202_zpstoakei9h.jpg (http://s287.photobucket.com/user/kallidillon/media/IMG_20150314_115922180%202_zpstoakei9h.jpg.html)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

sks
03-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Nice! Went up there "in the middle of nowhere" great place to be by the way, and I did catch one, only 29" but pretty cool. Between the guy I was with and myself we got 5 hook ups and 6 - 8 follows and on landed one. One of the follows was about 36", the biggest we saw. Fun trip, did it in 3 days, 8 hrs each way, well the way up was about 9 1/2 (little lost) and the way back was about 11hrs (checked a few places out and got a flat) over all great trip and got the time off to do it again this year for 4 days. I will see if I can post a pic give me some time.