View Full Version : Reel Seats & Guides

TianaBeachDude
08-20-2008, 09:01 PM
A Local builder is about to build be 2 Lami Super Surf Rods ( blanks finally came in).

I need advice as to what is the best fugi reel seat on the martket. Also what do you guys think about the steel reel plates?

Please help,

Thanks
TBD

hyefisherman2
08-20-2008, 11:28 PM
shouldn't the builder know this?

TianaBeachDude
08-21-2008, 08:09 AM
shouldn't the builder know this?

I'M sure he knows what he thinks. I'M trying to gather opinions.

Brother Brian
08-21-2008, 08:23 AM
I used the Steel seat (stainless, black) only because I switch reels on the rods I build. It is the next best thing to tape which is what I would do if I had a reel for every rod. The seat isn't perfect, the reel will 'wobble' but is not in danger of coming off. If I were ever to get a wet suit and swim, I'd tape the reel seat :) .

Mr. Krinkle
08-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Who is building it if you don't mind me asking?

The components all depend on what type of rod you want. You can go with wire guides if you want more durability. You can go with the the typical guides that are used by most builders. Some guys are using concept guides. There are lots of choices.

If you fish for hours at a time or are getting up there in age, had an injury that might inhibit your casting you might want to go with the lightest components possible to make the rod as light as possible so you can enjoy your time on the water.

Good luck with the new rod.

ThrowingTimber
08-21-2008, 11:08 AM
My personal opinion is that those tape on plate seats look like/ and function like garbage.

Paying 300$+ for a custom rod is just plain dumb when theyre just going to throw on a junk reel seat. The builder should match the seat to the intended reels foot.

Fuji deluxe! no doubt about it.

A better question is which side you want installed facing up :)

Mike P
08-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I share Vic's opinion of the plate seats :yak6:

You'll find yourself re-latching the slide on the hoods every other cast, even on the ones with rubber inserts that are advertised to eliminate this. And unless you wrap the seat on with thread and epoxy it, it will eventually twist under the torque a big fish puts on the rod. Tape can't hold it tight enough--or at least standard electrical tape won't.

Decide where you want your reel and have a fixed seat built onto the rod. If you're going to spend close to 5 bills on it, don't rely on a plate seat :hs:

TianaBeachDude
08-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Who is building it if you don't mind me asking?

Hank Altenkirk, Hampton Bays

crash
08-21-2008, 04:36 PM
A better question is which side you want installed facing up :)

TBD, conventional or spinning?:jump1: