View Full Version : PFD with a Wetsuit?

OnTheLedge
08-21-2008, 01:11 AM
I've been wearing a wetsuitoff and on for a year, mostly for comfort and mobility while climbing rocks and for added safety. I was wearing it last night when the moon was bright and the fishing was slow. While gazing out at a boulder that is about a cast and a half away for me, I decided to do it. But first I ran to the van and grabbed a PFD. I have never heard anyone suggest using one with a wetsuit. I always hear that you are bouyant in a suit, which is true. But my wetsuit is the cheap 3MM kind.... plus

1. I can swim but I'm not a really strong swimmer (Especially when I swim one handed!)
2. I'm 43
3. I'm not in great shape
4. I have a wife and kids

I'm glad I wore it. I was kinda winded when I got to that rock. And on the way back it was nice just to float and rest. For me, without the PFD this story could have had a different ending. So if you see a dorky guy wearing glasses, a wetsuit and PFD.....it's probably me. :wavey:

Finatic
08-21-2008, 05:21 AM
Better safe than sorry! or, your wife saying "I wish he had".
Nothing macho about drowning. Stay safe.
Great choice and thanks for posting that.

Pete_G
08-21-2008, 08:04 AM
If you're going to push the envelope you better know your limits, especially if you fish alone.

You made the right call.

eastendlu
08-21-2008, 08:23 AM
I have been using one when i wetsuit alone at night for the last couple of years ,their is nothing wrong with being safe.

DZ
08-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Interesting how the dynamics of wetsuiting has changed. Not so long ago a suit was used to get to that perch that was just beyond reach with waders. Thanks to that gutsy skisher man out in Montauk guys now routinely swim a long way to offshore rocks. I call them "wanna be a boat". Know your limits - I don't feel comfortable when there is an expanse of deep water to the next rock - if I have to swim forget it. Like Pete mentioned in a past thread on the topic - the CG may be called in for a rescue or worse yet - a recovery - just a matter of time. If you have second thoughts - DON'T do it.

DZ

eastendlu
08-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Interesting how the dynamics of wetsuiting has changed. Not so long ago a suit was used to get to that perch that was just beyond reach with waders. Thanks to that gutsy skisher man out in Montauk guys now routinely swim a long way to offshore rocks. I call them "wanna be a boat". Know your limits - I don't feel comfortable when there is an expanse of deep water to the next rock - if I have to swim forget it. Like Pete mentioned in a past thread on the topic - the CG may be called in for a rescue or worse yet - a recovery - just a matter of time. If you have second thoughts - DON'T do it.

DZ

I have a boat and use a kayak but i love to fish from the surf skishing and swimming out to rocks are two different things.I agree know your limitations and let common sense prevail.When i'm to old to do this anymore i want to sit back and say to myself hell that was one hell of a ride.Tight lines...

GonnaCatchABig1
08-21-2008, 08:56 AM
in my endless search for stuff to keep me dry.. i found some nice pfds. they look like typical fishing vests with all the pockets. but are class 2 pfds. only around $60 i'm sure there are more like em out there. i don't see how any guys who swim for rocks could see them as a bad idea. increased safety and functionality.

numbskull
08-21-2008, 11:13 AM
So if you see a dorky guy wearing glasses, a wetsuit.....it's probably me. :wavey:

Could be me, too, but I'll be the guy wearing a helmet with a rod holder on it as well. On a serious note, I think they make low profile belt PFD's designed for swimmers, smaller than the generic belt models.

Flaptail
08-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Could be me, too, but I'll be the guy wearing a helmet with a rod holder on it as well. On a serious note, I think they make low profile belt PFD's designed for swimmers, smaller than the generic belt models.

I was gonna say the same thing about you but you beat me to it. Isn't that a coincidence?

OnTheLedge
08-21-2008, 08:50 PM
I have been using one when i wetsuit alone at night for the last couple of years ,their is nothing wrong with being safe.

I'm glad I'm not the only one

OnTheLedge
08-21-2008, 08:52 PM
If you're going to push the envelope you better know your limits, especially if you fish alone.

You made the right call.

Thanks. You called it..... I felt like I was pushing my limits and I was indeed alone.

Clogston29
08-22-2008, 06:48 AM
i think a pfd is good for safety and could come in handy if something major and uncontrollable happens (medical issue, broken bone, etc.), but shouldn't be used to increase swimming confidence and make you go for a rock that you wouldn't be confortable going for without it. start small, build confidence and work your way up.

hyefisherman2
08-22-2008, 09:58 AM
i think a pfd is good for safety and could come in handy if something major and uncontrollable happens (medical issue, broken bone, etc.), but shouldn't be used to increase swimming confidence and make you go for a rock that you wouldn't be confortable going for without it. start small, build confidence and work your way up.

agreed! :claps: we all gotta start somewhere.