View Full Version : Mix n' Match

StarsnStripers
11-14-2002, 03:16 PM
I need 2 outfits....One for casting lures into the surf and one for chunking herring, mackeral, squid and live lining herring and eels.
Here's the hard part
This is what I have:

Shimano Baitrunner 6500B Reel
Penn Spinfisher 5500SS w/ 15# Reel
Ugly Stik Tiger 7' ML 12-30# Rod
Daiwa Sealine X Surf series 8' Rod

I need to put these together into 2 outfits...one for the bait and one for the lures....
Please help!!!:confused: :confused: :confused: :happy:

-Vic :cool:

Fishpart
11-14-2002, 03:36 PM
I'd put the Penn SS on the Tigger and fish the Baitrunner on the Sealine X.

You'll get tired casting for hours on end with the tigger and while the Penn SS is a good reel, you might find the baitrunner has a better line roller hence less line twist repeatedly casting.

StarsnStripers
11-14-2002, 03:54 PM
Fishpart, the Penn 5500SS is recommended for 12 pound but it does fine with 15 pound, will 15# be ok for live lining with eels, chunking with herring mackeral and squid and live linin herring?? I thought I would need like 30 pound line to do that stuff, especially because I was going to be near rocks....15 is OK for bait fishing like this??:eek: :confused:

StarsnStripers
11-14-2002, 04:06 PM
And, wouldn't it look kind of ridiculous if you saw one using a BAITrunner for lures and using a spinfisher for bait??
:smash: :smash:

Fishpart
11-14-2002, 04:55 PM
Need to try them out and see what you like...............

You can fish eels with 15, but 20 would be a little better, you fish eels like a plug, you don't anchor them out there and wait for a bite.................

In a lot of cases you drift eels out in the current, that's one of the reasons why I like fishing a conventional. A baitrunner should work well for that on a very light setting. I believe there are a few quite skilled eel fishers in the group that use baitrunners for just that.