View Full Version : Man Cave: Who's got a real cool, tricked-out tackle room??

Thunder Rod
08-22-2008, 06:43 AM
Fellow Anglers, (I posted this over in the Rod building forum as well...)

Who among us out there is so handy with tools & materials that they've gone and built themselves their very own, testosterone-laden, outdoor-sports-related Disney World right within the confines of their own basements? You know the type... the kind of guy that builds his tackle bench with hydraulic height adjustment, a hide-away, pull-out rod rack, and a combination fly tying and plug building station with electric hand warming placements, a refrigerated keg & tap, a power-jet foot massager, and a wide screen plasma TV (with surround sound) recessed into the peg board, and is now talking about plans to add an indoor, live trout casting pool and an automated, multi-use rod building station.

If this sounds like you or someone you know, then we'd like to talk to you. If you would consider having yourself and your room profiled in a future magazine article (details upon contact), then by all means, please drop us a line at Thunder_rod@yahoo.com. (that's Thunder_Rod) We'll make ya famous...

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks!

BigFish
08-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Sounds SPAMALICIOUS?:spam::spam:

Slipknot
08-22-2008, 08:38 AM
I have one but don't want to be famous

ThrowingTimber
08-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Sounds SPAMALICIOUS?:spam::spam:

larry hit the report post button and I'll ban him.. :rotflmao:

Thunder just a heads up maybe you should run this by John R. see if hes cool with it etc.

Thunder Rod
08-22-2008, 12:52 PM
It's all friendly and local, but I'll check with John to be sure...

Sorry Bruce, but we already made you famous in the S-B Plugfest '08 article...

Grapenuts
08-22-2008, 12:56 PM
shoot I never thought of electric hand warmers :rotf2:

I'll give this guy ^ top award for being fa kin su pa when it comes to a cave.

numbskull
08-22-2008, 04:49 PM
It is mid-season, all I got is a colossal mess.

Grapenuts
08-22-2008, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&;614252]Grapenuts you haven't seen the new assembly room yet. We added another 600 sq feet theres even room for a cnc massage couch :hee:

man!...now you got a west room..your getting as bad as the whitehouse....I gotta get a bigger compass.

Slipknot
08-22-2008, 07:44 PM
It's all friendly and local, but I'll check with John to be sure...

Sorry Bruce, but we already made you famous in the S-B Plugfest '08 article...

I think Bassmaster beat you to it a long time ago with his damn ditgital camera :rollem:
Ya I read that article, good job but I was kind of surprised I did not get to meet you or speak to ya, sorry I missed ya.

There were some features on mancaves a while ago in a newspaper or something, and that big guy Larry and some other guy were featured. Have you seen the show on cable with that football player Ragussa where they finish a mancave for someone, lucky dogs.

Tagger
08-23-2008, 07:00 AM
no man cave here.. Let me know when you want to do and article on guys who work in a shoe box ..

Thunder Rod
08-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate it. Admittedly, going the forum route isn't typically the way I like to do things, but in this case, I really needed to try and get the word out to a wide-ranging group of like-minded sportsmen. And since I personally know, met, and have fished with so many guys on the board here, (I've done features on several sponsor's here as well) I thought I'd give it an informal shot, especially since the Plugfest project went so well. (Bruce, We might have met in passing , but Plugfest was so busy this year... and I was sooo sick with the flu that day... my bad... :yak5: ). I don't post much any more, so my moniker isn't easily associated with the person many of you have met.

Man Cave is not necessarily a new idea in general, however I wanted to give this one an outdoorsman angle. Lots has been said about the "barroom/gameroom/TV room" type setups in guy's basements, but not so much about guys like us who set up elaborate outdoor-related workspaces, with all the amenities, to work on rods, fly tying, plugs, what-have-you, while also getting a full, relaxing, tanning treatment from the infared lights installed above. Incidentally, I have a modest little cave myself, with a work bench, fridge, pegboard for tools, a dart board, Bubble Hockey game, sports collectibles, etc.... whole dresser drawers full of gear, and about 28 fishing rod/combos hanging, lying, and leaning against just about every inch of wall, ceiling, & floor. But it's also a bit of a mess and I'm looking for something a little more exlusive to fishing/outdoorsman projects and comforts.

Funny you should mention Bassmaster, I was told he was someone I should contact on this project.

Also, as far as "shoebox" setups go, I would love to include something modest to serve as a contrast, "simple but it works", perhaps a set up in someone's truck/camper or car. Doesn't necessarily have to be intricate, just unique or creative.

Anyway, feel free to drop me a line on the e-mail from the initial post.

Many thanks!

-John-

Charleston
08-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Where/can one read the article on PlugFest '08? It was a good time. :buds:
If you took pictures and saw a good looking tall guy wearing a BIGFISH BAIT CO. hat, well that was me!:)

Tagger
08-23-2008, 08:33 AM
If you took pictures and saw a tall guy wearing a BIGFISH BAIT CO. hat, well that was me!:)

adding "old grouchy looking bastagde" to description might be helpful .. :laughs:

Thunder Rod
08-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Heh-heh...The only "Big Fish" photos I got was this one:
Also got a cool "Red Sox" one as well:

I have a couple extra editions with the Plugfest article I'd be willing to share. Prefer to hand 'em off in person though, maybe on the surf somewhere, in the middle of a striper blitz, wink-wink.

Slipknot
08-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Yes John plugfest was a zoo, I think you weren't the only one with the flu that day
next year will be even better. It is hard to find time to speak to everyone.

Charleston
08-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Heh-heh...The only "Big Fish" photos I got was this one:
Also got a cool "Red Sox" one as well:

I have a couple extra editions with the Plugfest article I'd be willing to share. Prefer to hand 'em off in person though, maybe on the surf somewhere, in the middle of a striper blitz, wink-wink.

Larry gave away an original 2005 Red Sox popper! They were made in celebration of the World Series win. I'll bet he has an '07 he's not showing :uhuh:

I'm in Jersey so getting a copy of the article will be tough. Unless you go to PlugBash on 10/4 in Westerly RI.

Clammer
08-23-2008, 09:06 PM
I CLEANED MY BOAT THIS YEAR ><><<><:huh:

NIB
08-24-2008, 05:52 AM
I CLEANED MY BOAT THIS YEAR ><><<><:huh:

I thought that was last year..:rotf2:

Raven
08-24-2008, 06:50 AM
. It is hard to find time to speak to everyone.

ahem..... hand ole Slipknot a Microphone... :wave: heh heh heh

Thunder Rod
08-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Larry gave away an original 2005 Red Sox popper! They were made in celebration of the World Series win. I'll bet he has an '07 he's not showing :uhuh:

I'm in Jersey so getting a copy of the article will be tough. Unless you go to PlugBash on 10/4 in Westerly RI.

I'll tell you what, since you're a Red Sox fan living dangerously close to enemy lines, send me your mailing address via PM or via e-mail and I'll mail you out a copy... :uhuh:

-John-

striperondafly
08-24-2008, 08:27 AM
I am another Red Sox fan in hostile terrirtory- cam I get one? ;)

Charleston
08-24-2008, 08:58 AM
I am another Red Sox fan in hostile terrirtory- cam I get one? ;) I'll forward my copy to you for 2 plugs :kewl::rotflmao:

Grapenuts
08-27-2008, 08:11 PM
call me when the bunn warmer is ready:heybaby:

Thunder Rod
08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey, just wanted to check back in and thank all you guys for your input. I appreciate the enthusiasm you all have shown and the willingness to help out.

At this point I think I have pretty much what I need. The tough part is always spreading things around to include some variety (plug builders, fly tiers, rod builders, boat builders, etc), so obviously I couldn't use everyone. But one thing I did learn though, all you plug guys are friggin crazy... ha-ha-ha...

Uh, ok, well, maybe I learned two things... I also learned that one could do a whole article dedicated strictly to plug makers and their manufacturing setups. Wow... very impressive.

Anyway, We'll see you all at Plugfest '09! And don't forget your battery powered, fur lined, auto-massaging foot-warming mats!

-John-

Thanks a bunch!