View Full Version : DAAAAAAAAAAAM!

UserRemoved1
08-22-2008, 10:31 AM
i see dead people

BigFish
08-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Dagnabit! I will get you next time #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&! Them snakes is expensive!!:hihi: Maybe next time just a bucket of milk on top of your door......but I will get you!:eyes:

Uncle Matt
08-22-2008, 12:13 PM
It's the competition Scott. They want a piece of your kingdom. Where was Bigfish Larry during all of this? Maybe the owner/moderator from NJ from another board. Hmm.....

Mike P
08-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Venomous Snakes

There are only two venomous snakes in Massachusetts - the timber rattlesnake and the copperhead. (Contrary to popular belief, there are no venomous "water moccasins" in the Bay State, only harmless water snakes.) Statewide, populations of our two endangered venomous snakes are believed to number no more than a few hundred individuals. Due to a host of problems, these populations are probably still declining despite rigorous efforts to protect them. Our "rattlers" are now known to exist at only a dozen or so widely scattered sites in mountainous regions of the state; the distribution of copperheads is even more restricted. As a result, most of Massachusetts is completely devoid of venomous serpents.

The chance of receiving a venomous snake bite is further reduced by the fact that both species are shy and reclusive. Like all snakes, they will bite people only in self defense. If you do not willfully seek out and attempt to confront these species, the chances of being bitten by either are negligible. The toxicity of their venoms tends to be highly overrated; only one person has ever died of snakebite in Massachusetts, and that was more than 200 years ago.

Always keep in mind that many harmless snakes resemble venomous snakes in pattern and behavior. Milk snakes, water snakes, hognose snakes and other banded or blotched species are frequently mistaken for copperheads. Milk snakes, black racers and black rat snakes are often misidentified as rattlesnakes because they vibrate their tails rapidly when alarmed. The overwhelming majority of reports of encounters with poisonous snakes in New England are nothing more than cases of mistaken identity.

If it looked something like a coral snake with more subdued colors, it was very likely a harmless milk snake. The distinguishing feature of a coral snake is that the red band is always bordered by a yellow one on each side of the red, so that the red and black bands never meet---"red on yellow, kill a fellow" ;)

Grapenuts
08-22-2008, 01:02 PM
I went to move something and :eek: I heard the hiss instantly.

could have been your butt talking back.

Mike P
08-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Adult Milk Snake

A boldly patterned snake, the milk snake has a light gray to tan body covered with reddish-brown blotches bordered in black. Larger blotches on the back alternate with smaller ones on each side. The head is patterned, usually with a light colored "Y" or "V" within a reddish-brown patch. Smooth scales give this attractive snake a shiny or glossy appearance. The belly is patterned with an irregular checkerboard of black on white. Similarity of patterns causes some to confuse it with the copperhead; however, the copperhead lacks any pattern on the head. Tail rattling may also lead some to mistake it for a rattlesnake, although the two species look quite different.

Mating generally occurs in May, with females depositing 3-24 eggs in June and July. Eggs are deposited under rocks, boards or other debris, in rotting vegetation, stumps or logs, or small mammal burrows, and usually hatch in August and September.

Woodlands, fields, rocky hillsides and borders of wetlands provide natural habitat for milk snakes. They are also commonly found around houses, barns and outbuildings. Small mammals are the preferred prey of milk snakes, who are able to enter burrows and consume young in their nests. Milk snakes routinely eat other snakes, and may also take birds and bird eggs, frogs, fish, earthworms, slugs and insects. Primarily nocturnal, milk snakes can be found during the day under rocks, logs, or other cover. Although they are not very aggressive, milk snakes will bite and spray musk if handled.

Mike P
08-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Couple of other varieties of milk snakes--you can see how the second one could easily be confused with a coral snake:

ProfessorM
08-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Mike I am pretty sure that is not a coral snake in picture. Old saying goes if red touches yellow kill a fellow or something like that. It is different variety that is non poisonous but I can't remember the name

ProfessorM
08-22-2008, 01:21 PM
scarlet king snake, I just looked it up. I hate snakes too. Mike maybe you were eluding to the fact how they all look similar and in that case never mind you are right.

http://www.southalley.com/snakes_redyel.html

Mike P
08-22-2008, 01:37 PM
scarlet king snake, I just looked it up. I hate snakes too. Mike maybe you were eluding to the fact how they all look similar and in that case never mind you are right.

http://www.southalley.com/snakes_redyel.html

I can see where the confusion came from---they're both milk snakes. The coral snake look alike to the right is a pueblan milk snake from the southwest. The one to the left is an eastern milk snake.

Like you said--in the coral snake ("red on yellow, kill a fellow"), red never touches black-----"red on black, it's OK, Jack"

Booger's snake sounds like an eastern milk snake from his description.

Sorry to admit it, but I'm a big fan of snakes. Not afraid of them in the least.

zacs
08-22-2008, 02:06 PM
from mass website:

There are only two venomous snakes in Massachusetts - the timber rattlesnake and the copperhead. (Contrary to popular belief, there are no venomous "water moccasins" in the Bay State, only harmless water snakes.) Statewide, populations of our two endangered venomous snakes are believed to number no more than a few hundred individuals. Due to a host of problems, these populations are probably still declining despite rigorous efforts to protect them. Our "rattlers" are now known to exist at only a dozen or so widely scattered sites in mountainous regions of the state; the distribution of copperheads is even more restricted. As a result, most of Massachusetts is completely devoid of venomous serpents.

The Iceman 6
08-22-2008, 02:07 PM
My guess is a Copperhead Salty. Your head prob. skipped a few beats.

Nebe
08-22-2008, 02:56 PM
you sure it wasnt one of these??

http://www.pshsclassof88.co.za/DogTurd.jpg

reelecstasy
08-22-2008, 03:00 PM
:eek5: The infamous coiled cobra

Raven
08-22-2008, 03:30 PM
if the head isn't in the shape of a triangle then it isn't poisonous !!!

you just grab a length of plastic tubing ( rigid) and push a looped piece of clothes line
cloth rope thru it until it pops out the other end
then slip that over the snakes head from a distance and pull

then drop him into a bucket or a sack...for transport.

FishermanTim
08-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Rattlesnakes do just that....rattle.
Local non-venomous snakes will try to hiss as loudly as possible to sound as ominous as possible.

BrianS
08-23-2008, 11:20 AM
I love snakes
I havent been able to find one all summer

I used to own several rather large boa constrictors.. and a rather tempremental 12' burmese python...

I miss them...

Getting bitten ranges from fun from the little ones.. to not so fun for the big ones... Ill find the picture of my friend who got bit in the face from my big burm..

As for venomous around here... It doesnt sound like it was poisonous after all, but if it was, then take joy! Its so rare you probably would of made the evening news!

http://susol.net/gallery/Pictures/Family%20and%20Friends/Me%20and%20Shan/_images/snake.jpg

likwid
08-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Pfft snake bites.

Tokay Geckos GRIND their jaws when they latch on.
:sick:

Asian Water Moniters have recurved teeth and they don't like to let go.
BIG recurved teeth.

missing link
08-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Snake Snake BO bake banana Fana Fo Fake ME MY MO FAKE ......SNAKE :huh:
LINK:eyes:

redcrbbr
08-23-2008, 10:06 PM
you sure it wasnt one of these??

http://www.pshsclassof88.co.za/DogTurd.jpg

just made my day:jump:

BrianS
08-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Pfft snake bites.

Tokay Geckos GRIND their jaws when they latch on.
:sick:

Asian Water Moniters have recurved teeth and they don't like to let go.
BIG recurved teeth.

AND.. if you get bit by an asian water monitor here in the wilds of MA, be VERY proud... youll DEFINITELY be on the news...

better than those silly alligators people keep letting go.

likwid
08-25-2008, 11:24 AM
AND.. if you get bit by an asian water monitor here in the wilds of MA, be VERY proud... youll DEFINITELY be on the news...

better than those silly alligators people keep letting go.

Rather take my chances with an equal sized gator than a Water Monitor.