View Full Version : Recommended start Rod/Reel?

Double Hall
08-27-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm pretty heavy into saltwater fishing, and have some Sage freshwater fly gear, but looking to give saltwater fly fishing a try.

Does anyone have recommendations on a decent starter rod and reel? I'm thinking around a 9 weight?

Thanks,
Hall

teezer
08-27-2008, 08:02 PM
A 9 wt is a good starting point. You do not need to spend big $$. Get one in the mid range with a good return policy. Go to a store and try out the rods. They vary greatly in regards to stiffness. If you are fimilar with a certain action with freshwater stay with it.

For a reel, look for the best you can afford. It should have a good drag system. Look at the frame and spin the reel look for any wobble. If it does stay away.

Good luck and have fun!!

saltwateredge
08-28-2008, 12:29 AM
There are good options at all price points like Teezer eluded too.

The Echo Rods are VERY NICE for the price. Team that up w/ a Teton Tioga reel and you've got yourself a combo that WILL get it done but WON'T break the bank.

If you can spend a little more, spend it on the reel. Bump up to the Ross Momentum, or better yet a Nautilus. Then if you ever do decide to upgrade your rod or get a 10wt Sage or Loomis (or something like it) you'll already have a sweet reel.

Just 2 cents. Again there are great options at all price points when it comes to fly.

Double Hall
08-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I had thought I'd posted a response last night, but looks like it disappeared and never made it.

I was looking at the Orvis mid arbor online, and like the price, but not sure it will be large enough. I'd LOVE to be done with the combo for around $300, not including line, but not sure how realistic that is for a setup I'll keep a long time. I don't see myself spending $300 for just a rod or reel though.

There is an Orvis store nearby my office so I'm going to head down there during lunch to just take a look, and maybe go shopping tomorrow. Know of any sales online for any decent 9-10 weight equipment?

CaptMike
09-02-2008, 03:38 PM
google "fly shop close outs". They usually have a pretty good selection also you could try cabela's or something like that but I like to give money to local guys.

falkners
09-04-2008, 11:22 AM
TFO rods are a good choice. Try to cast one if possible. In my opinion they cast as well as or better than rods 2-3 times their cost with different models to suit your casting style and budget. That will leave you about $100 bucks for a reel and line. Not much but a Medalist 1498 and about $60 remaining should buy you an intermediate line. I like Cortland or Airflow clear intermediates. Buy 1 line size over your rod rating. Later you could upgrade the reel. Spend the bulk of the money on the rod and not the reel at first.

Hooper
09-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Tuition, check these guys out. I know Bob, the owner, and he's a straight shooter. Great tackle at good prices, and he loves to talk fishing, call him and you'll see. Just my 2 cents! Whatever you go with, get on the water with it and have fun.

http://www.coltonfly.com/crgReels.jsp#

BillM
09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi, I just got my first fly rod so I'm Nooo expert, but I got a 9'St. Croix 8wt for around $100 then the Lamson 3.5 Konicle reel for $140 so with the line and taxes it was just a little over $300.
I got free backing from Dave at Rip Tide Anglers (thanks Dave) and an invitation to come back and get some instruction using their practice rods.

Double Hall
09-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Where did you end up buying?

My father has a 10-15 year old top of the line graphite Orvis 9ft 9wt rod that he said I can "use" matched with a pretty nice (can't remember spelling) Mayatts? reel, but was purchased for freshwater originally. He's used it a few times in the Salt, but I think I'll spring for a large arbor reel in the mean time.

Does anyone have feedback on this cheap Sage reel? Suprisingly cheap to me. http://www.reelflyrod.com/product.sc?categoryId=24&productId=619

Double Hall
09-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Also saw the Cabellas SR reel on closeout at $99 from 200. Any feedback on this? Looks heavy at 9.1 oz for the 9-10 wt version. (link my not work) http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0023379317120a&type=product&cmCat=door_saltfly-search_redir

saltyric
09-10-2008, 12:39 PM
TFO rods are a good choice. Try to cast one if possible. In my opinion they cast as well as or better than rods 2-3 times their cost with different models to suit your casting style and budget. .

I second this.......I have a TFO that is great...I also have a Orvis PM10 that is also great, but was bout 3 times as much! I would go TFO...

Double Hall
09-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Which model TFO? I've looked into them a bit, and really seems like they are the brand to go with.

I am still looking for a reel to match with it now. In all honesty, I dont have luck with HUGE fish, so I may be able to get something a bit smaller (lighter) to handle mostly schoolies... Or maybe I'll be optimistic and just get a large arbor.

saltyric
09-11-2008, 08:00 AM
I have a two piece Orvis PM 10, 9 wt (like $400.00).....I was looking for 4 piece to travel with. I ended up with the TFO 8wt 4 pc for like $149.00 or something. I use the same reel (battenkill large arbor) between the two rods. I actually like the TFO better. You might want to take a ride up to First Light Anglers they have a great feild behind the store and will let you cast any of the rods........FYI Sometimes you can go to seirratradingpost online and find close outs on reels......I bought a 14wt (for tuna) for short change.....Good luck

check your pm

Double Hall
09-11-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm sold on the TFO Pro rod, going with a 9ft 9wt, which I think will be a good allaround rod from shore or boat. I'm looking at a reel (still) and not sure to just go cheap for now or what.

The package I'm looking at is with an Okumo Integrity reel. I dont want a piece of garbage, but I'm a weekend warrior and realistically won't be catching lunkers on this setup. I know I want an Intermediate line, and will get a spare spool now so I can add a sinking line later on. http://www.burfish.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=09904P-2244&Category_Code=_C9WT

Final question, assuming I ever find a decent reel, is what lines should I stick to. Rod will be about $160, and if possible, I'd love to stick under $200 for a reel and line, and a cheap spare spool.

Hooper
09-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm sold on the TFO Pro rod, going with a 9ft 9wt, which I think will be a good allaround rod from shore or boat. I'm looking at a reel (still) and not sure to just go cheap for now or what.

The package I'm looking at is with an Okumo Integrity reel. I dont want a piece of garbage, but I'm a weekend warrior and realistically won't be catching lunkers on this setup. I know I want an Intermediate line, and will get a spare spool now so I can add a sinking line later on. http://www.burfish.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=09904P-2244&Category_Code=_C9WT

Final question, assuming I ever find a decent reel, is what lines should I stick to. Rod will be about $160, and if possible, I'd love to stick under $200 for a reel and line, and a cheap spare spool.

Try an intermediate weight forward (WF) line, should cover lots of situations, easy to cast, pick up, etc. Just my HO...

beeges
09-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Tuition
The day you downsize your equipment because you don't have luck with "big fish" is the day that you will hook a 65lb pig fighting her just long enough to get a glimpse and hating yourself for the next 20-30 years (I have about 15 years of hating myself left).
If you are used to Sage you might have a tuff time settling for some of the less expensive brands mentioned.

Double Hall
09-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Tuition
The day you downsize your equipment because you don't have luck with "big fish" is the day that you will hook a 65lb pig fighting her just long enough to get a glimpse and hating yourself for the next 20-30 years (I have about 15 years of hating myself left).
If you are used to Sage you might have a tuff time settling for some of the less expensive brands mentioned.

So true. Last weekend I was absolutely slamming fish all morning... just not on a fly rod. I'm going to give the TFO a try, just hoping to match it with a good reel, cheaper than the Orvis battenkill IV. Well over $300 with a 2nd spool. :crying:

beeges
09-17-2008, 09:44 AM
That sounds like a good decision. I am on the pro/guide team for both Sage and TFO and love the 9-10 weight TFO stuff, but there is nothing like a big fish in the rips burning 100+ yards of backing off your Sage 3500, I love the sound!

Mr. Sandman
09-20-2008, 04:09 PM
I picked up a orvis zero gavity rod this spring and like it a lot. (9wt) I keep it in the vehicle and take it out when the conditions are ripe for fly rod ( light winds and fish right on the beach) otherwise it stays in the truck. I hate fighting the elements with fly gear, that is what they make surf rods and 3.5 oz plugs for. I have gotten a few decent bass on them and they seem to hold up OK to the elements.

I only own 4 fly rods/reels, and I am not really a hard core fly guy...the first stick I grab is a 10' surf rod... but I have to say catching albies on fly rods are such a hoot and I think anyone who hooks a good size albi on one gets hooked on flyrodding pretty fast. It is a lot of fun.

surfflyfish
09-22-2008, 12:28 PM
If you don't want to break the bank,go with the Orvis Clearwater2 with the battenkill L/A. i broke the rod 3 times and the 3 times Orvis has sent me a brand new rod. that means a lot to me. i like to work the rocks and all 3 times i slipped on the rocks and damaged the rod.within 4 days have a new rod.
Warranty is key.what are you getting with the price you're paying for such rod besides the rod? i bought a Scott,needed repair and i had to pay an arm and a leg to fix it and i said no way.it all depend on how hard you fish.if you fish this fall run hard ,go everywhere,in my opinion orvis is the way to go.there's other rods better,but a UNCONDITIONAL 25 year WARRANTY is hard to find.:fishin: