View Full Version : Choosing a Surf reel...

ivanputski
08-27-2008, 08:41 PM
I am looking to buy a new spinning reel to be used in the surf... I currently use a Quantum boca pts 50. Its a great reel with a nice drag, but Its at the point where regardless of how well I clean, oil and grease it, it feels rough... I fish mostly boulders, waist deep wading, the occasional dunk. I am looking to spend somewhere in the 140-200$ range, something similar size to the boca 50. Are there any reels that are better sealed? Is the "cabo" better than the boca and worth getting? Also, what is the main advantage you are paying for when it comes to the VS? Or should i just learn to service my existing reel properly... Any feedback from personal experience would help.

spence
08-27-2008, 08:50 PM
A lot of people like the Speros. But the environment that you describe would really like a Van Stall. You can always just service your other reel a lot more. Like every other trip...

-spence

ivanputski
08-27-2008, 09:02 PM
What is the major benefit of the VS, and does it warrant the price? is there a reel in a lower price bracket that shares SIMILAR features? I see a lot of Van staals out there, but other than that, the reels i see are all over the place... seems like there is no unanimous 2nd or 3rd place definite choice...

Pete F.
08-27-2008, 09:23 PM
You basically have two choices, a sealed reel like a VS or Zeebass or an unsealed reel. With the unsealed reels there are two types, a "modern" one with a ton of ball or roller bearings to fail, or a simpler maintainable reel like a penn 700 series or possibly a black and gold daiwa. They only have a few bearings and rely more on bushings and lubrication. You can take the cover offf a Penn in a couple of minutes and oil or grease it. If you fish several times a week a VS is pretty cheap per trip after a year.

nightfighter
08-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Benefits of the VS starts with performance and versatility if you are getting it wet. Bought a 200 used and never looked back for the surf. Mine has been very reliable. Only wish I had done it sooner

ivanputski
08-27-2008, 09:38 PM
I picked one up in a shop, and my first impression is that it wasnt nearly as smooth as i thought it would be... felt like my reel when it needs a cleaning. im sure this is not the case, but honestly, I am not willing to drop over 700 on a reel just yet... there must be less expensive alternatives while maintaining quality... what is your typical maintainance routine with a standard reel like the boca 50? I must be missing something...

cardnial77
08-27-2008, 10:40 PM
there really isn't one besides more cleaning and maintenance. to me that is the best benefit of having a Van Staal. less time maintaining= more time fishing. if you bide your time you can get one second hand for a good price. I paid 350. for my 150 this winter on ebay.

flyvice11787
08-27-2008, 11:47 PM
I picked one up in a shop, and my first impression is that it wasnt nearly as smooth as i thought it would be... felt like my reel when it needs a cleaning.
It feels tight because of the close tolerances of the finely machined parts. It will loosen up a bit after you break it in, but not much, because it's not supposed to.

saltwateredge
08-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Just chiming in w/ what I've observed around the shop. 8 Times out of 10 if it's a reel for the surf the customer walks out the door w/ a spheros or a VS.

There are other reels in between that make up that other 8 times out of 10. I'll also say we don't carry every single reel at the shop that could fit the bill at present. But some of the other reels we see walk out the door include:

- The Bocas & Cabos
- The Sustains, and now Saragosas
- Penn Sargus
- Baitrunners
- Fin-Nor Ahabs
- Shimano Socorro

I like to think of these reels like cars. Some are like My Wife's Civic, others like my "reliable" '99 Chrysler Concorde, still other's like Mike's CJ-8 and even some that are similar to something sportier like a GTI.

But there are only a few that could be classified as a hummer or a tank.

The surf around here has the potential to be about as "offroad" as you can get metaphoricly speaking. So it really comes down to the driver. Cars of all sorts can be taken into harsh environments and some even do quite well at the hands of experienced and maintenance-minded drivers.

That said, I'll never forget the time my wife tore up my parents lawn and planted the civic in the mud. :)

go4broke44
08-28-2008, 12:57 PM
you could always get a used Penn 704z or 706z

Rockport24
08-28-2008, 01:35 PM
dude, trust me and everyother guy on here, if you can afford the VS and/or your wife isn't going to kill you after you buy it, just get it and don't look back. I don't have one b/c I fall into the latter category, but I have never heard one guy say they regret buying one.

speaking of which, I just heard a great idea from another site, go to the Striper Fest party and on your way home, stop and buy the VS, and tell the wfie you won it at the event!

Brian L
08-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Why not just tell her you're buying it, then buy it?

ripitsik
08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Had used a spheros 8000 last yr for a season with braid and went through 4 yes 4 spools due to saltwater corrrosion. The good thing is that shimano custumer service was great and I didnt have to pay a penny for any of the extra spools. The only thing they told me was to " pull all the line out every time i go fishing and dry it out". I was like what? are you nuts? So I took a huge step and bought a VS275 this yr and nothing compares to it. The thing is a complete tank. Horses in any fish that I have come across, easy to self-fix and lube with the proper tools, smoothest drag and can handle 6 oz jigs in the canal with no issue at all. Best investment I have ever made when it comes to fishing aside for my 10 ft 1209 broomstick! The reason why it may have felt stiff was because it's brand new. Mine felt the same and I am sure other VS owners would say the same. You take it out a half dozen times blazing 6 oz jigs all night long it will smoothen out like crisp bed sheets :jump:

Honestly its expensive but you will never have to buy another reel again and maintaining it is so easy

steve
08-29-2008, 06:43 AM
What Rockport said.

seadogg
08-29-2008, 07:25 AM
i can tell you one thing, every time i set eyes on the old Van Staal 250S, it's like the love i'm just dying to know. until that love is mine, i'll use my older model 6500 Penn Spinfisher. it's been a hell of a workhorse, having caught hundreds and hundreds of fish, and I haven't had a problem yet, even after countless dunks in the sand and salt, wetsuiting and wading alike. what i decided to do was fill the gearcase with an automotive bearing grease. i mean FILL that baby. inevitably water will enter the reel, but the grease never allows the corrosion to occur. unless you have the VS, which of course is sealed, i would reccommend doing the same to any reel.

Tman1
08-29-2008, 08:04 AM
If your not going to get a sealed reel such as a VS then go simple with a 704 or preferably a 706. When I fished 706s I always has a few spares and would rotate them into the line up and servicing them as needed.

Frankiesurf
09-01-2008, 02:13 PM
I have the Boca 50 also. It has gotten a little rough throughout its use. I recently packed mine chock full of Penn reel grease. I mean full. If it squeezes out when you close it then its full. Seems to be working well so far. I no longer feel each tooth in the gears as I turn the handle.

fcap60
09-01-2008, 03:58 PM
The shimano Spheros is a great reel in the $100 range. I like the older FA models, but I'm sure the newer models are just fine..I'm just not familiar with them.

Like the others already stated, you can't go wrong with the VS if you can afford it and justify using a reel in that price range.

I own both shimanos and VS'..., but I still prefer to use my Abu 6500s when I can:musc: