View Full Version : Palin? The race is over, all hail Pres Obama

RIJIMMY
08-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Who the heck is Palin? Can you imagine the debates between her and Biden?
Its all over for McCain.

Hooper
08-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Its all over for McCain.

I don't know Jim, I think this is a very interesting pick. Doesn't make me want to NOT vote McCain, but I want to know more. It does however, take away the inexperience charge against Obama doesn't it? I think it's a pretty good pick.

Hillary must be cheering, broke that glass celing, eh Hil? Just not how you thought it would happen right?:rotf2:

RIJIMMY
08-29-2008, 10:10 AM
I just read that she fishes!
You are right, its wait and see since we know so little of her. I think that the VPs for both parties are a very good balance to the candidates.

Hooper
08-29-2008, 10:21 AM
I just read that she fishes!
You are right, its wait and see since we know so little of her. I think that the VPs for both parties are a very good balance to the candidates.

I have read in National Fisherman that she is very well liked up there, a strong supporter of the fisheries, both commercial and rec alike. That's a plus for those of us on this site. We shall see....

JohnR
08-29-2008, 10:41 AM
I have read in National Fisherman that she is very well liked up there, a strong supporter of the fisheries, both commercial and rec alike. That's a plus for those of us on this site. We shall see....

Yep - Cute too :hihi:

A few people have been calling for this a little while now - Hi Phib :wavey:

RIJIMMY
08-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Its a little funny, and expected that the Obama campaign is syaing that experieicne os off teh table, but noone suggested Iraq is off the table , or the "same old government" is off the table with Biden. He was a supporter of the invasion and a 30+ year politician

Mike P
08-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Its all over for McCain.

I can imagine--I'll bet you she chews that old retread up and spits him out. :humpty:

She's hauled crap traps for a living, and her nickname when she played basketball was "The Barracuda".

RIJIMMY
08-29-2008, 11:42 AM
I can imagine--I'll bet you she chews that old retread up and spits him out. :humpty:

She's hauled crap traps for a living, and her nickname when she played basketball was "The Barracuda".

cool, now Im getting excited

Redsoxticket
08-29-2008, 11:50 AM
This may lead to a "cat fight" in 2012.

Bronko
08-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Total cougar. Hot.

Bronko
08-29-2008, 12:25 PM
http://livingalaska.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/sarah_palin2.jpg

decksweeper
08-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Her hubby was a comm fisherman....I can't say that I like McCain, but I like McCain a lot more with her...

striperman36
08-29-2008, 12:43 PM
How the hell is she going to help McCain, who can't even spell domestic policy, get this country turned around?
Maybe you give her foreign policy as she lives outside of the lower 48.

This almost smells like a concession on McCain's part, like when Ferraro was VP, Mondale lost to Reagan in the worst landslide since 1972.

I will be very interested in hearing her speak, I just don't know what the Republicans are thinking about this one? The mayor of Wasalla, Alaska comes to Washington.

Mr. Sandman
08-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Guns, fishing rods, wilderness women...big family, kick ass and take name kind of babe, she is smart, conservative, gets %$%$%$%$ done, has done a lot for Alaska...and she is hot too.. I like her, much more likeable than hillary.:)

She will appeal to many people on both sides.:uhuh:

More executive experience than both Obama + Binen combined (they are just legislators)

I have to hand it to the McCain Campain for the execution of this. Both in the timing and keeping a lid on it until today. This has dwarfed the "big speech" that obama made, you don't even hear about it. You know that was suppose to take over the media for the weekend... The Republican machinery is back in gear...getouttheway.

Sara will appeal to Americans.

striperman36
08-29-2008, 12:58 PM
experience in Wash doesn't count

Abe Lincoln - 2 years House of reps.
Ulysses S. Grant – no political experience
Rutherford B. Hayes - 5 years as Gov.
Chester A. Arthur – no political experience
Grover Cleveland – 2 years as Gov. of NY
William McKinley – 4 as Gov of NY
Theodore Roosevelt -1 year as Gov of NY
William Howard Taft – total of 3 years in elected positions in Cuba and the Philippians
Woodrow Wilson – 2 years as Gov. of NJ
Franklin D. Roosevelt- 3 years as Gov. of NY
Harry S. Truman – 1 year as VP
How much National and international experience did
Ronald Regan Get in his 8 years as Gov of Ca.?
George H. W. Bush – 1 director of CIA
George W. Bush – 5 years as Gov of TX

fishsmith
08-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Sarah Palin had a child with down syndomre in april '08. How much love and care can she provide as VP?

Her political resume is short, McCain is 72 and I don't think she has anymore experience than Obama.

My vote is with McCain but I don't like this VP choice, no matter how easy she is on the eyes.

Looks like Obama in 08.

RIJIMMY
08-29-2008, 01:04 PM
thats a very interesting list Bill. That should be shared by the candidates

I think she may hurt McCain becuase of his age and her lack of experience. People are going to be asking, if he dies, how would she be as president. I think its a bigger leap for most to see her rather than Obama. The more I think about this, the more I think McCain is all done. We'll see, I too have not heard her speak. She may have the personality to turn it around.

striperman36
08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
thats a very interesting list Bill. That should be shared by the candidates

I think she may hurt McCain becuase of his age and her lack of experience. People are going to be asking, if he dies, how would she be as president. I think its a bigger leap for most to see her rather than Obama. The more I think about this, the more I think McCain is all done. We'll see, I too have not heard her speak. She may have the personality to turn it around.

Stick a fork in the Republicans, like I said earlier, Mondale/Ferraro

Joe
08-29-2008, 01:08 PM
http://wonkette.com/assets/resources/2008/03/sarah_palin_ap.jpg
Damn....I'd like to go stumping with her.

Hooper
08-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Sarah Palin had a child with down syndomre in april '08. How much love and care can she provide as VP?

Her political resume is short, McCain is 72 and I don't think she has anymore experience than Obama.

My vote is with McCain but I don't like this VP choice, no matter how easy she is on the eyes.

Looks like Obama in 08.

My gues is she must have a lot on the ball, consider this. How easy would it be for a female to be elected in a state like Alaska??? Oilmen, fisherman, hunters, trappers,...... not exactly your soft and fuzzy type crowd. I would see her being elected in California much more quickly than Alaska. My guess is she will win a lot of people over.

It's funny now to watch the Obama camp talk about her lack of experience. I think I've had enough of his crap already.

Nebe
08-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Desperate people make desperate decisions.

spence
08-29-2008, 01:50 PM
How the hell is she going to help McCain, who can't even spell domestic policy, get this country turned around?
I'd have to agree.

I'm sure her good looks and NRA membership will go a long way towards solving the looming energy crisis.

-spence

Joe
08-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I feel warmer already.

LT. DAN 2
08-29-2008, 02:03 PM
She's brilliant with working numbers which gets my vote. She may make a few enemies among her own party who have depended on PORK BELLY spending to get re-elected all these years to remain in their seats.
She will be McCain's "pit bull" and the republicans will balance the budget within his 8 years as President.

The DEMS are worried and have already started the search for any negatives but I think she is "Squeeky Clean". (other than a few left over scales from the fish she and her husband caught as commercial fishers). She'll win over the Christian coallition that thought Joe Biden ( an alledged catholic) until he stated that he would not oppose ROE VS WADE.

spence
08-29-2008, 02:10 PM
She will be McCain's "pit bull" and the republicans will balance the budget within his 8 years as President.

McCain will be a single term president, he's too old.

And while I'm sure she will be put on the attack, she'd going to have to find some credibility somewhere to make any of it stick.

I completely disagree with Mike P. above on the debates. Biden is a good speaker with a library of anecdotes and analysis he can bring to bear.

She has a good life story for sure, but at the end of the day she'll just be spinning rehearsed talking points.

-spence

Swimmer
08-29-2008, 02:23 PM

Looks like Obama in 08.

You're not voting for her, your voting for him..........

Swimmer
08-29-2008, 02:28 PM
experience in Wash doesn't count

Abe Lincoln - 2 years House of reps.
Ulysses S. Grant – no political experience
Rutherford B. Hayes - 5 years as Gov.
Chester A. Arthur – no political experience
Grover Cleveland – 2 years as Gov. of NY
William McKinley – 4 as Gov of NY
Theodore Roosevelt -1 year as Gov of NY
William Howard Taft – total of 3 years in elected positions in Cuba and the Philippians
Woodrow Wilson – 2 years as Gov. of NJ
Franklin D. Roosevelt- 3 years as Gov. of NY
Harry S. Truman – 1 year as VP
How much National and international experience did
Ronald Regan Get in his 8 years as Gov of Ca.?
George H. W. Bush – 1 director of CIA
George W. Bush – 5 years as Gov of TX

Bush the 41st as C.I.A. director probably did more than most presidents ever do to influence foreign policy.:rocketem:

mekcotuit
08-29-2008, 02:44 PM
All we have heard from John McCain for months is, Barack Obama is too young. Barack Obama is too inexperienced to be commander-in-chief. Who do you want answering the phone in the White House at three a.m.? Blah, blah, blah.
Doesn't McCain undercut his own message by naming someone even younger and more inexperienced than Obama to be his running mate?

My own opinion is that for a man who is 72 years old and has had four bouts with cancer to have chosen someone so completely unqualified to be as they say "a heartbeat away from the presidency" is irresponsible.

Nebe
08-29-2008, 02:55 PM
agian.. desperate people make desperate decisions.

justplugit
08-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Actually as VP, she has more experience governing than Obama has as P canidate.

Mike P
08-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Stick a fork in the Republicans, like I said earlier, Mondale/Ferraro

Yup.....McCain is an inept candidate challenging a wildly popular incumbent. :rollem:

Do you really think that it was Ferraro who caused Mondale to lose? :hs:

saltfly
08-29-2008, 03:04 PM
wait till the media starts "digging" into her life.I hope there's not many ghosts.I can't wait for the debates.

Mike P
08-29-2008, 03:06 PM
McCain will be a single term president, he's too old.

And while I'm sure she will be put on the attack, she'd going to have to find some credibility somewhere to make any of it stick.

I completely disagree with Mike P. above on the debates. Biden is a good speaker with a library of anecdotes and analysis he can bring to bear.

She has a good life story for sure, but at the end of the day she'll just be spinning rehearsed talking points.

-spence

Biden is a rambling speaker who can't stay on point, assuming he ever gets to the point. He's infamous for it.

Biden can't even hold an audience in the Iowa Democratic caucuses. :doh:

Joe
08-29-2008, 03:33 PM
I bet they were on the fence with a couple of people then decided they needed more star-power.

striperman36
08-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Yup.....McCain is an inept candidate challenging a wildly popular incumbent. :rollem:

Do you really think that it was Ferraro who caused Mondale to lose? :hs:

No I don't think that, however Mondale and Ferraro did not stand a chance, I think she was nominated for the VP as a token gesture not as an attempt to beat Reagan

spence
08-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Biden is a rambling speaker who can't stay on point, assuming he ever gets to the point. He's infamous for it.

Biden can't even hold an audience in the Iowa Democratic caucuses. :doh:
Well, I said good and not great ;)

This isn't a Senate hearing where the point is to make your statement rather than ask questions. The debates don't give you much opportunity to be long winded.

-spence

stripersnipr
08-29-2008, 06:49 PM
agian.. desperate people make desperate decisions.

Like voting for a 148 day wonder?

My initial reaction was disappointment but the more I learn about her I'm seeing this as an extremely shrewd political maneuver. There's a whole lot of disenfranchised cougars out there who are already applauding the choice. 80% bi-partisan support in her state. Neither JM or BHO can make that claim.

MAC
08-29-2008, 06:53 PM
I think the Obama crowd is a little scared right now. He should have grabbed Hillary when he had the chance. Personally I don't see Biden doing much for him.

Obama talks about CHANGE...... Biden has been in DC for what, 30 years ? That to me sounds like same old, same old.... to me. Not change.....

And on the debates; I think Biden will get chewed up. A heckler would probably drive him nuts and totally off topic.

Like Swimmer pointed out though. The main race is between Obama and John McCain. Hopefully the Reps. smoke em.

Mike P
08-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Well, I said good and not great ;)

This isn't a Senate hearing where the point is to make your statement rather than ask questions. The debates don't give you much opportunity to be long winded.

-spence

I plagiarized this verbatim from a post on another website, which pretty much sums it up:

Against Ramblin' Joe? You may be surprised.

1.Biden is terrible off the prompter - a legend on Capitol Hill.
2. He can't hit her too hard because she's a chick. Hillary used this to her advantage countless times in debates.
3. Expectations will be lower for her so all she has to do is stay even.
4. We don't know yet how good she is in a debate. She may be a killer.
5. VP debates don't win elections. Dan Quayle was OWNED by Lloyd Bentsen but Dukakis still had to drive his tank back to Taxachusetts afer the election, didn't he?

The Dad Fisherman
08-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Her Kids have weird names :hee:

Track, Bristol., Willow, Piper, and Trig

spence
08-29-2008, 08:16 PM
I plagiarized this verbatim from a post on another website, which pretty much sums it up:

Against Ramblin' Joe? You may be surprised.

1.Biden is terrible off the prompter - a legend on Capitol Hill.
2. He can't hit her too hard because she's a chick. Hillary used this to her advantage countless times in debates.
3. Expectations will be lower for her so all she has to do is stay even.
4. We don't know yet how good she is in a debate. She may be a killer.
5. VP debates don't win elections. Dan Quayle was OWNED by Lloyd Bentsen but Dukakis still had to drive his tank back to Taxachusetts afer the election, didn't he?
I think #'s 4 and 5 will be the most important. My expectation is that she's bright and quick and this will help her hold her own. Expectations for Bush were low and he was able to stumble through, even though Kerry killed him in all three.

But I really can't see her chewing Biden up, and I think he's a better speaker than you're giving him credit for.

Time will tell...

-spence

spence
08-29-2008, 08:17 PM
There's a whole lot of disenfranchised cougars out there who are already applauding the choice. 80% bi-partisan support in her state. Neither JM or BHO can make that claim.
Yea, amazing that the people who voted her into office, in a very red state, would support her as VP :soon:

-spence

JoeP
08-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Haven't been in here for a while because I haven't been overly excited about my Republican Party's actions the past couple years...:jester:

But picking Sarah Palin is a Home Run!! on all fronts. Too many positives to list here. Just a great pick...

I already thought that the almighty chosen one Obama could not win the electoral college in November - but I think picking VP Palin really puts it over the edge.

You can see it already that since about 11:00AM today the mighty Obama's speech from atop his tower last night has already been wiped out of the headlines by Palin. It's amazing the amount of positive energy this pick of Palin has generated in 12 hours.

And remember one thing about Biden. As quick/sharp as he may be his main "trait" is his annoying condescending and arrogant tone in his comments. He pulls that stuff against Sarah Palin in a debate and he'll immediately be cast as the evil ogre attacking the lovely VP female candidate... Remember Gore rolling his eyes...that went over really well.

tynan19
08-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Here is a better one.

spence
08-29-2008, 08:54 PM
And remember one thing about Biden. As quick/sharp as he may be his main "trait" is his annoying condescending and arrogant tone in his comments. He pulls that stuff against Sarah Palin in a debate and he'll immediately be cast as the evil ogre attacking the lovely VP female candidate... Remember Gore rolling his eyes...that went over really well.
I think this could cut both ways, sure he could be seen as a bully...on the other hand many voters would see her as not up to the fight.

Because she's an attractive woman people may apply a higher standard.

-spence

JoeP
08-29-2008, 09:17 PM
I think this could cut both ways, sure he could be seen as a bully...on the other hand many voters would see her as not up to the fight.

Because she's an attractive woman people may apply a higher standard.

-spence

Nah - the only ones who would have that opinion are the liberal elites already in Obama's camp. The centrist soccer-mom types and conservaties would take offense to Biden for that. Of course those same liberals who would take Biden's side against Palin would be the same to attack a Republican for doing the same to Hillary Clinton if the roles were reversed...

spence
08-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Nah - the only ones who would have that opinion are the liberal elites already in Obama's camp. The centrist soccer-mom types and conservaties would take offense to Biden for that. Of course those same liberals who would take Biden's side against Palin would be the same to attack a Republican for doing the same to Hillary Clinton if the roles were reversed...
I think you're trying a little too hard to spin like a pundit here :bshake:

Hillary is a battle axe, I don't buy the notion that you have to give her a pass for being a woman.

Palin is being sold as if she's a Repub cut from the same stuff. If so she'll have to earn her respect or be made a fool. My guess is that she's got some substance, but people are paying a lot more attention this time round.

-spence

striperman36
08-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Here is a better one.

We need one with gurry on her glasses

Just watched part of the CNBC exclusive, she is actually very articulate. Don't know how much was setup but it was indeed an enlightening show.

NECN had PUMPAC.ORG leaning her way, their postion was that Hillary was denied the bid by election gerrymandering.

fishsmith
08-29-2008, 10:19 PM
My initial reaction was disappointment but the more I learn about her I'm seeing this as an extremely shrewd political maneuver.

Me thinks the same, . This move does take the wind out of DNC. My vote remains with McCain, I gots to shut up and listen more ...

as a side note, I am happy that Jay Severin didn't get his boy Mitt :devil2:

sokinwet
08-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Hey I'm a lifelong hunter and fisherman too and I don't know much about this woman yet; but so far I've read....creationist, believes global warming is a hoax, against a womans right to choose, not a hint of foreign policy experience, a short time removed from being Mayor of thriving "podunk" Alaska.... I'm jaded here..I work for local government ;-( ..., being investigated by special counsel in her own state for abuse of power...this certainly doesn't get any of the "Hillary" vote...and I dont care if she was pulling pots on "Deadliest Catch" and looks like J Lo, it sure as heck won't get mine either.

JoeP
08-29-2008, 10:57 PM
I think you're trying a little too hard to spin like a pundit here :bshake:

Hillary is a battle axe, I don't buy the notion that you have to give her a pass for being a woman.

Palin is being sold as if she's a Repub cut from the same stuff. If so she'll have to earn her respect or be made a fool. My guess is that she's got some substance, but people are paying a lot more attention this time round.

-spence

Spence - noone spins more than you...:wave: And you're giving the average citizen way too much credit. You'll see - as soon as Biden pulls his arrogant crap with her it'll backfire.

And by the way - I firmly believe she is capable of going toe to toe with Biden - which she'll do hands down.

stripersnipr
08-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Yea, amazing that the people who voted her into office, in a very red state, would support her as VP :soon:

-spence

The approval rating is for her job as Governor and has nothing to do with the vice presidency. Try to keep up.

Nebe
08-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Sokinwet's got it right. :D

Backbeach Jake
08-30-2008, 06:39 AM
People will begin to look long and hard at Palin... because of McCain's age and health issues... & they really need to... she would be litteraly and figuratively a "heartbeat" away from the big desk.....

gonna be an interesting couple of months of listening to all the pundits... and trying to sift thru all the spoon fed

:bs:

Let's call it the Gina Davis syndrome.
..and yep this is gonna get very interesting. She's gonna have to walk a very fine line, just being a woman. Wimp on one side, beyotch on the other. Sportsmen of a lesser IQ are gonna think that she's one of them. If the Rebuplican Party is endorsing her, especially McCain, then she's for more of the same. No thanks.

Nebe
08-30-2008, 06:50 AM
correct me if I am wrong, but was it not Mccain who played adds asking something to the efffect of 'who do you want to answer the phone at 3 AM when there is a problem'... I can not see how she is a good choice as 2nd in command, but good god, look at who is in the chair now :devil:..... hmmmm..... :huh:

stripersnipr
08-30-2008, 06:57 AM
correct me if I am wrong, but was it not Mccain who played adds asking something to the efffect of 'who do you want to answer the phone at 3 AM when there is a problem'... I can not see how she is a good choice as 2nd in command, but good god, look at who is in the chair now :devil:..... hmmmm..... :huh:

What makes BHO better suited to answer that call?

Joe
08-30-2008, 07:06 AM
That ad with the phonecall in the night was Hillary Clinton's - it was meant to highlight her experience over Obama's

MAC
08-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Here is something I think a lot of people will relate to. She has been there and can relate to middle class America. Some how I can't see Obama or Biden like this unless the photo were staged.

RIROCKHOUND
08-30-2008, 07:33 AM
So, I'm not quite the hippy that Eben is, but I agree with Sokinwet as well..

Palin:
Creationist (Seriously?)
believes global warming is a hoax
against a woman's right to choose

That there is far enough for me.
I don't care if she was the supreme ruler of Mars before hand. Leadership experience doesn't make up for the the fact that she is an uber-rightwinger.

Add on.
has been governor for less than two years
no foreign-policy experience

I think McCain had to go way right or towards the center with his pick. He went for the way right.
I'll always say, I like McCain, I respect McCain, I just disagree with his politics way too much to ever support him.

One quote I read on slate.com (I usually don't like 'opinions' from sites like that, bu I still read it, along with the WSJ)
"If Sara Palin is ready to be commander in chief, then so is Barack Obama"

MAC
08-30-2008, 07:51 AM
One quote I read on slate.com (I usually don't like 'opinions' from sites like that, bu I still read it, along with the WSJ)
"If Sara Palin is ready to be commander in chief, then so is Barack Obama"

LOL, Only problem with this analogy is Palin is in the running for VP, not Pres.

buckman
08-30-2008, 07:51 AM
I like the pick. If you see the response from the Obama camp they are stumped on what to do. If they attack her as a women, then Hillary's pissed. She has more executive expeirence them Obama. We will see what she has in her closet but even the leftest media will have to treat her with kid gloves. But here's the thing.. she doesn't appear to need special treatment. She's going to be very tough to knock off her game. And she's a refreshing change from the BS that we see day to day in Washington. I say it's over for Obama not McCain. Check and Mate

likwid
08-30-2008, 08:08 AM
I like the pick. If you see the response from the Obama camp they are stumped on what to do. If they attack her as a women, then Hillary's pissed. She has more executive expeirence them Obama. We will see what she has in her closet but even the leftest media will have to treat her with kid gloves. But here's the thing.. she doesn't appear to need special treatment. She's going to be very tough to knock off her game. And she's a refreshing change from the BS that we see day to day in Washington. I say it's over for Obama not McCain. Check and Mate

Equal rights equal fights.
Bring it on her.
Who the hell cares about Hillary? She's not the candidate.

"Oh the Hillary voters oh the Hillary voters." You mean the "woman president" voters. Eff em. They're too goddamn stupid to look at the issues and would vote for the communist party if it were running a female candidate.

Palin is pro pebble mine. Supports Bristol Bay? My a@#$.
Open pit mining is a death sentence for that watershed.

Palin is pro life? Nice, keep pandering to the right and the church and telling women what they can do with their body.

More experience than Obama? At what? Abusing her power you'd be dead on. (Check out why she's being investigated RIGHT NOW.)

She bows to the commercial fishermen crying about quotas. They want free range to kill as much as they want. Thats NOT what the majority wants. Just look at what the comms have done to Georges Bank. Thats what her husband and the few want. Greed vs conservation.

I honestly don't care at the moment about foreign policy considering we're running an epic debt in this country.
Bomb the living hell out of Botswana for all I care, just stop using my money to do it.

spence
08-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Here is something I think a lot of people will relate to. She has been there and can relate to middle class America.
I'd agree that her down to earth image will resonate with the middle class, especially the Ted Nugent faction of the Republican Party :hihi:

But she's going to have to tread very lightly on social conservative and environmental issues. I think the average person believes global warming is happening and believes in the separation of church and state. Sure it will rev up the base, but also turn off the independent voters who are the key to this election. To independent voters, a strong religious rejection of gay rights for instance, is a turn off. Doesn't mean you have to support gay marriage, but it makes them look mean and hypocritical. (no offense Joe)

It also presents a pickle for McCain who's traditionally been moderate on the environment. Environmental issues are going to be a big topic this fall, and he can't be running around saying we need to protect while she's at the GOP underground events preaching denial to the flock.

-spence

Joe
08-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Good time to lay some money down on McCain - before the odds change and he becomes the favorite.
Vegas has Obama at 1-2 ($100 bet will get you $50) and McCain at 3-2 ($100 bet will get you $150)

MAC
08-30-2008, 08:20 AM
So if Obama is about CHANGE.... Tell me how Biden brings this to Obama's ticket ? 30 years in DC is not change.....

Obama seems to think he is above everybody. Hopefully his elitist attitude will sink him.

Obama messed up in not taking the "old battle ax"as a running mate. I think his ego wouldn't allow it though. Biden will fit in in that aspect though as he thinks he is somewhat elite as well.

spence
08-30-2008, 08:23 AM
So if Obama is about CHANGE.... Tell me how Biden brings this to Obama's ticket ? 30 years in DC is not change.....
Simple, to CHANGE you need someone close to you who understands how every facet of government works...that's Joe Biden.

While #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney did attempt to make the Executive Branch have devine status, the fact remains that there are three branches for a reason.

-spence

likwid
08-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Here is something I think a lot of people will relate to. She has been there and can relate to middle class America. Some how I can't see Obama or Biden like this unless the photo were staged.

Snips and siding! Damn you sold me! She's so middle class America it hurts. I concede.

http://imgcash1.imageshack.us/img183/7887/obball3fb0.jpg

Oops.

MAC
08-30-2008, 08:25 AM
I'd agree that her down to earth image will resonate with the middle class, especially the Ted Nugent faction of the Republican Party :hihi:

But she's going to have to tread very lightly on social conservative and environmental issues. I think the average person believes global warming is happening and believes in the separation of church and state. Sure it will rev up the base, but also turn off the independent voters who are the key to this election. To independent voters, a strong religious rejection of gay rights for instance, is a turn off. Doesn't mean you have to support gay marriage, but it makes them look mean and hypocritical. (no offense Joe)

It also presents a pickle for McCain who's traditionally been moderate on the environment. Environmental issues are going to be a big topic this fall, and he can't be running around saying we need to protect while she's at the GOP underground events preaching denial to the flock.

-spence

I think the enviroment issues will take a back seat to more pressing issues ie; Iraq, health care, and #1....the economy.

MAC
08-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Snips and siding! Damn you sold me! She's so middle class America it hurts. I concede.

http://imgcash1.imageshack.us/img183/7887/obball3fb0.jpg

Oops.

LOL, you forgot the silver spoon.......

spence
08-30-2008, 08:31 AM
I think the enviroment issues will take a back seat to more pressing issues ie; Iraq, health care, and #1....the economy.
The environment (global warming, shortage of natural resources) is the biggest long-term challenge to the economy, and everything else falls out of that...

My guess is that at a time where this country (the world really) is entering a new era, the GOP will smother this election in the Abortion debate and the pot with the frog will get turned up a few more degrees.

-spence

spence
08-30-2008, 08:33 AM
WTF?

-spence

likwid
08-30-2008, 08:35 AM

Who cares? Not like anyone in politics are self made anymore.
Either grow up with money or marry into money. Its a moot point really.

Hell most people voting Republican don't even make enough money to benefit from being a Republican. There's irony in there somewhere.

And the rumor machine is full speed ahead.
Kid #5 supposedly is her 16 year old daughters, not hers.

And she's into spending.
Bridge to nowhere.
Open pit mining (interestingly enough Ted Stevens was AGAINST it.)

spence
08-30-2008, 08:41 AM
What I find really odd is that McCain would pick someone he didn't even know. It's reported that he only met her once in Feb of this year.

Wouldn't you want a VP who you knew and trusted?

Doesn't make any sense to me. The fact that she's open to teaching Creationisim in schools is frightening.

Here's a quote I love:

Palin also said of her son, whose name is Trig Paxon Van Palin, "I'm looking at him right now, and I see perfection. Yeah, he has an extra chromosome. I keep thinking, in our world, what is normal and what is perfect?"
So because she's pro-life she'll rationalize that her baby with Downs is just as normal as we are, yet a gay person, who God made differently as well, is somehow less deserving of such equality?

What a hypocrite.

-spence

likwid
08-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Who's the better choice? Palin (strongly anti gay marriage and staunch pro life) or a multi millionaire,pretty boy Mormon from Belmont MA with equally pretty children that look like they're afraid to get their hands in the dirt.

I hear no gloves and nail polish is popular amongst the comm crowd.

Mike P
08-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Just as an FYI---not that I buy into either one, but there's a huge difference between "Intelligent Design"--which is what Palin stated she thought should be taught along with evolution in schools---and "Creationism".

One accepts the fact that the universe is billions of years old and that humans evolved from other species, and the other claims that the universe is 6000-odd years old and was created in 6 days.

buckmanjr
08-30-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure with Biden's ambitions, he isn't hoping for a well placed bullet! I wouldn't trust him if I were Obama.

JoeP
08-30-2008, 10:14 AM
All you critics need to read some more about her for yourselves and stop reading secondhand stuff from anti-conservatives.

From what I read:

- yeah she is against gay-marriage (as many centrists are as well as conservatives) - but she is in favor of and has granted/passed gay equality/benefits rights as domestic partners. Just not the actual marriage part.

- she may not believe in 100% man-made doom & gloom Al Gore type global warming that will end the world in 50 years - but she has supported & formed a committee to address "climate change" in Alaska, she worked to pass the large natural gas pipeline in Alaska to address our oil-dependency, and she took on the large oil companies in Alaska as well.

And say what you will, pro-life & creationism in my book are important qualities.

spence
08-30-2008, 10:35 AM
- yeah she is against gay-marriage (as many centrists are as well as conservatives) - but she is in favor of and has granted/passed gay equality/benefits rights as domestic partners. Just not the actual marriage part.
The Alaska Supreme Court ruled on the issue and there was nothing she could do about it. That doesn't imply an endorsemnt if you ask me...

Elected officials can't defy the court when it comes to how rights are applied, she said, but she would support a ballot question that would deny benefits to homosexual couples.

"I believe that honoring the family structure is that important," Palin said.

http://dwb.adn.com/news/politics/elections/governor06/story/8049298p-7942233c.html

- she may not believe in 100% man-made doom & gloom Al Gore type global warming that will end the world in 50 years - but she has supported & formed a committee to address "climate change" in Alaska, she worked to pass the large natural gas pipeline in Alaska to address our oil-dependency, and she took on the large oil companies in Alaska as well.
No, she's on record stating many times that she doesn't believe global warming to be man made. This puts her on the extreme right of this position, and opposite science.

Worse yet, the Al Gore style doom and gloom is becoming more mainstream among the scientific community every day.

From what I've read, her actions with the oil industry appear to be commendable.

-spence

MAC
08-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Hell most people voting Republican don't even make enough money to benefit from being a Republican. There's irony in there somewhere.

I knew you would get the silver spoon comment. Just suprised Spence missed it.:devil2:

On the Republican issue; I for one do not stand by any party lines. I do believe in voting for the man (or woman for you politically correct types).

Obama's worst trait to me is his ability to talk out of "both sides of his mouth". This is very apparent with his stance on 2A...... That sinks him for me.

If we could get a candidate who would take on DC and its "pork barrel spending" we would be better off. Maybe if we limited terms on senators and such something could happen, but that is for another day.

spence
08-30-2008, 10:40 AM
I knew you would get the silver spoon comment. Just suprised Spence missed it.:devil2:

Not sure what you meant by it :huh:

-spence

MAC
08-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Not sure what you meant by it :huh:

-spence

To me it means it is ironic that Obama is trying to protray himself as at "for the middle class". How can he expect the "common man" to believe any of his rantings when he has never been there. Thus the silver spoon.

spence
08-30-2008, 10:55 AM
To me it means it is ironic that Obama is trying to protray himself as at "for the middle class". How can he expect the "common man" to believe any of his rantings when he has never been there. Thus the silver spoon.
That's what I assumed you meant, but I don't think Obama grew up as a rich kid. Raised by a single mother and went to school on scholarships. I don't believe he was dirt poor either, but that's a long way from deserving the "silver spoon" label.

Sure he's rich now, but it appears to be the product of a well educated and intelligent person who wrote some good books!

-spence

Nebe
08-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Guys. All that matters is she is HOT... that should secure the NASCAR vote.. Game OVER.

JoeP
08-30-2008, 11:09 AM
The Alaska Supreme Court ruled on the issue and there was nothing she could do about it. That doesn't imply an endorsemnt if you ask me...

Here's the article excerpt I've read a few times now:

"Palin’s first veto was used to block legislation that would have barred the state from granting benefits to the partners of gay state employees. In effect, her veto granted State of Alaska benefits to same-sex couples. The veto occurred after Palin consulted with Alaska’s attorney general on the constitutionality of the legislation."

Hey whatever spin you want to put on this there are 2 things I think are true:

1. It was a great pick...
2. It's gonna be a great election process to watch...

Enough for me here.

Joe
08-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Popular bumper sticker in Alaska....
"Alaska...Coldest State, Hottest Govenor!"

spence
08-30-2008, 11:18 AM
No spin, she simply is regarding the state Constitution over her personal opinion. That doesn't mean she's in favor of the action.

It's a risky pick for sure.

-spence

stripersnipr
08-30-2008, 12:45 PM
So because she's pro-life she'll rationalize that her baby with Downs is just as normal as we are, yet a gay person, who God made differently as well, is somehow less deserving of such equality?

What a hypocrite.

-spence

That would me sense if there were a Gay person who doesn't have the exact same rights as the rest of us.

spence
08-30-2008, 12:56 PM
That would me sense if there were a Gay person who doesn't have the exact same rights as the rest of us.
I believe I said "equality".

-spence

likwid
08-30-2008, 03:06 PM
It amazes me how little the environment means to you people.

Can't wait for the crying once they put in the LNG terminal and they put a massive guard zone around it.

MAC
08-30-2008, 03:55 PM
It amazes me how little the environment means to you people.

Can't wait for the crying once they put in the LNG terminal and they put a massive guard zone around it.

I believe it is called "NIMBY". Not many care if they can't "see" it.

likwid
08-30-2008, 06:34 PM
I believe it is called "NIMBY". Not many care if they can't "see" it.

Well our "backyard" is next.
Whether people like it or not.

JohnnyD
08-31-2008, 08:13 AM
The DEMS are worried and have already started the search for any negatives but I think she is "Squeeky Clean".

"Squeeky Clean" except for the baggage from trying to have her brother-in-law fired as a State Trooper because her sister wanted a divorce.

That sounds like the action of a rational, responsible political candidate. It's a good thing she vowed to improve political ethics in Alaska.

Also, the "executive experience" argument is rather weak. It would be one thing if she had 10 years as a Governor, pulled the state out of a financial crisis and improved the state to Top 10 in the country for education. She was elected in 2006. We might as well make Deval Patrick President. He has more executive experience than Obama and Biden combined.

LT. DAN 2
08-31-2008, 09:17 AM
I think the Dems were a little antsy and wanted something quick to jump on. If you read other articles on the subject she asks that one check the facts of the case and she stands "Accountable" for her part in the matter.

FishHawk
09-01-2008, 08:45 AM
It's a weak argument. If you go with that argument then she is more qualified to be President than John McCain.
It is a gamble by McCain and a clever one at that . Takes the attention away from Obama, now the election is about Palin. Interesting stuff , you can't make it up , this election is going to be interesting. FishHawk

buckman
09-10-2008, 06:08 AM
McCain up in the polls. Obama coming unglued. CNN, MSNBC trying to somehow, someway get the goods on Palin. McCain's picking Palin, brilliant. Obama's pick, not so brilliant

Raven
09-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Guys. All that matters is she is HOT... that should secure the NASCAR vote.. Game OVER.

~
she needs the the speed....

and should be seen driving a race car....

as long as she doesn't say-> yall.. :rolleyes:

Raven
09-10-2008, 07:10 AM
We might as well make Deval Patrick President. He has more executive experience than Obama and Biden combined.

cool........

then we could have a casino in every town

same as dunkin donuts.... :rotf2: