View Full Version : TOG A THON

redcrbbr
11-11-2002, 06:31 PM
Had an idea and ran it by a couple of members of this board about having some sort of get together. The quarry-> Tautog, the place- Gooseberry, the date-Sunday, 11/17/02. the time around 8:30 am. to say 4:00 pm.

i am open to other locations , but i like gooseberry for parking and plus there is plenty of room for everyone to fish. i was there today and saw one fisherman walking out with one, so the tog are there.(i caught skunk) One other good thing is the pats play at 8:30 so it wouldn't conflict with the game.

anyone interested and up for the challenge?????

mrmacey
11-11-2002, 07:02 PM
10/17/02
did you mean 11/17/02 im up for fishing hope the wind dies down alittle

Slipknot
11-11-2002, 07:53 PM
I like it, as long as Bloocrab can make it ;)

ya, don't you mean Nov. ? :smash:

DRUMCORPFAN
11-12-2002, 08:51 AM
i was going to go out on the frances fleet sunday the 17th for some tog, where is gooseberry and how do you get there.

MountainBreeze
11-12-2002, 08:59 AM
What kinda' gear does one need for Tog? Never fished for them before.

And... like DRUMCORPFAN asked... "where is gooseberry and how do you get there?"

Thanks,
Rob

Carl
11-12-2002, 09:17 AM
Great idea Red.

If ya don't mind another green horn, - ditto on directions and gear.

JohnR
11-12-2002, 09:19 AM
Tog-Ga-Licious!

Yeh, I'm in (pending a spousal release form)...

Gooseberry is the most seaward portion of Westport, Ma. just over the Rhody border....

Bloo & Red & Goose, what do I need? Goose, you said a stiff backboned 9 footer is what ya like, right?

Goose
11-12-2002, 06:27 PM
Jam-it.......I wouldn't mind a little Tog fishin right about now but I got a date at the rifle range on sunday(new muzzel loader:))

As far as rods go I like a 9' or a 10' with some back bone for pulling them out of the rocks. Getting alot of distance isn't always the best thing. I spool up with 25# or 30#. When I Tog Gooseberry or any other spot I keep casting different spots till I find fish(20minutes or so at a time). I also use 3oz bank sinkers to throw bottom tog rigs. Green crabs you can't beat them. Seaworms or clam necks work good to. If you happen to catch a low tide, start turning over them rocks( the bigger them crabs the better, hookem through the legs and out the shell, ( I crush'em a little bit to release some scent ......you should have two baits out there and two rods(bring sand spikes if ya got'um).

Good luck.... if any thing changes I'll be there!

GBOUTDOORS
11-12-2002, 07:25 PM
I may be up for some Tog on Sunday. Hey Goose how did you do Sat. afternoon? Had a very large 8 point walk by tonight at about 40 yds.:smash: No shot and to much rain.:( :(

redcrbbr
11-12-2002, 10:22 PM
hope this helps

redcrbbr
11-14-2002, 11:24 PM
the weather looks kind of iffy for this weekend, noreaster coming up the coast saturday into sunday. we'll have to play it by ear. those that are interested in attending should check this post saturday night.

Directions to gooseberry island. route 195, exit 10 (88 south), follow route 88 to the very end, take a right follow to the very end and your there. route 88/exit 10 is east of route 24 on route 195.

redcrbbr
11-14-2002, 11:32 PM
one nice thing about fishing an island you can almost always get the wind to your back. it's the seas that ya gotta worry about.

ANZ232>235-237-150915-
BLOCK ISLAND SOUND-
BUZZARDS BAY-
NANTUCKET SOUND-
RHODE ISLAND SOUND-
VINEYARD SOUND-
945 PM EST THU NOV 14 2002

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY WILL LIKELY BE REQUIRED FRI

GALE WARNING WILL LIKELY BE REQUIRED SAT

OVERNIGHT
SW WIND INCREASING TO 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 1 TO 3 FT.

FRI
SW WIND INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS BUILDING TO 3 TO 6
FT.

FRI NIGHT
SW WIND 20 TO 25 KT...BECOMING NW AROUND MIDNIGHT...
THEN NE TOWARD DAYBREAK. SEAS 3 TO 6 FT. VSBY MAY LOWER TO NEAR 3
MILES IN RAIN AND FOG LATE.

SAT
NE WIND 20 TO 25 KT INCREASING TO 30 TO 40 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. SEAS BUILDING TO 4 TO 8 FT. VSBY BELOW 2 MILES IN RAIN
AND FOG.

SAT NIGHT
NE WIND 30 TO 40 KT. SEAS 5 TO 10 FT. VSBY BELOW 2
MILES IN AREAS OF RAIN AND FOG.

SUN
NE WIND DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 30 KT BY AFTERNOON AND BECOMING
SW TOWARD DARK. SEAS 5 TO 10 FT. VSBY BELOW 2 MILES IN RAIN AND
FOG...IMPROVING IN THE AFTERNOON.

SUN NIGHT
SW WIND 20 T0 30 KT. SEAS SUBSIDING TO 4 TO 8 FT.

MON
W WIND 20 TO 30 KT...BECOMING NW IN THE AFTERNOON THEN
DIMINISHING TO 15 TO 20 KT AT NIGHT. SEAS 3 TO 6 FT.

TUE
N WIND 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING SW IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 TO
4 FT.

Jenn
11-14-2002, 11:35 PM
um....its gonna shnow.....youre crazy!!!!!!!!!!;)

bloocrab
11-15-2002, 02:22 AM
I landed a bunch of short Tog this morning...the bite started to get hot, just as I had to leave for werk :rolleyes: ...of course :af:

Red, I think I'll be able to play for a little while on Sunday. Weathers' not bothering me too much- I've fished for Tog in rain/snow/wind. When fishing for Tog, one must make sure he/she wears the appropriate apparell...

Dress warm - raingear, just in case- and umm.....dress warm

I kinda did have another place in mind for Sunday, but your right...plenty of fishing-room/parking at Gooseberry.

Slipknot
11-15-2002, 07:40 AM
:( I think I'll be laying low this weekend, battling this flu I got.

SeaWolf
11-15-2002, 04:42 PM
great, more maps and detailed fishing locations. i thought we went over this on time before on these boards. it's one thing to get together and go fishing, it's another to post about spots in detail and invite the world with you. you aren't going to be making any friend there.

bloocrab
11-15-2002, 05:06 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to 2nd Seawolf's motion.

No one owns the oceans' waterfront..NO SPOT belongs to anyone...and saying that, I still AGREE with Seawolf.

It takes hard work and dedication to find certain holes...and when someone sends out flyers to the world.....it pains me

tlapinski
11-15-2002, 05:17 PM
seawolf - always thinking. got any maps with rocks in them?

redcrbbr
11-15-2002, 10:05 PM
well i am sorry if you feel like i just gave up one of your secret fishing spots. happens to be one of mine too. i basically gave folks directions to the parking lot of a spot that frank dagnault had written about. so i honestly don't think it is really that big of a secret. if i had posted where to fish and how to fish it.. yeah then i would deserve a beating. i do understand what seawolf is saying and i am sorry if i offended him, or you bloo by organizing this little get together in a place that we all like. i'll be there sunday am as long as the waves aren't washing vehicals off the road.

mrmacey
11-16-2002, 04:17 AM
for putting this together if the weather is not that bad ill come down for awhile i didnt know this was a hot spot till seawolf told us you dont have to worry about me taking all the fish im still a yahoo that thinks he knows how to fish i just like saying YAHOO!!!!! im going fishing hope theres alot of room cause 4oz sinkers will be flying around gooseberry you might have to duck a couple times when i cast it seams my sinkers go flying in all directions except towards the ocean!!! lol but serious thanks for taking your time and putting this together its all about fellowship and having fun we all have that common bond WE LOVE TO FISH!! and we like pepole to fish with i think!!!

thanks again for the invite hope to see alot of pepole having fun FISHING!!!!!

mrmacey
11-16-2002, 04:58 AM
Home > Local Forecast > 10 Day Details for Bridgewater, MA (02324)

Daily Details for Bridgewater, MA (02324) for Sat, Nov 16 Sun, Nov 17 Mon, Nov 18 Tue, Nov 19 Wed, Nov 20 Thu, Nov 21 Fri, Nov 22 Sat, Nov 23 Sun, Nov 24 Mon, Nov 25

Hourly Forecast More Details
6 AM 9 AM 12 PM 3 PM 6 PM 9 PM

45°F
Feels Like 37°F
49°F
Feels Like 43°F
51°F
Feels Like 45°F
52°F
Feels Like 47°F
54°F
Feels Like 50°F
50°F
Feels Like 45°F

Day Night Averages & Records

High:
55°F

Heavy T-Storms / Wind

Wind:
From the East at 21 mph

Precip: 100 %

Max. Humidity: 91 %

dont sound to good!!!!

SeaWolf
11-16-2002, 09:25 AM
i never said it was a hot spot. if frank said it was, then maybe it is. i've heard from a few people that's it's a decent spot. my point is that most fishing locations are fished hard enough w/o the influence of this media we call the internet. add the internet and it seems the world comes. start posting detailed maps about lesser known spots and inviting more people, you will make enemies very fast. as bloo said, no one owns the ocean front, but there is a unwritten code of ethics. just because i say this on a board such as this don't think that there are many, many others that browse these boards that don't feel/think the same.

and as far as tog go, some would rather give up a spot where they caught 50# bass than a consistently good tog spot.

redcrbbr
11-16-2002, 07:01 PM
Weather is sure making it kind of easy to think about doing something else tomorrow. I'll be down there around 8 or so with a coffee, might be to only to check out the waves. If anyone is still thinking about going shoot me a pm.

BLOCK ISLAND SOUND-
BUZZARDS BAY-
NANTUCKET SOUND-
RHODE ISLAND SOUND-
VINEYARD SOUND-
624 PM EST SAT NOV 16 2002

GALE WARNING

TONIGHT
NE WIND 25 TO 35 KT...BECOMING E LATE. SEAS 6 TO 12 FT.
VSBY BELOW 1 MILE IN RAIN AND FOG.

SUN
E WIND 25 TO 35 KT...BECOMING S AND DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 25
KT BY AFTERNOON...THEN N 10 TO 15 KT BY EVENING. SEAS 6 TO 12 FT.
VSBY BELOW 1 MILE IN RAIN AND FOG. CHANCE OF TSTMS.

SUN NIGHT
VARIABLE WIND AROUND 10 KTS...BECOMING S AND INCREASING
TO 20 TO 30 KT LATE. SEAS 5 TO 10 FT. VSBY BELOW 2 MILES IN RAIN
AND FOG...IMPROVING LATE.

mrmacey
11-16-2002, 07:07 PM
well hopefully the cod trip works out but i cant see driving 30 or so miles to stand in a hurricane type weather i have hard enough time on sunny calm days dont want to hurt nobody with flying objects made of lead but thanks red for the invite maybe some other time ok

bloocrab
11-17-2002, 11:46 AM
hey Mr. Macey....I spend a lot of time in Raynham....and ummm.....

does 44 suck or what???:smash: :smash:

mrmacey
11-17-2002, 12:21 PM
not long ago but i like the convienence of stores right by i lived up in bridgewater 106 104 intersection nothing up there but woods im really from north shore everett but i like it down here better lot more country like and somerset is right down the highway to put boat in real conveinant i love fishing new port area real scenic but never catch anything but blues well got to go showing house today in smithsfeild ri work calls!!!!!

redcrbbr
11-17-2002, 01:53 PM
went down to the beach, waves wern't bad, wind and rain. didn't see anyone that looked like they wanted to fish...

some other time

does 44 suck or what???

atleast they resurfaced it, and yeah it does

Jenn
11-17-2002, 06:03 PM
didn't see anyone that looked like they wanted to fish

:smash: :smash: :smash: cant say I blame them LOL!!! my mind is still ON fishing....but certainly dont FEEL like fishing!!!

looks like we are in for more of this storm in my area......at least it could give us REAL snow so I could DO something with it......instead of this rain/ sleet crap.....:(

bloocrab
11-17-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by redcrbbr
...at least they resurfaced it...

...yeah, I love clipping those cones when' mr. officer isn't looking-:af:

jettyjockey18
11-18-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by mrmacey
not long ago but i like the convienence of stores right by i lived up in bridgewater 106 104 intersection nothing up there but woods im really from north shore everett but i like it down here better lot more country like and somerset is right down the highway to put boat in real conveinant i love fishing new port area real scenic but never catch anything but blues well got to go showing house today in smithsfeild ri work calls!!!!!

i grew up bout 2 miles down the road from 106/104 intersection...you think its all woods now, should have seen it 20 years ago before people found out about bridgewater...i think it looks like a city now...:(

i'm in east taunton now which reminds me alot of bridgewater 20 years ago...

44 does suck, but 140 is catching up...

redcrbbr
11-18-2002, 05:40 PM
yep, 140/24 or 44/24 can take a few years off your life trying to get on or just waiting to get on... 140 is also good for napping late at night... good thing they put those road ruts in.