View Full Version : Bass conversion chart

doc
08-30-2008, 01:14 PM
since i rarely keep the bass i catch and i only measure them and release, i am wondering if anyone knows a good conversion chart for length to weight...?

ProfessorM
08-30-2008, 01:16 PM
There is a good chart and pretty darn accurate but I am not home now. I am sure someone will give it to you.

BassDawg
08-30-2008, 01:34 PM
girth X girth X length/800 = weight ~within ozs.

it is what OTW and about 90% of the surf community
accepts as a way to allow for girth since length alone is not enuff,
directly due to the girth variance. a Fatty is gonna outweigh a Racer

EVERYTIME!!

good luck and keep catching!!

doc
08-30-2008, 01:39 PM
is that length and girth in cm or inches?

is there a rough estimate just based on length (inches)...and fat vs. skinny...?

BassDawg
08-30-2008, 01:48 PM
inches, boss!

there prolly is an estimate type of chart based on stock sizes and yearmates,,,,,,,,,,,,,i've seen it before, but don't agree with it's non-allowance for Girth.

Fatty vs Skinny?

if you catch enuff of them, you'll see what we mean............
especially during the Fall Run. you'll see the ranges in stock sizes
and will be amazed that two stripers of the same length could weigh
so differently ~~especially within the same BITE. kinda cool!

doc
08-30-2008, 01:53 PM
definitely aware of the fluctuations in girth from fish to fish which is amazing...also amazing when all the fish you are catching are almost exactly the same in girth and length...particularly when they are large...but, i guess i am looking for general estimates/ranges in weight based on length and not that interested in getting too specific...

Redsoxticket
08-30-2008, 02:25 PM
If there was a chart that gives weight for each length along with girths that of small, medium and large for that length then when you measure the bass along with your opinion of the girth (s,m,l) then just look at the chart.

JohnnyD
08-30-2008, 02:47 PM
$30 Boca Grip:laugha:

Since you are measuring them any way.

For a bit more money, Rapala has a real nice grip that weights up to 75lbs (I think it's that much) and has a build in tape.