View Full Version : Northern sky 230am

cheferson
08-31-2008, 04:32 AM
Anyone see that meteor around 230 in the northern sky???:shocked::shocked: This was by far the largest i have witnessed. It had a very wide trail that was green. At 1st i thought it was maybe fire works because of the size and color. After the trail fizzled out, you could see a glowing orange ball.

jon2465
08-31-2008, 08:10 AM
i saw it ,it was so bright and looked so close i thought i was going to hear the splashdown, very impressive

BassDawg
08-31-2008, 08:21 AM
where were you fishin', my back pocket?

only i saw the same thing about 10 to 20 mins later than you did
:huh: :huh: :huh:

very interesting that you would describe it as fireworks, as that was the
first word that came to my mind when it passed overhead.

i thought it was lightning ~so it got my attention, then i saw the green to orange phenomenon and i remember thinking,,,,,,,,,,that was the coolest falling star that i've ever seen!!! from where i was, it was a bright white sparkly flash that was followed by the aforementioned color display and moving on an east-west trajectory.

even trippier is the fact that my bride and 5yo daughter are in the Wht Mts and when we shared our, "Goodnight, don't let the bed-bugs bites!" they mentioned going out to stargaze and that they were gonna wish for me a big FISH upon a star......................

UNCANNY, bro ~~simply, amazing!!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

BassDawg
08-31-2008, 08:29 AM
i saw it ,it was so bright and looked so close i thought i was going to hear the splashdown, very impressive

very CLOSE for me as well, jon2465!!

without giving away UDL's, i am very curious as to where each of us were?
pm sent to the each of you. this could also explain any time differentials

scottw
08-31-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm curious if you guys heard anything....I was on BI with the family several Septembers ago and headed out at 4am to fish, the deck on the house we were in faced N or NW and as I opened the slider something screamed across the sky from the W to E...it was big and bright and from my perspective pretty close....a huge sonic boom followed it which shook everything and was loud enough to wake up some of the others inside....I always wondered what exactly it was, it was enough to keep me a little shaken for a while....I've seen plenty of shooting stars, some that were close but nothing that compared to this...

JohnR
08-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Didn't see that one (was looking south at the time) but I saw one like it several weeks back - just as described above.

Scott - meteorites hit earth all the time so if you hear a sonic boom your pretty close :hee:

Clogston29
08-31-2008, 10:02 AM
i saw it, pretty cool. don't remember the exact time but it was between 2 and 3 while i was taking a cigar break.

Uncle Matt
08-31-2008, 12:18 PM
I worked the overnight last night and also saw it. I immediately called my partner to ask if I was seeing things. According to my phone log it was 2:34 AM.

UserRemoved1
08-31-2008, 12:24 PM
They are here

linesider69
09-01-2008, 04:33 AM
I saw it, in soco R.I.

likwid
09-01-2008, 08:30 AM
It was seen all the way up in Maine too.
Not as close as you think.

The Dad Fisherman
09-01-2008, 09:48 AM
I saw the same thing on the North Shore...out on PI. between 2-3 in the morning....thought it was fireworks but it was awfully high up. Big green flash that actually lit up the sky.

BassDawg
09-01-2008, 12:13 PM
did anyone else get sort of a lightning type of flash and sparkler effect at the very beginning? that's what took my eyes off of my retrieve,,,,,,,

i thought there was this freak lightning coming outta nowhere,
and then the light show,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the other thing that was amazing about this meteor, imho, was that it seemed like it was happening right where i was and nowhere else ~~because it "seemed" to be so close.

God's fireworks are phenominal!!!
:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

k-e-v-i-n
09-01-2008, 07:50 PM
I was chest deep in gansett when I saw it out of the corner of my eye... Freaked me out... but was def a sight to see...

BillM
09-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Hey, My son and I saw the blue green flashes earlier this summer when we were driving on rt 95 S. I could tell it was towards Pt. Judith but at the time we had no clue what it could have been - Mystery solved.