View Full Version : hello s-b need info on reel!!!!

mrmacey
11-16-2002, 05:00 PM
went out today looking seen penn 105cs 49.00 spinners are they any good thats a good price for me but are they capable of handling blues and stripers it says 15# is that to small or should i go for something bigger theres so much to learn this winter and i want to be prepared for march!!!!

thank you all

JohnR
11-16-2002, 05:48 PM
Not worth the coin - it's fair for a reel but not a real Penn... Now the best thing for you to do is to wait on some preX-mas sales or some specials. There is also the fishing shows in the springlike the MSBA show where you can find some deals...

That real isn't worth $50 in my opinion.

mrmacey
11-16-2002, 05:51 PM
how bout the 7000 79.00

Bill L
11-16-2002, 06:39 PM
Mr. Macey, I'd spring a few more bucks and go for the 6500SS or the Slammer 560. I don't have any personal experience with the Slammers, but I've heard good things and will probably be getting one next year. It will pay off in the long run to go on the higher end. 15# should do you fine for most plugging

mikecc
11-16-2002, 06:44 PM
The 7000 is not made by penn either just wears their name. Stay with the US made Penn's you can tell them by their black & gold color.

MountainBreeze
11-16-2002, 07:09 PM
I have an "imported" PENN Power Graph II PG3000 spinning reel which was bought for snapper fishing off piers. I have been using it for blues / schoolies in the surf the past few months and it has done well.

However, after the few months of hard work it has been putting up with, it had to be opened up, drained of water, claned and lubed. The guy at the tackle shop said it should have taken a couple years to look that bad. ;)

Also had a little problem with the drag but... after a tweak here and there... it's working fine now. Just in time for the winter. ;)

I'm going to keep this reel, and the 8' rod it's mounted on, as a spare for next season but will be picking up a 9' rod and US made PENN Slammer 460 or 560.

I held / spun a 460 today as a matter of fact and man... was it smooth! Seemed well build and felt like a much more expeneive model.

I like what I've heard / seen of the Slammers and cast my .02 that way.

Best of luck,
Rob

mrmacey
11-16-2002, 07:14 PM
i see the slammers are for 12lb test is that good for heavy fish or do you put bigger line on that

Mike P
11-16-2002, 10:00 PM
The Power Graph and Penn silvers are made for Penn, and imported from Asia. For the same price as a Power Graph, you can get a Z-series Spinfisher that will take a pounding and last forever. Yeah, they're clunky, old-fashioned, not very smooth and the anti-reverse clicker is annoying. But they won't crap out on you when you've hiked out to the Naps, or to Nauset Inlet, and your back-up reel is back in your truck ;)

mikecc
11-16-2002, 11:03 PM
mike's right, just carry extra bail springs just incase

Bill L
11-17-2002, 02:24 AM
According to the Penn site specs, the 460 is rated for 240 yds of 12# (about right), and the 560 325 yds of 12#, which is more than you'll need. Figure 200+ yds at 15# diameter for the 560, which will be ok.

StarsnStripers
11-17-2002, 07:38 AM
I have a new Penn Spinfisher 5500SS, like it alot, I have caught 10 or so stripers and blues on it so far and it is a great, smooth operating reel. It is rated for 12# and I spooled it with 15#, but I think if you set the drag right you could land some big guys, In a Penn advertisement in Saltwater Sportsman, some 16 year old kid landed a 47 pound Striper on a Spinfisher 4400SS reel, which holds 200 yards of 10# line. That must of been one long fight!!!:eek: :cool:

MountainBreeze
11-17-2002, 08:14 AM
Just asking... because I don't know... But...

When they say a reel is "rated for" nn yards of nn#... isn't that just so you know the spool size and not a recomendataion of line size???

I mean... you can go heavier / lighter in the line and get more / less capacity on the same spool but the reel shouldn't care what size line you use.

No???

BTW:
Speaking of spool capacity... would you go w/ the Slammer 460 or 560 (for the extra capacity?)

Thanks,
Rob

Bill L
11-17-2002, 08:32 AM
MtnBrz, you are correct. The line rating is just a guide for how many yards of a certain diameter line the spool will take. Generally, you want around 200 to 250 yards of line on the reel, so if you plan to use a certain test, you should try to pick a reel that is "rated" in this ballpark. Most reels have three diameters/capacities printed on the spool ( such as xyd 8#, yyd 10#, zyd 12#). You can always go smaller or larger, however you will waste a lot of small diameter line on a large reel (no real need for 350 yds of 10#) or you may not have enough yardage of larger line on too small a reel. Heavy line on a small reel also will proably not cast well, due to spool diameter, and it may tend to coil or "jump #^&#^&#^&#^& the small diameter spools, causing wind knots and tangles. Keep in mind the #test is the equivalent mon diamter -- if you use braid or superline, the diamter will be smaller (30# braid may have the diamter of 12# mono)

If you plan to set up a 10# to 12# outfit, it looks like the 460 would be a good choice. For 15# or 17#, the 560 would be a good choice. Also need to balance the reel with the rod. Put it on the rod you plan to use and see how it "feels".

Mike P
11-17-2002, 05:37 PM
Bail springs?

Oh, that's right, some people like bails on their 704s :D

Scotch Bonnet
11-17-2002, 06:29 PM
Wait a minute, $50k on an SUV and $50 on a reel - WHERE ARE YOUR PRIORITIES! ;)

mrmacey
11-17-2002, 07:15 PM
my first reels i looked at were the van staals those are beautiful but to bring one of those to uncharted salty sandy wet atmospheres just wont sit right with wife she cant see it i can see the priority in having one but wife only sees 10 boat payments hmmmmmm!!! :smash: