View Full Version : Your Gonna EAT that Thing???

BillM
09-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Thats right I take home blue fish.. cause I'm a real man.
So here's how I ate 4 lbs of blue fish fillet.

For the firsts half I got some snow crab stuffing all made up from stop n shop. I cut out & got rid of all the dark meat down the center of the fillets, so now each side of the fish is in 2 strips. I piled on the stuffing and flattend it out, getting it all the way to the edges. Then I rolled up each fillet and sliced them into one inch discs - like the size of Hockey Pucks. So now when you lay them flat they look like Pin Wheels.
It's the perfect Stuffing to blue fish ratio - put them on an electric George Forman type grill

For the 2nd half of the fish... well send $2.95 to "Billy's Recipies from the Suds" or send me your own tried and true recipe

BigBo
09-01-2008, 11:29 PM
:yak4: Sorry. Real man or not. I can't eat Bluefish.:hidin:

Sea Flat
09-02-2008, 07:45 AM
I like bluefish just as much if not more than bass. Although I did get a great striped bass fish cakes recipe that is trying to sway my feelings. I am hoping to try that recipe out with bluefish too. Dark meat is one of the best parts of the bluefish IMO which is funny because I do not eat dark meat on any other animal or fish.

maddog2020
09-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Well, BigBo - that answers some OTHER questions: no wonder your wife ........ <jk> LOL. ;)

I grew up eating salty and wicked fishy things (I can't even ID most of them now) due to my parents. Bluefish prepared correctly is great. I rather eat BF than stripers any day.

Steamed with some ginger & garlic over the top then splashed with smoking HOT peanut oil. Smoke bluefish is da bomb! Panfried is awesome with those little snapper blues. I never put any spice on it - plenty of flavor.

When I hear of people smothering it w/ mayo and so forth to bake it I just have to chuckle ..... LOL.

We didn't always bleed out the fish like I do now which makes a huge difference! Cutting away the dark strip does help as well. Some fresh lemon squeezed over the top helps lessen the fishy taste as well.

I think a lot of it has to do with what kind of ethnic background you are from. People who eat anchovies or dried salted fish from overseas all eat bluefish. :) Those who are raised eating white fish like cod, haddock or flounder what can you expect - that is why they invented tarter sauce ! :P I love mayo and tarter saunce - I dip my fries in TS when I get a fried seafood platter.

I would gladly cook it for some one and I think you would change your mind. :D

BigBo
09-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Hiya Ray! :wave:
Actually, I'm not that big a fan of cooked Striper either. If someone has to "smother it" in anything, it can be good in my opinion. Had some nice Fluke yesterday though. :drool: Pan fried with dried onions, a little fresh garlic and crushed peanuts sprinkled on top. :uhuh:

maddog2020
09-02-2008, 12:03 PM
ooooooh, BigBo - ya should have called me and I would have come over. :) I hear your little lady is an excellent cook. My Dad will always cook way better than ever will - then again he did do it for a living for over 30 yrs! :D

Heck, that reminds me some one was suppose to give me some fluke and he forgot to when I saw him on Friday. Hey - JimHo' - cough over the fluke or your wonderbread plugs go to George!

My buddy from Nantucket was bragging how many fluke he had been eating over the summer. That is what I get for not going deep hunting any more. ;) We use to trades. :D Local scallops from Nantucket are the bomb - best I ever had. We fight to wipe up the drippings in the frying pan ..... lol. Lucky my daughter doesn't like scallops - more for my belly! :)

BigBo
09-02-2008, 12:27 PM
ooooooh, BigBo - ya should have called me and I would have come over. :) I hear your little lady is an excellent cook.

I didn't get this "portly" on my own cooking:eek5::scream:

kenyee
09-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Steamed with some ginger & garlic over the top then splashed with smoking HOT peanut oil.

maddog: you did bluefish cantonese style??? I thought it would be too strong tasting for it so I've never tried that. My favorite recipe so far is this:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/BROILED-BLUEFISH-WITH-TOMATO-AND-HERBS-235462
You can still taste the fish and all this stuff just adds a medley to the taste :-)

I've also tried striper cantonese style (assuming it was just going to taste like larger sea bass) and it was totally bland...even tried a japanese miso style w/o luck. I think you just have to use more aggressive flavors w/ striper. Pan fried, stronger sauces, etc.

Nebe
09-02-2008, 01:06 PM
:yak:

BillM
09-02-2008, 01:28 PM
OK so here's how I cooked the 2nd half of that big nasty eel-chompin Blue.

I squeeze the juice of one orange, one lemon and one lime. I zest each one after I squeeze them(scrape a knife against the peel)and let that fall in the juice. I add some chopped onion, chopped hot peppers and a little honey. Then just let the fillets marinade in that till your ready to grill them. Unbelievable! no fishy taste. just good fresh delicious blue fish- like nature intended... for real men.

BassDawg
09-02-2008, 01:41 PM
now that you've shed sum light on their
culinary diversity and the techniques to ridding
them of their gameyness.

with morone saxatilis, i prfer the simple touch.

kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper,
olive oil in a hot skillet/sautee pan~~~

brown on one side, flip and add butter
in the center of the pan, after they're done~~~

hit the pan with more butter until it browns,
add some fresh lemon juice and fresh ital parsley/cilantro,
or try it with fresh lime juice and fresh basil/cilantro.

this really lets the striper speak for itself, and
i'd swear i can still taste the ocean when cooked the same
day or two after bringin' them home. also, try not to rinse the filets
with tap water,,,,,,,,,,,it ruins the freshness of yer catch; especially
so with "white" fish. carry on, gents!!

Jimbo
09-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't mind taking the time to scale and filet snappers to shishkabob on the grill. I don't think they need to be seasoned at all.
You could find a recipe on-line, but smoked bluefish dip is pretty awesome.

maddog2020
09-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I was going to say that BigBo, but I didn't want to insult ya. ;) LOL - I'm this way because I eat enough for 3 people. I admit I'm a glutton. <g>

Yeah, kenyee - you know your cooking styles! You can cook ALL fish cantonese style (steamed) and it tastes great! I do love some fish RAW. :D I don't trust myself so I leave that to the sushi masters. I never ate fried fish until I was in about middle school (tautog - man was that GOOD!).

Call me weird, but I don't like tomatoes on my fish. I love tomatoes in seafood stew/boullabaisse. Clam chowder is suppose to be WHITE colored not red. :)

nebe = your too close too the heat: blowing glass and it's done something to your taste buds...... lol.

All I can say is if I was stranded on an island with a lot of people and there was NO food. In the end there will be one portly guy picking his teeth with some ones splintered shin bone! ;) It all tastes like chicken, right? :wave:

ShipWrecked
09-03-2008, 04:42 PM
ooooooh, BigBo - ya should have called me and I would have come over. :) I hear your little lady is an excellent cook. My Dad will always cook way better than ever will - then again he did do it for a living for over 30 yrs! :D

Heck, that reminds me some one was suppose to give me some fluke and he forgot to when I saw him on Friday. Hey - JimHo' - cough over the fluke or your wonderbread plugs go to George!

My buddy from Nantucket was bragging how many fluke he had been eating over the summer. That is what I get for not going deep hunting any more. ;) We use to trades. :D Local scallops from Nantucket are the bomb - best I ever had. We fight to wipe up the drippings in the frying pan ..... lol. Lucky my daughter doesn't like scallops - more for my belly! :)

Listen I told ya I had a nice fermenting fluke outside for ya but you never wanted to come by as your were busy. Listen anything happens to those wonderbreads there will be repercussions Rays:realmad::realmad:

BigBo
09-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I was going to say that BigBo, but I didn't want to insult ya. ;) LOL
Gonna take a lot more than that to insult me buddy. :laugha:

Oh, and ShipWrecked, Ray said I could have those wonderbreads.:smokin:

ShipWrecked
09-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Gonna take a lot more than that to insult me buddy. :laugha:

Oh, and ShipWrecked, Ray said I could have those wonderbreads.:smokin:This means war!!! Ray are you ready for a :hang:

Backbeach Jake
09-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Caesar dressing, the juice of one lime, marinate, grille, you're welcome.
Teriyaki marinade, smoke with mesqiute charcoal and fresh apple twigs, most pissa, blend with cream cheese and spread on crackers, awesome!!

BillM
09-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I think I see a smoker in my future