View Full Version : dunkin conventionals....

decksweeper
09-03-2008, 10:06 AM
So the wetsuit thing seems to be in full force for many including myself. I've been using a "dunkable" spinning real, but looking to use a conventional with the wetsuit. I've got a 965, calcutta, the abu's....but don't think they're made to swim with. What are you conventional wetsuiters using?
thanks,
-Mark

RNC
09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Van Staal 250:hihi:

decksweeper
09-03-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm a fan of the VS reels...typically fish the 200....but want to mix it up some and am looking for some info on the best conv...

JFigliuolo
09-03-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm far from an expert... But I THINK they aren't the best for dunking. Check w/numbskull. I know he wetsuits AND fishes convench. Not sure if he does both at the same time though.

redlite
09-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Why in the world would you ever even get the smart idea to wet suit with a conventional? Its a mo fo just gettin washed off rocks with a VS, never mind when you're tryin to pick a back lash out of your real while treading water and the guy next to you is bailin fish. The under study Maximilius swims with a coffee grinder Newell that he bought from Habs the day before he passed away (got SICK MOJO with it), has caught some good fish on it, but still has his fair share of backlash issues and the kid is a Jedi with conventionals and still has unneeded headaches with the thing and he NEVER dunks it. Stick to the right tool for the job. Skip the nostalgic BS.
Sorry. Is there some Captains in you?:eyes:

JFigliuolo
09-03-2008, 11:46 AM
I think Mark is having too good of a season. He needs more of a challenge so we mere mortals don't look too bad...:bshake:

decksweeper
09-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Joe, we're in very good company here so I always feel like a mere mortal regardless. I don't think anyone can say that their year is TOO good, but it has been my best year so far in the 5 or so years of fishing the surf.

tynan19
09-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I have to agree with Redlite, why use a conv when it is only going to be submerged? I love throwing conv but the best part about a vs is using the rod as a tool (wading staff) to get to the rocks or swimming with it. Like Mike said it just gives you something to go wrong when you need to be fishing.

Mike P
09-03-2008, 04:17 PM
So the wetsuit thing seems to be in full force for many including myself. I've been using a "dunkable" spinning real, but looking to use a conventional with the wetsuit. I've got a 965, calcutta, the abu's....but don't think they're made to swim with. What are you conventional wetsuiters using?
thanks,
-Mark

Ain't no such thing as a dunkable conventional. You submerge a conventional, you'd best tear it down and re-lube if it spends more than a few heartbeats under water.

numbskull
09-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I haven't wetsuited yet, though I bought a ZB to do it. Plugging twice with the big spinning reel bummed me out big time. It may not matter with eels or pencil poppers, but with other plugs you are going to catch less fish with a big spinner......the whole set up is WAY less sensitive and clumsier. I used to dunk Newells often, but only briefly and inadvertently. If you grease the drag you can sometimes get away with it (a wet drag will ruin your night), but the bearings need to be rinsed when you get home (pretty simple with the older Newells). Dunking the Calcutta TE I use now means a full hour plus tearing it down, and even that hasn't saved the bearings. Being forced to use a spinning reel to throw big plugs in rocks is a major disadvantage.

Back Beach
09-04-2008, 05:26 AM
I used to dunk Newells often, but only briefly and inadvertently. If you grease the drag you can sometimes get away with it (a wet drag will ruin your night), but the bearings need to be rinsed when you get home (pretty simple with the older Newells).

I agree with Numbskull on the above.
If you insist on a conventional, I would say go with the Newell. Many of the others will give you fits, particularly the level wind models like Calcutta’s and ABUS. I'll likely get a suit for next year, but will grudgingly purchase the VS for the task of dunking.

Redlite hates the Newells because of the clicking sound they make upon retrieve, and it drive him insane. His comments are highly biased, but accurate.:angel:

riverrat2
09-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Before I became a boat fisherman I swam with my newell 5-6 nights a week with no problems. Never took the thing apart once. Every couple of days would give it a quick freshwater rinse. It starts to make some pretty hellacious noises but still works fine. Take stock drag out though.

Back Beach
09-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Is there some Captains in you?:eyes:

:buds:

numbskull
09-04-2008, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=redlite;617054] The under study Maximilius swims with a coffee grinder Newell that he bought from Habs the day before he passed away (got SICK MOJO with it), has caught some good fish on it, but still has his fair share of backlash issues and the kid is a Jedi with conventionals and still has unneeded headaches with the thing and he NEVER dunks it. QUOTE]

Your friend Maximilius needs to get some Rocket Fuel XS oil and his headaches will go away.

ThrowingTimber
09-04-2008, 04:01 PM
How you gonna cast with side plates full of water?

Nebe
09-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Your beter off using a Kite Spool :)

ProfessorM
09-04-2008, 04:40 PM
How you gonna cast with side plates full of water?

drill a water leter outta hole in them.

ThrowingTimber
09-04-2008, 05:41 PM
drill a water leter outta hole in them.

sand too good idea :kewl:

now about the effectiveness of soaked drag washers...... how do we get around that??

ProfessorM
09-04-2008, 05:49 PM
you got me there. Teflon maybe or a real strong thumb? Hey you left before I gave you the jigs. I got sidetracked. Sorry

decksweeper
09-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks for setting me straight guys....I'll stick to the VS's