View Full Version : TUNA

StarsnStripers
11-17-2002, 11:24 AM
Who fishes for Tuna?? Not like 200 pound bluefin but like the little schoolies or "footballs" and little tunny and skipjack tuna???
I'm usin my Penn International 975 wit 20# line...
Where can I hook up with one of these little beasts??:confused:

StarsnStripers
11-17-2002, 07:41 PM
Or would this be just a Striped bass forum???:confused:

Christian
11-17-2002, 09:39 PM
the fish in the picture is not a true tuna. its either a false albacore or a bonito. i live in boston and fish in boston and have never seen one. when i was out on a cod boat this summer i saw a school of football tuna about 50lbrs busting about a mile out from the merrimack river mouth. they were eating bluefish.

Striper SniperX
11-17-2002, 10:09 PM
Christian,,, i was at SnS' House,,that was a 'Lil' Tunny' (not A Bluefin) did u catch anything NICE on that Tuna-Charter ??

See Ya..

MountainBreeze
11-18-2002, 07:37 AM
They were around Niantic earlier in the season. Guys in boats were killin' me' at the outflow.

jettyjockey18
11-18-2002, 09:07 AM
thats definitely a false albie in the pic...

christian...not sure what you mean by not a true tuna?? to my knowledge they are in the tuna family, unlike bonito which are in the mac family i believe...

you can find the football bluefins in cape cod bay starting around early september...this year seemed to be an exceptional year for tuna in close to shore from the reports i read...

albies and bonito can be found from southern rhody up to the cape and into the canal from early august till october...

not sure what kind of success you've had with them so far but you might up your hookup ratio if you scale back your tackle to 12lb test...makes it more fun as well...

Mr. Kav
11-18-2002, 10:36 AM
football bluefin came inshore and north a bit this year that i noticed,i caught a few near b-bouy this year.

Christian
11-18-2002, 02:31 PM
striper sniper, i was on a cod boat when we saw the school of tuna, i wish i was on a tuna boat.
jetty jockey, i got confused between bonito and false albacore. i though footballs were 50lbrs? i also heard about tuna at b-bouy and heard of a few people getting spooled.

StarsnStripers
11-18-2002, 02:53 PM
Will this combo handle these tuna? Up to what size?

Penn International 975 spooled with 20# berkley big game green

Penn Power Stick 7' 12-30#, Medium action, 3/4-3 lure weight

scarecrow
11-18-2002, 03:08 PM
The west wall is a good place to hook up with one of those. There are still quite a few around but not as many as earlier in the fall. The rig I use is a penn 45000s with 10 pound line and a small wooden craft egg with a leader going from on end. That leader is connected to a blue deciever. This rig will kill them last week they showed up around 3:30 and I hit one every cast till about 5:00 then I had to kind of work for them. Other good lures are need l eel and small kastmaster work well too. Dont use anything withtub tails though. Hope This helps. Good Luck!

StarsnStripers
11-18-2002, 03:22 PM
Scarecrow, Where is the west wall??
What size kastmaster do I use and will bucktail kastmasters work??
Plus, what is the season for these tuna?