View Full Version : If you could time travel

UserRemoved1
09-11-2008, 08:03 AM
When/Where would you go fishing and why.

I'm outta here for the next few days to Boothbay. We'll take a vote when I get back and best voted post wins one of these sick Ruby Slipper needles sitting here waiting to go fishing.

kenyee
09-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Cabo San Lucas for the variety of fish close to shore, great scenery and resorts. Is there really a bad when? :-)

Clogston29
09-11-2008, 08:08 AM
BI, late September, 1500s.

Brother Brian
09-11-2008, 08:12 AM
BI, late September, 1500s.
Ditto. I'll pay for the ferry over :)

Flaptail
09-11-2008, 08:21 AM
The early 70's when you didn't worry about dying from having sex:happy:.

The Dad Fisherman
09-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Early 1900's, Cuttyhunk. Stay at the fishing club while Roosevelt is there and then sit on the Back Deck sipping Scotch with him and talking about the days catches.

GonnaCatchABig1
09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
last night with waders, korkers and more than one pink needle.. :happy:

Mr. Krinkle
09-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Back to Molokai, HI to fish for GT's again for more than one day.

Or Montauk before the 1950's.

Nebe
09-11-2008, 09:54 AM
hmm... how about 100 A.D.. Narragansett.

bassballer
09-11-2008, 10:46 AM
I would travel back and re-fight every large fish ive ever lost. Maybe I could sleep better at night.

Circlehook
09-11-2008, 11:21 AM
September 21 1982. At the Vermont Ave. Jetty Atlantic City NJ. I would get there early in the day, with a Rebel Windcheater, and beat Fatty to his famous fish.

reelecstasy
09-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Back to this day, watching him cast-hook-and land his first Vineyard fish by himself, one of the proudest days I have ever had..
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=12

doc
09-11-2008, 11:24 AM
5 years ago in a little cove that i still dream about...

Jimbo
09-11-2008, 11:33 AM
When I was a young kid we moved and in the rafters in the garage I discovered an 8-9' wood rod, I think it was cherry. It was stiff like a long, heavy pool cue and sort of crudely put together by today's standards, home made and way too heavy for a 10 year old. I caught he!! because when I decided I wanted to be a fisherman, I climbed up on the roof of my dad's car to get it, but I was allowed to have it. Somewhere I got an old conventional reel that was held on by two rings and that was my first setup. Unfortunately, one day it just disappeared, but I remember it vividly. I guess you always remember your first!!!
Fast forward to modern day and time travel back to the mid-50's. I'd like to have that exact rod back and fish the Outer Cape moving from spot to spot and catching a nap in an old milk truck converted for the beach and carrying fishing tackle.

Swimmer
09-11-2008, 11:33 AM
I would go back to the time when whaling out of Nantucket was at its heyday, and signed on a whaling ship to experience that endeavour.

fishbones
09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
The grotto at the Playboy Mansion in the mid to late 1970's. I shouldn't need to explain why.:devil2:

tlapinski
09-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Per Uncle Crafty's 1881 photo of the Graves Point Fishing Club catch. I stare at that picture on my wall all the time wondering what it would have been like to be at that location with those guys.

The Iceman 6
09-11-2008, 12:21 PM
I'd go back in time right before Salty typed this email about those sick Ruby Slipper Needles and request one to try out.

:cputin:

nklinesider
09-11-2008, 02:15 PM
ive been reading "the shining tides" and that book has really made me interested in what it must have been like living and being a fisherman back then, when you actually could make a living on the water. i wish more than anything that i could fish all day and sell my catch when the day was done. and on top of that, there were tons of fish to be caught

PaulS
09-11-2008, 03:06 PM
MV late 70s, early 80s. All the other fisherman would be scratching their head going "why is that guy throwing the fish back not keeping all he's catching"

Rob Rockcrawler
09-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Id go back to the 60's-70's to go fishing with my grandfather. When i was a kid he was in his 80's and his fishin days were behind him, but i heard many stories while sittin on the dock crabbing.

Jenn
09-11-2008, 05:08 PM
ooh I cant choose so since this is time travel I would like to go back a few hundred years and fish with the natives in Truro. Why? well I just would! I dont really know that I have a reason for that one!

Since this is time travel I would then have to travel back to present day but I would make a pit stop in Key West and throw a few lines with Hemingway just for the "romance" of it.

Finaddict
09-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Honestly, if I had a time machine, I wouldn't limit myself to any particular date ... but would pick the best throughout history ...

First would be to the Colonial Days - of course armed with a few modern day sticks and rods and plugs, etc. ... go to many coastal areas - be it Cape Cod, Cuttyhunk, Block Island - whatever moved for the particular day ... catch my fish on plugs, grab a few 80-100 pounders and come back and weigh them in at Surfland.

The days I would select would have no indigenous species or crazy wild animals around on the hunt, so I don't have to worry about that.

The other spots would be the Florida Keys and Everglades with a couple of flats skiffs, plenty of fly gear and go fishing for tarpon, bonefish, permit, redfish back in the days before white man settled in the keys - late 1800s possibly - again, zoom in, fish and come back for lunch, then go back for an afternoon of fishing and back for dinner and fun, back down ... you get the picture. Bring a couple of cameras and modern gear, food and medicine, leave nothing behind.

that to me is how I'd use the time machine.

Hooper
09-11-2008, 06:34 PM
My grandfather on my Mother's side of the family died in 1963, 8 years before I was born. I never got to meet him but he was quiet a special guy from what I was told and my Mother really loved him and missed him something terrible when he was gone.

I want go back to around the 1950's because I want to meet my grandfather. maybe we would fish together.

tattoobob
09-11-2008, 07:26 PM
I would like to be out at Block Island back in the 80's when those 50 and 60 pounders were going crazy on san eels

I think it was november 86 but we'll have to ask DZ, Tim Coleman, or Steve Mckenna

leo33
09-11-2008, 07:32 PM
mid to late 80's.my pre teen to early teens.not a care in the world.no bills no responsibility's. just my fishing buddy, our gear,bikes,and a pond or shore and summer was bliss.

Kierran
09-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Block Island, November 1987.

I was pushing five and catching bluegills, while guys were catching 60's from the dirt.

jimmy z
09-11-2008, 08:37 PM
!940's, Montauk.:)

gone fishin
09-11-2008, 09:02 PM
On Nauset in the early 50's when we left the beach only to sell at Chatham and replace our provisions. :kewl:

BassDawg
09-11-2008, 09:29 PM
and it allowed me the ability to travel back
to anytime before this Day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then

it would be to join the fishermen of Galilee.
you know Peter, John, Matthew, et al?

ya because not only did they catch tons of fish,

how's 'bout the time after The Resurrection when
they go back to their fishing villages,
with the weight of the WORLD on their minds,
the whole of their FAITH in limbo and disarray,

and they are getting ROYALY skunked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then,,,,,,,,,,,,

lo and behold, comes the Resurrected Spirit of the Lord to fill
their nets, restore their faith, and to lift their weary burdens!!
of course, they then would become fishers of men, keepers
of The Gospel, witnesses to The Empty Tomb, and bearers of The Cross.

YUP, that's the era that i REALLY would have LOVED to have been a fisherman in!!!

with no need to return to Today, no need of modern gear vs a fish of that time, and
of course me bride and me daughter would have to go with me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,those miraculous times and
breaking bread with The Son of God would have been amazing beyond my understanding and what a Life
they must've had walking with Our Lord and Savior!!!

that faithfilled day when HE says, "Peter cast your nets on the other side of your boat........."
that lode had to be THE catch of ALL Catches.:fishin: :fishin: :fishin:

how can one fogedda 'bout the 5 fish that fed 5,000+ people at the Sermon on the Mount?
those five fish had to be THE large of ALL Lahhhhges :uhuh: :bl: :bl: :uhuh:

and in ways too numerous to mention here,
although their fishing was prolific and bountiful,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the fishing ITSELF pales by comparison to the times they were an integral part of
and to the History that their lives etched upon our peoples~~ as these men truly were,
in my humble opinion, the most important fishermen of ALL time.

hyefisherman2
09-11-2008, 09:31 PM
cape cod canal mayhem week this past june....i missed it cause of darn school! :af:

big jay
09-11-2008, 09:46 PM
1960 - I'd go Giant fishing with my Grandfather on Nebraska Shoal.

Raider Ronnie
09-11-2008, 09:54 PM
This is an easy one for me.
Wouldn't matter where or when.
I would go fishing with my grandfather (Leo)

Adam_777
09-11-2008, 09:58 PM
I would have made sure my parents weren't in the same zipcode 9 months prior to my Birthdate.

Hooper
09-12-2008, 05:44 AM
I would have made sure my parents weren't in the same zipcode 9 months prior to my Birthdate.

:rotf2:

piemma
09-12-2008, 05:47 AM
fall run, late october 81, monomoy, live eels... i know 5 guys that went over there that one special night, all came back with 60's... that week, from there was amazing, there were multiple 60's and 50's caught... and a week or so later.. some guy ;) in town hauled in a 73 offa Nauset... back then... i was prolly slingin booze on one side of the bar, or the other... :smash: :(

Yeah, that was epic. The Columbus Day blitz.
I'd go back to 94, 95. The Back was monster. We had so many nights with literally 20 to 30, 30# to 40# fish. No 50s but just a consistent pick of 30s and 40s. From the Second Rip to High Head it was huge. We'd start at the Race and work West as the tide fell. The sand eels were 6 to 8" long and eels and needles did a number. We kept it quiet so you don't see a lot written about it. Most of the guys were commercial so they didn't brag.

Mr. Sandman
09-12-2008, 06:01 AM
Back to this day, watching him cast-hook-and land his first Vineyard fish by himself, one of the proudest days I have ever had..

:kewl:Nice moment, thanks for making me smile!:fishin:

---------------

For me, too many to list, but just one more day on the water with my dad would be enough for me, I miss talking fishing and boating with him.:( I'm trying to create similar memories for my kids.

Andy D
09-12-2008, 06:55 AM
June 7, 2008 Chappy :fishin: :fishin: :fishin: ect.

Jimmy Fee
09-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Block in the Early 80's for sure.

Outer Cape in the early 70's would have to be the runner up.

bisoned
09-12-2008, 09:26 AM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=12

Nice post

nightfighter
09-12-2008, 01:02 PM
September 11. 2001 I would be driving near Portland Maine, to a coastal fishing spot before dawn. But I never get there. I get into an accident with a car full of certain middle eastern extremists, who are all killed in the collision.........

RoyL
09-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I think I would go back to my fathers childhood and spend a day fishing with him on one of the skiff they used to sneek out of Cuba and fish the waters out side. The stories of big fish and sharks, marlin, and massive grouper they would catch by hand while out for days and in massive storms would be an experiance that I always cherish.

striperman36
09-12-2008, 02:45 PM
September 21 1982. At the Vermont Ave. Jetty Atlantic City NJ. I would get there early in the day, with a Rebel Windcheater, and beat Fatty to his famous fish.

The fish was not caught on a rod and reel

justplugit
09-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I want go back to around the 1950's because I want to meet my grandfather. maybe we would fish together.

I was fortunate enough to be able to do that Hoop, but sure would like to do it again. :)

UserRemoved1
09-12-2008, 04:46 PM
VOTE HERE

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?p=620046#post620046

BassDawg
09-12-2008, 07:17 PM
it is a toss up between Nebe, tlap, and reelecstasy for me,

*neither one of which needs more needles*

ahhhhhh, but the KID could prolly use some.............

sorry Ebenovski, and the lapman ~~~i'll start this thing
by voting for the KID's first Vineyard keeper.

reelecstasy gets my VOTE

Slipknot
09-12-2008, 07:25 PM
I'd go to Marthas Vineyard back on the night 10x10 = Kenny Schwam drown and fish right next to him and his customer and haul his ass in to shore before he drowned :(

RIP Ken

ROCKFISH
09-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Back to that day in June of 07. Who knew he'd be gone and buried by labor day. R.I.P. my son.

FishNH
09-12-2008, 08:10 PM
1988 Montauk when I caught my personal best 46.5 lbs. lost 2 bigger fish that day due to inferior gear. always promised myself "never again"

mayday1019
09-12-2008, 10:54 PM
I mainly fish from the shore, between Hull and Scituate. The area is full of cliffs and rocks. When I fish there I can't help but think of how many people have not only fished those same spots for thousands of years, but how many people have just sat on the same cliffs watching in awe of the stunning sunrises and sunsets.

I picture generations of native americans for thousands of years, sitting on those same rocks, gazing out into the unknown, surrounded by the wilderness (which is now covered in roads, lights and homes).

I picture the wives and mothers of many of our ancestors staring out into the ocean waiting for their loved ones to return home from their most recent journey.

If I could travel back in time, I would travel between the 1500's and late 1800's and just sit at my UDL which many before me have called their own- and watch. Watch how they fished. See how they, like me sat in awe as a massive weatherfront approached. See how they, like me try like hell to heave the next cast just a bit futher, trying to reach the the pods of bass and blues blitzing on the surface.

My UDL has seen many changes through the years. But I am sure I would be surprised at how eerily similar we all have been, through the years at that exact same spot.

Gotta love fishing from the surf.

ProfessorM
09-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Last few weeks and fish with Redlite

UserRemoved1
09-14-2008, 03:43 AM
Ok since there were'nt any votes besides BW we'll do it the old fashioned way. 49 posts I counted and plugged in 1-49 into the random number generator and I got #16

TOBY LAPINSKI wins.

Please email me your address you got a sweet needle coming your way.