View Full Version : Korkers Guide Wading Boot

BigFish
09-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Bought a pair of them online......should be here in a couple days! Curious if anyone has a pair and how they like them???

luds
09-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Larry,
I talked to someone at Korkers about this boot a few months back and they told me that it was not a good choice for saltwater because the lace system get's corroded very easily. If you're looking for the whole Korkers system the streamborn boot seems like a good choice. Josh has been wearing those all season and has not had a problem from what I can tell.

BigFish
09-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I was curious about that Mike....thanks! Maybe drop down to the other model boot.

jim sylvester
09-11-2008, 03:57 PM
larry

as luds says...stay away from them because of the metal

I have been fishing the torrent boot this year and love it

before that it was the wetlands

luds
09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
I was curious about that Mike....thanks! Maybe drop down to the other model boot.

I've been wearing these all season. They don't have the greatest support but I can't say I've had any problems. Certainly a bargain for the money. Also, if you are going to get the studded soles you should consider aslo getting a replacement set of carbide studds. The studds that come in the soles dull quickly.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,75964_Korkers-Wetlands-Wading-Boots-For-Men-and-Women.html

If you did decide to give the boot above a try and are planning on wearing it with your wet suit you definitely don't need to get a size too big. They give extra room for waders so you don't need to go one size up. If you go an extra size up you will swim in them with neoprene wet suit booties.

BigFish
09-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Just switched the order to the Stream Born Wader Boot.......with the changeable out soles. Kind of pricey but I need the ankle support! Bought this boot as it comes in a size 15 where some of the others only come in size 14 as the biggest!

Adam_777
09-11-2008, 09:22 PM
I have the streamborn boots and I love them.They keep the sand out good.The soles aren't too bad to change but your not gonna walk out in rubber soles and change to studded unless you have some time to waste.I been practicing and can swap them out in a few minutes with the boots off.Ankle support is great.I wear a 10.5 wide boot and 12 fits me great with some extra room.I haven't had a whole season to beat em but so far I like them a bunch.Very comfortable for me.

hyefisherman2
09-11-2008, 09:28 PM
hey Larry, im thinking about going with these booties....for next season

http://korkers.com/product.php?recKey=38

there a bit pricey, but when it comes to wetsuiting....i wouldnt cheap out. :D

just my 2 cents.

NIB
09-11-2008, 10:46 PM
I have em and have used em only a few times.If I have one complaint it is the sole is kinda high..
Be sure to back all of the korker studs out and smear the fitting and the screw with Never Sieze..If they lock up on ya the boots will be useless.

NIB
09-11-2008, 10:50 PM
hey Larry, im thinking about going with these booties....for next season

http://korkers.com/product.php?recKey=38

there a bit pricey, but when it comes to wetsuiting....i wouldnt cheap out. :D

just my 2 cents.

Reread the thread...

BasicPatrick
09-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Larry,

I have just about 1 year on my Streamborn boots. They are awesome. At my size I need a sturdy boot and you know how much I abuse my gear. I use the felt and the studded sole and they both are wearing well.

Just be careful to get the current generation as last year theere were some great deals on the prior generation that had problems with the soles popping out. I have had no such problems with my curent generation streamborns.

ditto on the sand factor, not bad at all.

NIB
09-12-2008, 05:23 AM
Larry,

I have just about 1 year on my Streamborn boots. They are awesome. At my size I need a sturdy boot and you know how much I abuse my gear. I use the felt and the studded sole and they both are wearing well.

Just be careful to get the current generation as last year theere were some great deals on the prior generation that had problems with the soles popping out. I have had no such problems with my curent generation streamborns.

ditto on the sand factor, not bad at all.

The studs on the soles seem to be a few short.Like in the middle of the instep.Very important area when you step to that top of the mountain rock.There and in the tip of the shoe.It helps to have something there when stepping up on a rock.I added 5 carbide stud screws. This also helps to keep em on.

hyefisherman2
09-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Reread the thread...

is he talking about the same booties? :huh:

NIB
09-13-2008, 05:15 AM
Yes..It looks like there is some metal in the lacing system..
You want the Streamborn model.

Zeno
09-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Bought a pair of them online......should be here in a couple days! Curious if anyone has a pair and how they like them???
I bought a pair with laces and I have to say,what took me so long!
I was doing pirouettes on the rock last night. I got washed of the rocks in a heavy moon current about dozen times last night ,and unlike before ,when Korkers 5000 pull me down like lead around the ankles ,I managed to swim like a kid. If I knew they were that comfortable ,I would of bought them as soon as they came out.
You will standard Korkers issues ,studs falling out ,rust and such

ps

In bad new department.....I nailed at least forty bass on your Prey swimmer last night (one from Cutty). It was almost like fishing in the blitz at midnight ,they were all over that swimmer.
It broke my heart to have it slip of these new fastlock clips. I hate to loose plugs but when the fish win, they win.But to have it slip of the snap is a heartbreaking. I also lost two bm juniors the night before to a same problem

pbadad
09-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Nice testimonial. I'm going to consider these boots next season. Sorry about the lost fish. these clips i guess aren't bullet proof. I've read posts on lost fish w/clips. Were these the new versions? Eagle Claw?

Clogston29
09-15-2008, 06:37 AM
streamborn's are nice, much better than strapping on the sandles

the laces do corrode (and I'm pretty good about rinsing them) and will break eventually. i haven't worn mine all that much this year because the smaller studs on the LLBean boots I have hold much better on rocks w/o bubbleweed.

the sole is alittle more narrow than the sandles, and it is somewhat high, so your not quite as stable - but i think the increased mobility makes up for it.

BigFish
09-15-2008, 07:02 AM
I bought a pair with laces and I have to say,what took me so long!
I was doing pirouettes on the rock last night. I got washed of the rocks in a heavy moon current about dozen times last night ,and unlike before ,when Korkers 5000 pull me down like lead around the ankles ,I managed to swim like a kid. If I knew they were that comfortable ,I would of bought them as soon as they came out.
You will standard Korkers issues ,studs falling out ,rust and such

ps

In bad new department.....I nailed at least forty bass on your Prey swimmer last night (one from Cutty). It was almost like fishing in the blitz at midnight ,they were all over that swimmer.
It broke my heart to have it slip of these new fastlock clips. I hate to loose plugs but when the fish win, they win.But to have it slip of the snap is a heartbreaking. I also lost two bm juniors the night before to a same problem

Zeno.....pm me your address! We have been crushing fish on the "Prey".......that plug is devastating!! Its almost all I throw at night!! Casts a mile and is great at finding fish!!:drool:

Hoping my Steam Born boots arrive today! Also that they fit!

likwid
09-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Larry,
I talked to someone at Korkers about this boot a few months back and they told me that it was not a good choice for saltwater because the lace system get's corroded very easily. If you're looking for the whole Korkers system the streamborn boot seems like a good choice. Josh has been wearing those all season and has not had a problem from what I can tell.

Luds, who did you talk to there?
I've been using both the Streamborns and Guides all season w/o any issues.

I'm trying to convince them they need to go to carbide studs on the felt studded soles. :hihi:

BigFish
09-15-2008, 10:26 AM
They just got delivered!:jump: They fit great! Can't wait to use them!!!:drool:

5 String Bass
09-15-2008, 01:29 PM
I've been beating the hell out of my cross currents all season and I love 'em. If they were to disintergrate tomorrow (and they will not), I'd buy another pair tomorrow night.

Great products!

flyvice11787
09-15-2008, 05:43 PM

A little bit of a hijack here, but Zeno, if you're catching that many fish, you should just chalk it up as a pretty fair price to pay. It may be time to change up on the snaps though :grins:.

hyefisherman2
09-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Yes..It looks like there is some metal in the lacing system..
You want the Streamborn model.

really dissapointed to hear that these laces rust...:read:

i still think i'm gonna purchase them though....and if they rust then they rust...ill deal with that problem when i cross that bridge.

Zeno
09-15-2008, 08:58 PM
A little bit of a hijack here, but Zeno, if you're catching that many fish, you should just chalk it up as a pretty fair price to pay. It may be time to change up on the snaps though :grins:.

not really a lot....most guys gave up after 4 hours of fish on every cast
Its a bit like casting in the tub.....all the cookie cutter size
I tried new snaps this weekend, kind of breakaway things....lost 3 plugs and had one snap open on a 5lb bass...I learned my lesson

Adam_777
09-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Off topic but which clips man ? I been using the 80lb spinlinks and 50lb fastlinks or vice versa never had a problem yet. I can reel in a lobster pot without either opening.

Zeno
09-16-2008, 05:06 PM
I am a little hesitant of naming product, many people seem to like it, maybe its just me?
Plus, taking shots is not my style
I had one clip straighten completely by a 5 lb blue ,lost two beach master juniors and big fish prey. They all somehow slipped off the thing over the course of two nights.
I haven't lost a single plug all year ,and 3 in 24 hours.....

eastendlu
09-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Can't fool me Zeno your doing research for your next book.The Art of the release.:jump1:

Adam_777
09-16-2008, 08:45 PM
No biggee I just don't want to lose any of my gear in the future.I have a couple packs of the clips that have been fine for me.

Pete F.
09-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Were they breakaways or something similar?
I have yet to break a breakaway, 20# fireline pops first.

reelecstasy
09-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Got my Streamborns yesterday, fit great and broke them in right,,,

BF's big Danny, you know the color bigboy... :btu:

NIB
10-01-2008, 12:56 PM
I am a little hesitant of naming product, many people seem to like it, maybe its just me?
Plus, taking shots is not my style
I had one clip straighten completely by a 5 lb blue ,lost two beach master juniors and big fish prey. They all somehow slipped off the thing over the course of two nights.
I haven't lost a single plug all year ,and 3 in 24 hours.....

It's a inherent problem with the design.The fastlock is more likely to have that happen in my estimation than the Breakaway clips..
IMO easier on means easier off...If you would have payed attention to the NIB you would know this..I only use the breakaway clips for jigs.When jigging only..The large ones...When plugging I use the # 35 coast lock.That I round out the bottoms with a pair of round nose pliers.Like the ones Mike At CC Tackle sells..
It is the only way...
:smash:

Crafty Angler
10-01-2008, 01:16 PM
The studs on the soles seem to be a few short.Like in the middle of the instep.Very important area when you step to that top of the mountain rock.There and in the tip of the shoe.It helps to have something there when stepping up on a rock.I added 5 carbide stud screws. This also helps to keep em on.

Hey NIBs, where'd you get the carbide stud screws :huh:

NIB
10-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Hey NIBs, where'd you get the carbide stud screws :huh:

Try bergstrem skegs..A company named wearbars makes a screw headed koker stud.I have not tried yet but it looks good..

NIB
10-01-2008, 01:20 PM
ps

I just realized I had handled that plug earlier that evening...:rude::wavey:

Crafty Angler
10-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Try bergstrem skegs..A company named wearbars makes a screw headed koker stud.I have not tried yet but it looks good..

Thanks, NIBs - hey, wait a minute, what's up here - everybody got the afternoon off?

I got the next 3 in a row off...let's see...front coming thru tonite....big swell has diminished...

Better go and pick up some more eels, I guess -

HEY-OOOOOOO :humpty::humpty::humpty: