View Full Version : Lip hook

sand_man
10-26-2000, 06:46 PM
It has happend to us all. On an ideal pick-up, I let the fish run for what seems like forever but is probably 5-6 seconds. Then I nail her hard. If you set the hook right after pickup no way was the ell in her mouth. I have seen newbie's slam the rod back after a nice hit only to see the eel come flying out of her mouth. (they never come back for a second hit either) This is generally followed by a loud swear word.
I like the 6/0 Mustad Stainless. (I know they do not decay as fast but they are stiff as hell!) And I replace my trebles (on plugs) with hand brazed stainless as well. I have lost to many big fish on plugs having the hook straighten out. Every now and they one will break but it is a rare event. I know some will say...let out the drag and let her run but in most of the places I fish letting the fish run is not a question, you may as well cut the line. There is one problem with stainless hooks...they can't be cut with pliers. This becomes a problem i you bury one in you. I got one thru my eyelid one dark night at SW point and it was a bitch getting that hook out. I had to do the deed and back it out. I was not a pretty sight but all is OK today. (But the good news is I got a 58 that night!)

That is why I love eels, once you have a good hook set with a sharp single stainless barbed hook, the line has to brake for her to get off. You can but an enormous amount of pressure on the fish without a problem.

Next time after a hit, try this:
as soon as un feel the pick up, drop the rod tip down to the water and point the rod at the fish. Wait 6+seconds (more like 10 if you can stand to ) and nail her. Sometimes she will run, then stop then take off again. It is on the start of the second burst you want the hook driven deep. Then put the boots to her, she aint gettin off unless line breaks and that aint gonna happen cause it is fresh and brand new.

I glad to hear there are a few left.....I am on my way

eelman
10-27-2000, 07:13 AM
Thats exactly what I said in the other thread sandman! The second run is when to hit them hard!! Its very rare to lose an eel hooked bass!