View Full Version : How Do You Guys Do It?

bill huki
09-13-2008, 08:57 PM
How do you keep fishing as hard as you do when the fishing is hard. I have had nothing for a coulpe of years now. I definitely do not fish as well as I use to. Every once in awhile I luck into some fish. Didn't use to be that way. I use to be able to figure stuff out. If I was not catching I would at least see other people so I could find a pattern and come back the next night. Except for the canal I hardly ever see another person fishing. Tonight I caught 3 schoolies and a bluefish It was a banner night. A couple of #20's use to be a slow night. How do you figure out where to fish without spending $50.00 of gas a night?

striperman36
09-13-2008, 09:00 PM
REDBULL

spence
09-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Don't you know, most fisherman lie :hee:

-spence

piemma
09-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Who said we know where the fish are?:chased:

numbskull
09-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Fish are spottier the last few years. Chasing fish reports will ruin you. The canal will ruin and humble you. Many guys have a network of buddies that put them on fish. Most learn a few spots near where they live and work them hard, trying different techniques. The real skill in fishing is finding large fish on your own, not catching them once you know where they are and what they are eating. When fishing is slow, the best guys take it as a challenge and work harder.

nklinesider
09-14-2008, 06:22 AM
worked pretty hard tonite from brenton point to allens harbor from shore. 3 bass around 25 inches and one that went 31 inch. lots of small blues around too.

Back Beach
09-14-2008, 06:41 AM
How do you figure out where to fish without spending $50.00 of gas a night?

If you don't live close to the water, plan on burning gas. Last night was a good example. We had the fish good in a place two nights ago, only to return last night for nothing.
With regard to surf fishing, you need to accept a low batting average, say .300, and take it as a successful benchmark. Nobody has or ever will hit fish every time out, especially from shore. What could be described as "good" fishing for me is to get a decent fish every third or fourth trip. This is probably close to my 20 year average.You get back to back big nights sometimes, but not often.
On my last six surf trips I had two mid 30# fish on different nights and four skunks. One of the other guys on this site who is having the year of his life, agreed with the .300 average. Although it sounds like he's killing large fish every time out, its much less than what you think. Lots of effort is needed to yield the occasional good or great night.
If anyone tells you they slay large fish every time out, immediately place them high on your list of B.S. artists.

Jimmy Fee
09-14-2008, 08:13 AM
I'll echo the amount of effort needed to get into big fish consistently. Consistent being a relative term of course. I find big fish catching to be more streaky than spotty if that makes sense. Meaning, I'll work very hard, finally crack the code, and catch good fish until something changes -- the tide gets too late, the water temperature changes, the bait moves, the wind shifts, etc. Then it's back to the drawing board, and there will be a healthy supply of frustrating nights while trying to find them.

piemma
09-14-2008, 08:24 AM
If anyone tells you they slay large fish every time out, immediately place them high on your list of B.S. artists.

Man do I know someone who fits that bill. :cputin: