View Full Version : XP geek question

UserRemoved1
09-15-2008, 04:30 PM
My windows is corrupted and is spitting out intermittent errors. I believe I have a problem on my motherboard and got a new board to change it.

Here's the question...After the board is replaced I'm told I can boot from the xp cd and repair windows without losing or having to re-load programs. Anyone ever done this before successfully or am I in for another week of software reloading?

I'm going to ghost everything booting directly off the Ghost disk...as a fail safe in case the reinstall doesnt work so I can put it back again.

striperman36
09-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I told you the answer

UserRemoved1
09-15-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm spaced then :hee: cuz I don't remember the answer I've got all this sudden geekness in my head :)

striperman36
09-15-2008, 06:44 PM
if the new motherhoard uses the same BIOS you should be fine.
Just like taking the disk and putting it in a new machine.
I can see the geekness seeping in. It must EEEEOOOYOORREEE

But then it may rain tomorrow.

Bill

striperman36
09-15-2008, 06:45 PM
EMail me if you have issues, i'll help out.
Make sure the drive is in the same boot position in the new mb or see if you can see it in the bios menu prior to trying to boot and set the boot order to the new location of the boot disk.

UserRemoved1
09-15-2008, 07:00 PM
no it's a different board so the bios got to be different cuz don't they use all their own setups for each manufacturer?

The guy at the shop said to ghost it by booting off the norton ghost disk. then change the board, then reboot immediately into win xp disk and go into repair not repair console I think it was he said. He said let it do it's thing and it may work but if not then I got the ghosted d drive to go back to on the old board for now to keep me up n running. He didnt sound too confident though that this was going to fix my problems-can't go into users to see anything it crashes right away, also avg has been removed and reinstalled 2 times now on this and it has spurious emmissions when programs try to access the net etc. Does wierd stuff. Intermittent svcproc error that doesn't let you open or close any programs...traced one to avg, reinstalled etc and now it does it sometimes on eudora email. It all goes back to unplugging that network cable. That is when all these problems started and it was some kind of funky boot that windows went into where it would give you a small windows xp logo and blue screen and that was it. You could reboot it 10 times and it would do 10 different things. Still errors intermittently and I have to re-boot. I had problems like this once before and it turned out to be something trying to update online but this is all worse than that now.

I'm going to try this tomorrow I guess. If anyone sees flames on the horizon it's me.

striperman36
09-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Like I said, email me if you have issues, I'll brink my mallet over.

UserRemoved1
09-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Have mallet will travel

Thanks Bill :fishin:

Like I said, email me if you have issues, I'll brink my mallet over.

striperman36
09-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Is it, not dead?

UserRemoved1
09-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I got one more bin of pencils to run thru the cnc today and may try it later on. Never enough time in a day man.

striperman36
09-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Where's EEEEEEYORE when you need him

kenyee
09-16-2008, 12:11 PM
I always thought you needed a new license for a new MB w/ XP's stupid licensing, so I dug for a bit out of curiosity...this should be enough info to help out:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
Ideally, you'd swap w/ an identical motherboard, but if not, only do the Repair option. Otherwise, you need a new activation key. That's how I read it at least...

striperman36
09-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Nice article.
Good to bookmark that one.

striperman36
09-16-2008, 12:29 PM
This is what I thought your MB kind really meant to tell you.

Bill

UserRemoved1
09-16-2008, 01:53 PM
so what that says is to boot to the xp disk then when it goes to reboot you unplug it when it's off and then change the motherboard & reboot to the cd again or directly to the hard disk?

I was going to set the bios to boot only from the cd so I wouldn't have any problems and could boot to the norton disk and copy the drive back. Now i'm not sure if thats a good idea?

UserRemoved1
09-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Holy crap

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

yes no yes yes no no no :spin::spin::spin::spin:

hello microsoft? I had to call the last time I swapped the motherboard. Bet I will this time too.

striperman36
09-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Well 120 days has passed.

kenyee
09-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Yep, specifically from that URL...that's what I remembered as well so I was surprised you guys could do that. I think the "Repair Install" option is a hack to work around this:

"Changing the motherboard

Installing a replacement motherboard will change the IDE controller, and usually will mean that you change to a new, faster, processor. If the processor is one with a serial number (Pentium III), then you lose a third vote — including when you change to a processor with no serial number, such as an Athlon. If you also add RAM, or if the motherboard is one with an on-board SCSI adapter, that makes four or five categories now voting No — you would need an unchanged NIC to avoid having to call in for reactivation. If the new motherboard also has inbuilt video (and possibly even a NIC of its own!), you run right out of Yes votes with this one hardware change.

Again, this doesn’t stop you from making such a hardware change, nor from using Windows XP thereafter. The phone-in reactivation option was created for just this type of situation. Also, this is an extreme example. Due to the onboard features of some motherboards, this one hardware change is equivalent to several changes at once.
"

You'll need to call in most likely...

striperman36
09-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Since I am going to be doing this like 4 times myself, this winter, hopefully, Scott hasn't mashed the computer yet.

UserRemoved1
09-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Sheet man I'm still creating an image. Norton will not let me ghost these drives on the rescue disk. There is no such option there.

Gimme a while I'm going to blow it up tonite.

Good bye everyone see you on the other side :wavey: :gorez: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

striperman36
09-16-2008, 04:48 PM
I have a mallet. better yet that mb would look good hitting the impeller of that dust collector in the shop!!
Or maybe we can drill it on the CNC mill.

striperman36
09-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Is it done yet?

UserRemoved1
09-16-2008, 09:22 PM
will only boot to safe mode now. It took me this long to just get the intel network driver up and running. If I try to boot normally it comes up with a REALLY quick window with a blue background and white lettering on the screen. In about 12000 boots now I think it says something about there's a problem and the only other thing your able to catch is something about restart.

%$%$%$%$ me :wall:

I now have an administrator user and me. I am supposed to be the admin.

Did I mention how much I hate this %$%$%$%$. :yak5: An entire night wasted.

UserRemoved1
09-17-2008, 04:44 AM
That machine is going to get a royal douche very soon and a format to a new install. Going to have to. It's installing windows software/drivers to the D drive and it's not supposed to be. The D drive is ghosting drive only. the boot problem is the video driver puking. Fixed that this morning and it did boot normal before I walked out the door. Wanna hear a wacky one? The admin user account is gone now. Only me as a admin user now. ALL from reinstalling the video card.

My head hurts.

striperman36
09-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Sorry, I feel your pain.

striperman36
09-17-2008, 10:29 AM
What happened?

UserRemoved1
09-17-2008, 11:12 AM
I dunno I been out at the Dentist all morning. Loot Canal round 3

I think you could shove a screw threw the side of my face and I wouldn't feel a thing right now.

I hope it's still running when I get back. I don't think I can ghost it now I think it will over-write stuff on the hard drive on D which may be what is screwing this thing up.

Adam_777
09-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Would have been easier to just call MS and tell them you replaced the board.They don't much care about windows xp anymore.So you upgraded mobo's . I usually opt for a fresh install after an upgrade.I like the new car smell and feel.Just download sp3 installer from windows update and run it after your install and your good to go.

UserRemoved1
09-18-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm starting to feel like a geek :wall:

striperman36
09-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Would have been easier to just call MS and tell them you replaced the board.They don't much care about windows xp anymore.So you upgraded mobo's . I usually opt for a fresh install after an upgrade.I like the new car smell and feel.Just download sp3 installer from windows update and run it after your install and your good to go.

SP3 KILLED MY MCE DONT DO IT

UserRemoved1
09-18-2008, 04:21 PM
too late I did it last nite. :happy:

UserRemoved1
09-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Whatever caused this problem caused my email program to completely lose it's datebase of any messages in or out for numerous days. I figured this out accidentally today when I was trying to research a customers order. Like those days never existed.

Raven
09-22-2008, 06:21 PM
you should have stuff like that saved off site as a picture
just in case....

striperman36
09-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Whatever caused this problem caused my email program to completely lose it's datebase of any messages in or out for numerous days. I figured this out accidentally today when I was trying to research a customers order. Like those days never existed.

SP3 kills me

took me 2 hours to reinstall for mce to work again msft is almost as bad as ORACLE

UserRemoved1
09-22-2008, 06:48 PM
yea but you wear a pocket protector and I turn wood :hee:

It's been super stable since replacing the motherboard which is good.

striperman36
09-22-2008, 06:55 PM
excellent

striperman36
09-22-2008, 07:04 PM
I feel your pain

MrHunters
09-22-2008, 07:34 PM
you are always going to have problems replacing the mb if the chipsets are different. when xp calls the chipset drivers and its the wrong mb = blue screen. I skimmed through the entire thread so it looks like your up and running again.

typically in this scenario i would at the very least go with the same mtherboard vendor asus with asus, intel with intel etc etc. that will get you in the right direction.

Check out acronis imaging over norton ghost. they have an add on call universal recovery where you can call specific mother board drivers or whatever else drivers you need. doesnt sound like you need help anymore but in the future thats probably why you had difficulty. yes bios causes a problem but chipset is a bigger problem.

Swimmer
09-25-2008, 07:27 AM
I JUST READ ALL THESE POSTS. HOW DID THIS TURN OUT Scot?

UserRemoved1
10-02-2008, 05:41 PM
BILL!!! PLUGNPLAY!!!

No reconfiguring no nothing!!

UserRemoved1
10-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Swimmer I literally JUST got the last part to work here at the house and got a network again. What a pain in the royal rump. You don't want to replace a motherboard like that but that link that Kenyee posted earlier was definitely the right way to do that. It's been very stable now, it had rebooted once yesterday but suspect we lost power not sure.

I JUST READ ALL THESE POSTS. HOW DID THIS TURN OUT Scot?

striperman36
10-02-2008, 05:50 PM
If you were a GEEK or had one do it, you would not have had to suffer so long!!!