View Full Version : Custom Rods ~ Are they Worth It ??

Striper SniperX
11-19-2002, 10:14 PM
I would like to TRY and build a rod,, what is the estimate Cost for the blank, butt, guides, seat, etc,, to make a simple 6'-8' rod??
I would use All the CHEAPEST BLANKS AND MATERIALS,, i'm just starting,, no need for a G-loomis or Lamiglass expensive blank,, how many hours would this take me,, <one who knows squat about rod makng :( > and would it be 'fishable' and could i trust it to fish with ??
Can you built it by hand,, <no machines> or do you need machines <wrapping machines,,etc> and is there any up-coming classes in Cranston/Warwick,, or near by?? Free??
and do them classes give you the info you need to do it on yer own?

Could I get a Custom Rod,, 12-30 lb Line Cap,, At-least 3oz Lure Weight around 7'-8'-9' for Under $150 ? even one that is half built and needs compleation ,, or even NEW but Used ?

it don't have to be pretty,, i just hear they last SO long that your grandkids will be catching fish on them,, that sounds cool ;)

So as my Main Question Goes,,, Are Custom Rods Worth The Exra Bucks?? Is it the Same to buy an expensive, lets say , Penn Sabre, <$136.99 appx> ?? or is the joy of having one custom fit to you make you cast better? get less tierd casting one after another all day? are they Lighter Weight ? is there any CUSTOM Rod that come in 2 Peice? How about Conventional, or Baitcast? really wondering :)
MikeCC OR Saltheart,, i heard you both make custom rods,, so you coud probably answer this best..... thanks :)

thanks guys

I know these questions have been asked,,an i appreciate any answers/tips/replies,,, thanks alot :)

Fishpart
11-20-2002, 07:16 AM
They are worth it. A custom builder takes the tiem to spline the rod for the particular application spinnig or casting, spaces the guides for optimum performance, puts on the correct number of guides of the right size and can fit the rod to your reach ect.

You can build a rod by hand, CHECK THE LIBRARY they probably have some books available or can borrow them from another library.

You should be able to build a good surf stick in the 150 range, expect to pay >200 for a completed custom stick. You will find that most builders will only build on a quality blank so right out of the gate you pay more than you will for a factory rod.

Got Stripers
11-20-2002, 08:10 AM
Big mistake to "buy the cheepest components", IMHO even if you are just starting out. Why do I say that, because I'm still fishing the very first Lamiglass blank built rod I ever built and it's still one of my favorites. People think this is rocket science, it's not and with the correct step-by-step procedure, your first rod will last a lifetime. Decorative threadwork is a different subject, that takes time and a lot of experience to get it right. I'd go with a durable GW series Lami, all fugi Hardloy guides, fugi reel seat and take my time. On my message board, I've got a step-by-step procedure for building, plus about 50 pictures to help, so go for it.

JohnR
11-20-2002, 08:29 AM
You can build a quality fishing rod for about 100 bucks - not super high end like a Loomis or Lami but 85% as good and tons better than almost anything off the shelf. Exactly what I use for 80% of my fishing.

$60 = 1088 Batson - excellent wood plug & eel rod
$ 7 (or 5) = Fuji trigger reel seat fpr conventional (or normal seat for spin)
$12 (or 18)= guides for conventional 30 / 25 / 20 / 16 / 16 / 12 / tip - just guessing on the sizes I would need see "chart" (for spin)
$2 = butt cap
$10 = Cork Tape
$8 = a few spools of thread
$5 = epoxy

mikecc
11-20-2002, 09:22 AM
First off there are lots of blank manufactures. Some of the imports have low cost with out sacrificing quality rarely exceed 7’-1pc. in length unless you go with a 2 pc rod.
Rainshadow/Batson offers good quality American made blanks (Cascade) on the same mandrels as Pacific Bay/ Sabre for much lower cost than Sabre, Lamiglas or Loomis.

Next I would only go with Fuji guides the difference in the cost might be a couple bucks but they are by far the best quality.

There are many Blanks available in either 1 or 2pc.which can be used conventional or spinning.

Consider the grips, Cork Tape is great for surf rods but for thinner rods you might want to consider foam or real cork other wise you will have to double the cork tape.
You should at low end get away with spending approx $75. complete
Med range 8-9’ somewhere about $100. -120
To have the same rods built by a custom builder 120.- 180. avg

On my first rod I would choose colors that do not need color preserver. A different color lighter preferred as an under wrap Darker as an over wrap.

You can get away with a set of felt lined V blocks to wrap on. But you will need to adapt something to spin the rod while drying or go with multiple thin coats of finish occasionally turning by hand to prevent sagging.

Custom rods are far in a way better when properly built than production rods.
They are built to fit the individual’s body and come with the choice of colors, wraps, designs, grips, guide choice and splined.
You will see a few of the higher end rods do not come under wrapped & Fewer guides or cheaper guides no trigger seats for conventional surf rods.
some even bost using fuji guides but they use a type of fuji guides (cheeper)that no builder would consider using.
When you break in down they are saving lots of money by not offering these items.
In some cases with their Minimum retail prices they are more expensive than Customs on the same blanks.

it don't have to be pretty,, i just hear they last SO long that your grandkids will be catching fish on them,, that sounds cool

Like any rod they can break if improperly used , banged , dropped
or improperly built and yes there are even a few factory defect blanks that get thru their inspections.

I will be having the rod building classes at my house no charge of course. but trying to nail down a date.
I have a show in SC. I will be away from the Jan 4th thru the 13
rod crafters seminar 16-19th
then a nother tackle show 26th & 27th

I could probably do the show in 1 day and have the rodbuilding work shop on the 25th 26th of January. I put it out there in a seperate post and see what kind of response those dates get.