View Full Version : Surf wagon, literally.

Patrick
10-26-2000, 09:39 PM
As many of you know, I don't drive and you can't drive on my town's beaches. Unfortunately, I am unfairly limited to the stuff I can carry. Then I was looking at those Radio Flyer wagons. Why couldn't I walk to the beach with that thing loaded up?

Right now, I carry one rod and a bag of plugs.

If I set this up, I could mount PVC pipes on the outside for rods and on the inside have 3 six-pack coolers for eels, bait and food. I was even thinking if I used one of those Cabela's Radial rod holders on the back and I wouldn't even need the sandspike. I could throw my raingear in there or maybe dry clothes.

This all came about because today. I was trying to snag peanut bunker with my 10 footer and then cast them out. I said to myself, "If only I had my 7 footer."

What do you guys think of this. Is this overkill? You fellas talk about going to the beach with stacks of rods and crates of plugs. I'm not at that level where I know exactly what I need just yet.

Good idea or waste of money?

Jenn
10-26-2000, 11:27 PM
well, I think it is all a matter of opinion. However, I will say that I love being able to drive right out on the beach with the truck. I have recently bought one of those fanny packs and also have a blast just taking a nice walk out on the beach without all the "stuff" , I feel more "free", even though it limits my options. I say do whatever you feel like doing!

Jenn
10-26-2000, 11:30 PM
P.S. Not a good way to pick up chicks though........:)

Patrick
10-27-2000, 12:44 AM
Nevermind. you see how much those wagons cost? They're like 160 bucks! That's crazy. Maybe if I find one at a tag sale though.

JohnR
10-27-2000, 06:52 AM
What about a bike? Probably the most overlooked "Surf Wagon" there is other than at the Cape Cod Canal. Hundreds of people get around the ditch with those AND their 10' surf rods. Mount a couple rocket launchers on it, throw your bag in the basket and Honk if you got a Keepah!!!

Fishpart
10-27-2000, 09:30 AM
I know I have salvaged a ton of nice stuff form "BULK TRASH" down there in NewHaven and Cheshire. Keep your eyes out for one of those Little Tykes wagons. They have big wheels that will work better in the sand than radio flyers.

Saltheart
10-27-2000, 09:39 AM
Not a bad idea if you can pull it over the sand.

Billybob
10-27-2000, 10:33 AM
Patrick, try one of those golf bag wheel things, be a lot easier to pull on sand.
How is it that you figure you are "unfairly limited" - whats up with that?

Patrick
10-27-2000, 11:18 AM
It's crazy what people throw out isn't it? One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I think I would be able to pull it over the sand. Fairfield has dense sand, just like most the people. :)

Jenn, what you don't realize, the women hover around me like a flock seagulls diving at a school of bunker. When I turned 18, there was a line of women around the block! Claw marks on the outside of the door from women trying to get in. Thank God for deadbolts. :D :P

BillyBob. I feel unfairly limited because most these fellas can throw extra stuff in the surf buggy. It might be a short walk back to there but if I need something, it's a long walk home. My 7 footers and my 8 footer all stay home because I only have so many hands.

Billybob
10-27-2000, 12:20 PM
Well Patrick, I got just the ticket for you.I was gonna say get a job,and get a car, so on.
But I didn't realize you were such a stud puppy. Now all you gotta do is hang out by the Sea Grape and all those summer homes that the Fairfield U girls rent for the winter.When they all start fighting over you,watch where they go to fix their hair and makeup after the cat fight. Pick the one who lives closest to your favorite honey hole, and avail her of the pleasures of Patrick the studly surfcaster.Now your in, you have a place to store your gear, and something to do when the fish ain't biting.

JeffH
10-27-2000, 01:17 PM
Patrick how do you going "parking" with your girlfriend(s) in that little red wagon. I would think it would be a little uncomfortable.......

Jenn
10-27-2000, 09:27 PM
HA!HA!HA! My stomach needed a good work out! Thanks Jeff H. !!

I don't know Patty-boy, you could be a hotty for all I know but there just doesn't seem to be anything sexy about a little red wagon (unless you are a pervert) :) HA!HA!

Patrick
10-27-2000, 10:01 PM
ROFL. JeffH, you are priceless.

Let me tell you guys something. Jenn, I know you are a technically young but I'm from the "new millenium" coming of age. Even my experienced teachers noticed a huge difference between my graduating class and the class before us.

Anyways, as I was saying, most the guys my age don't go around chasing "p". I know I don't. It's so popular today the "knock up and run" thing and not mention a whole host of STDs. Not only that, with all the information that we are recieving at light speed about how smoking causes cancer and testicular cancer, AIDs, overwhelming drug usage, car accidents, sometimes it seems like they are sending the message: "be afraid, be very afraid". A lot of guys these days want to settle down really fast and have a family because they are afraid that if they don't now, it'll be too late.

Personally, I'm not interested in "P". I like women and all, but I can clearly see other motives to be with people then just to get it on. I don't want to be the stereotype of the teenage male even if I am a teenage male.

It's not like I couldn't get any. I'm sure I could. You might not realize this but I'm devastatingly smashing. Like James Bond, just without the cool car and gadgets.

Now if we can stop throwing up the sex thing, that would be great. I'm not annoyed or anything, just don't see the relevance of "getting some" and fishing have to do with each other.

Damon M.
10-27-2000, 10:34 PM
Patrick, you really dont need a wagon to tow all that stuff around. I drive a pick-up truck with a rod rack in the bed. If I drive out on the beach on the cape, I'll take a bunch of rods, but most of the time I fish places where you cant drive on the beach. I only take one rod with me if I have to leave the truck. This forces me to consolidate my gear. The only thing I have in my hand is my rod when I walk out on the beach. If Im eel fishing, I'll have a jug of eels and a butt pack or if Im plugging, I'll have a plug bag and a butt pack. I have a feeling that wagon would be full of all sorts of unneccessary junk. Choose your most versatile rod, which in my mind is a 9 ft graphite and take that. If you're after big fish, then concentrate on fishing for big bass and dont waste your time with schoolies and light tackle. If you're in the mood to mess with schoolies, take the 8 footer. You should always have a plan. The great thing about a 9 ft rod is you can handle a big fish, but still pass the time with schoolies if thats all that your long walk produces. Dont disgrace your first 35 pounder by towing it down the street in a radio flyer.

Jenn
10-28-2000, 12:28 AM
Patrick, I am sorry if I offended you. What I really meant was just to have some fun....no harm meant, just busting stones. And well I suppose I shouldn't talk about love lives lately (ha!ha!) because I am in the midst of this freedom issue lately (that wasn't an issue for the past seven years by the way). I hope you will see my little "haha" notes and realize that is my way of horsin'around.

So...ah...I can't go fishing alone so you free??? HA!HA! ;)

Patrick
10-28-2000, 02:13 AM
lol Jenn.
No I'm semi-taken by several women. ;) actually just one.

JohnR
10-30-2000, 07:17 AM
Sure Patrick. But your mom doesn't count ;P ... Get a job!!! or go to school!!! You should have only three choices at this time of your life; Go to school, whether a trade school or college, get a job and start working towards a future, or take a year off (and ofcourse you'll need to take advantage of item #2. How do you occupy 168hrs in a week??? Can't be all behind the TV or 'puter. It cannot be all spent on the pier, er uh, jetty, and it probably is not spent in the arms of your herum (sp?)... I'm not trying to be rude here, but you gotta do something....

eelman
10-30-2000, 07:57 AM
Man!!! When I was your age patty-boy all I did was Chase tail!!! That was the best sport there i! Get some raincoats and go have some fun!!

Now the only tail I chase have lines on them! You have your whole life to fish! go get some young beuty to spend all those cold nights with!!!

schoolie monster
10-30-2000, 04:00 PM
You know, I'm out of the country for a week and everything goes to he#$...

The first time I see someone dragging around a little red wagon full of gear, I'm throwin' the jeep into 4-wheel low and runnin' the bastard over! Just kidding... maybe.

90% of my fishing is walk-in and carry what you can. I would love to drive to all the spots, but it ain't happenin'. Consolidate your gear, take a versatile rod... a fanny-pack or backpack can hold a ton of stuff if organized properly. If your area is mostly beach buggy territory, then you may want to set a goal for yourself and buy a 4x4. You're only 18. Get a job, start saving now... build and sell some boats, patent your bait launching system, spend your lottery winnings... however you can scrape it together.

As for you Jenn...if you was my womanfolk, you'd better believe you'd be at home in the kitchen... absolutely kidding...seriously, it sucks that it has to be this way, but fishing alone at night may not be a great idea for any of us. John and I ran into a few winners this year while down at the cape... on the beach and on the road. Now that he has relocated, I'll likely be fishing more alone and to be honest, I'm thinkin' about getting a carry and conceal permit. Anytime you have people out there drinkin', etc., you have the potential for something bad to happen.

I would discourage my wife from going out alone, but then again, as others have mentioned, she wouldn't have to. And she worries about me when I'm by myself. My suggestion would be to build a network and find some other fishing partners... people you and your husband know and trust. That way if he doesn't want to go, you have some other people who might. If he's not cool with that, well, then I say that's a problem. You might have to kick him in the @$$.

And don't be afraid to ask people that you think aren't interested. You may be surprised.

Jenn
10-30-2000, 09:58 PM
Welp' I went and did it anyway. I have been itchin' to get out one more time before I had to call it quits for the season. I begged Friday night and no go, I got "maybe for Sat.. Well Sat. came and I asked again....nope again. However, something strange happened and he said "if you have to go, go" so I did. I realize it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but it made me feel good to get out there (even though I froze :) ) and it was good for me mentally too I think.
I saw quite a few splashes and bait fish but didn't hook anything. I did meet a very nice man who gave me a few pointers and we actually did more chatting than fishing. But thats ok because I now have new knowledge for next time!!! :) I did make sure I was in a fairly decent area close to the road and such. Also made sure to bring along that, um , ah, extra large sharp knife.......just in case....

JeffH
10-30-2000, 10:17 PM
Jesshhh, Jenn where did you find this guy he just doesn't sound normal. In fact, he kind of sounds like my wife. :)

JohnR
10-31-2000, 07:32 AM
Jenn - I would certainly recommend the buddy system whenever you go out. Regardless of running into undesireables, having something like badly twisting an ankle or ripping up a knee would not do you well when flying solo. Having said that, one thing to keep in mind for this time of year is that you can do well during the day too. The fish are moving and feeding around the clock!!!

But it sounds like hubby'll need to start his own chapter of the Fishing Widowers Club, does he crosstich? :P Just kidding, he actually does seem like a very nice fellow other than how the shoe is on the other stump...

John M
11-02-2000, 06:33 PM
Who would have know you was a stud puppy Patrick. Congrats.......I am will #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, chasing tail is fine sport I did okay wne I was younger then I caught some tail and now all I do is chase tails with stripes or spots, scales whatever.......

chris L
11-07-2000, 05:08 PM
here here #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& . When i was 16 to 18 , tail was all there was I even went to germany in search of tail spent 6yrs there and never once fished and I lived on the Rhein River , fishing was done only after I caught a few tails . Patrick please go get laid it looks like from this thread you need it . Sorry ladies . Your better off with a bicycle than a wagon and use fanny packs for the small items
Im also from connecticut I know thw sand around here and I think even though their expensive you'll end up tossing it in the sound before long .

Patrick
11-07-2000, 11:31 PM
I don't have to chase P. P comes running to me. ;)

JohnR
11-08-2000, 09:06 AM
Chris L??

Wo ins Deutschland haben sie gewhonnen? I habe drie jahre ins Stuttgart gewhonnt. Seiner vater mit dem Amerikanische Army sein??? (that was pretty crappy German) - translated - you an army brat?

chris L
11-08-2000, 02:51 PM
Im a veteran . I might be a brat but not an Army brat . Germany 77-83 8th inf division Ish libe en Mainz-Gohnsenheim

JohnR
11-08-2000, 03:21 PM
I misunderstood, I thought that you were in Germany at 16. Little young to be waiting for the tanks to start pouring through the Fulda Gap... Was great over there. My father worked for DOD and was stationed at Patch Barracks, so I went to Patch Patch High. @nd largest beerfest in the world was only 10 minutes from school (OK maybe 20)... Speaking of chasing t***, er, umm, the oposite sex in Germany, I remember having been there for about a month when a friend of mine and I met these two pretty German girls about our age... Behind the Stuttgarter Hofbrau tent, on the bumper of a Mercedes Ramp truck... well, lets just say that I was supprised to see more hair under her armpits than I had under mine... What a suprise!! Fortunately, at least the legs were shaved :o

chris L
11-08-2000, 05:19 PM
surprise surprise . They shaved their legs thats a shock goes to show you americans sure can influence other cultures . I had a lot of ladies with more hair under their arms than me too . What a great place . Maybe Ill get back there .

Jenn
11-09-2000, 12:36 AM
Any ladies out there wanna join forces and make the men blush??? :)

ooooooooohhhhhh...LEATHER!!!!! Tight A#@ LEATHER!!!......ok, thats your cue.... :)