View Full Version : Getting rid of mineral spirit stink?

Chuckwood
09-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi all,

First batch of plugs came out great ... until I tested them in the local lake. After that, I could smell the heady aroma of mineral spirits and linseed oil, the mixture that I used before applying primer.

The scent was coming from the swivel hole in the belly, the nose and the tail.

Suggestions for eliminating the smell, while still being able to preserve the wood?

This time, I just expoxied the whole magilla. I hope that works.

Chuckwood

Grapenuts
09-16-2008, 05:35 PM
didn't let them dry long enough..they're still wet inside.Not much you can do but wait now.Sometimes I'll let them sit for a month or two before even looking at them after sealing the batch.

BigFish
09-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Did you use "Linseed Oil"? Or "Boiled Linseed Oil"? If you used linseed oil....you might have to let them sit at least a month! Should be using boiled linseed oil...they are 2 different animals.

Also how long did you soak them for??

BigFish
09-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Also...what was the mix ration of the two??

Backbeach Jake
09-16-2008, 06:03 PM
One of the best catching plugs I ever had was A Canal Special that reeked of turpentine. The odor hit me in the face when I opened the package. Freekin seal took it...I don't think that solvent odor matters all in all.

Slipknot
09-16-2008, 06:04 PM
stinky chemicals need time and warmth to leave the wood like grapenuts said

mineral spirits don't evaporate as quickly as lots of other thinner, but they are less caustic

Chuckwood
09-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi all,

They sat for about 2-3 months.

Ratio was 50/50.

Not sure if it was boiled or not.

I have a feeling the "boiled" part is the issue.

NH

Rickbgm
09-30-2008, 07:32 PM
If you used "linseed oil" instead of "boiled linseed oil" it will not dry. You can buy oderless mineral spirits at Home Depot but the smell of linseed oil, boiled or not, takes a while to get rid of. I seal with Spar urethane 50/50 with oderless mineral spirits and there is almost no oder after they dry.