View Full Version : Is it really worth it?

ilovetwofish
09-22-2008, 03:22 AM
I am thinking about having a 10' 2 peice customized lamiglass rod built to my likings.
I have always fished with rods under a hundred bucks and never had any serious problems.I still catch fish and cast pretty far with my $100 tusanmi is that how you spell it whatever.
I don'n no if its worth it whats the differnce maybe a little lighter rod,or a difference of a couple of feet in distance casting distance,$250 price distance, or so I look like I know what i'm doing.What if I break the rod am I now screwed or does the builder fix it for free.
Some of you have custom rods I would like to hear some points of view.
Thanks

Tagger
09-22-2008, 03:29 AM
Its nice to fish with nice stuff ,,but you don't need it to catch fish . Sounds like you like the rod you have ..

BassDawg
09-22-2008, 03:47 AM
how's about a G Loomis??
if they make glass surfrods, pretty sure they do?
guaranteed for LIFE,,,,,,,,,,,,you break it, they ship ya another one!!

if i had invested the amount of money that i've spent on
a Wallyworld, a BassPro, and a TICA; then i could've had the Loomis.

live and learn,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hopefully Santa will briing me one for Christmas!!
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Raven
09-22-2008, 04:56 AM
the feel of a subtle take...

or the power you feel in the rod when battling a good sized fish....

if your looking for prestige then pay the price....
but why a two piece.... :huh:

analyze your spending ....maybe you could give up
some coffee's or other non essentials and fill that Rod fund (piggy bank) quicker than you think...

BigFish
09-22-2008, 05:28 AM
I love my 1 piece custom Lami's!:love:

numbskull
09-22-2008, 05:59 AM
A rod is a tool and using well made tools is a pleasure in itself. You hold a rod for hundreds of hours a year, and make thousands of casts. Finding the one that feels best to you and that you enjoy the most is worth the trouble and expense. Unfortunately it never stops at just one.

maddog2020
09-22-2008, 06:12 AM
Bottom line is buying top end gear isn't going to make you a better fisherman. It comes down to your knowledge and time spent on the water fishing. Plenty of guys toting cheap outfits holding them upside down that catch much more fish with bait than I do casting plugs!

I have a tendancy to play with gear a lot more than most people do because of my current lack of ability to fish. Now a days, I'm craving sleep more than anything else. Stress is really getting to me unfortunately. :(

Many of the current production rods offer a HUGE bang for the dollar! Majority of those rods come out of China - they are assembled fine and have pretty nice fit and finish now.

The largest advantage of a custom over a std factory rod is how it fits your body IMHO. If you are much taller you crave a longer butt end. If you are shorter (like myself) then you want the butt end an inch OR three shorter .... lol.
Downside to most factory rods is you many not be getting your full benefits from your rod, reel and line combination in terms of distance. Reality is the fish are much closer to shore in the dark so there really isn't always a big need for that extra distance. Some circumstances if you are on shore and can' get out farther and you know you need to clear 140 yrs or else you won't get a bit then you need all you can get. ;)

One of the nicest production rods out there right now for the $ are the Lamiglas Super Surfs - underwrapped Fuji Alconite Guides, designed to be fished with super braids. M&D's (mikecc) had some on sale early Spring for under $300. I don't like the guide lay out on any of the other Lamiglas surf rods personally - for that kind of $, they better give me better guides and add a guide on the layout of the rod. (yeah, I've said this more than once, but WTF do I know :P).
Most of those Surf and Jetty (solid line of durable blanks as a whole, handles are way too long for me) Lamiglas rods are in the mid/upper $200 range.

You can always watch the buy/sell/trade board here and nice custom rods pass thru for reasonable $. :)

Joe
09-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Not worth it for a 2-piece. Expecting a builder to fix a two-piece rod for free is expecting too much.
Get a roof rack and save up for a one-piece.

doc
09-22-2008, 07:34 AM
i love my 2-piece lamiglas ron arra ...although i just snapped it i half this weekend and sent it back to lamiglass - hopefully they will replace it...totally love the rod...using a fenwick as backup right now and it is a big step back...

maddog2020
09-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Good point, Joe.

Blanks are covered against breakage/defects from mfg - IF the blanks has never been cut down. Custom builder has to eat his labor on the rod and some components, too. Some builders factor that into their costs. ;)

Unfortunately if you snap the top of an 2 pc rod - it isn't as simple as getting a new top very easily. Tops are fitted to bottoms and there are some variations.

I haven't had to deal with rod warranty on factory rod yet. I popped out the guide to my St Croix Premier 8.5-2pc a month after I had it - I superglued the ring back in and it has been that way for a couple of yrs or more. I could re-wrap it, but won't bother until it breaks again. I have plenty of other rods to use as back ups.

About 24 yrs back my Dad slammed his trunk on the middle of my brown fiberglass Fenwick PLS65 and I sent it back and then sent me a brand new one. :) Not sure how they are now ..... lol. Same deal w/ HMG spinner - tip snapped off and they gave me a new rod. Downside was they were newer models and I liked the older designs better.

bart
09-22-2008, 08:27 AM
how's about a G Loomis??

even though i prefer 1 piece rods, i would have to agree with Jess on this. G Loomis makes a 2piece 10'6" rod that's really nice. i think 5/0 fishes one and likes it a lot. i have a 9ft 1084(1 piece) that is my back-up rod and i absolutely love the thing. that rod has taken many a beating and still performs extremely well. IMO you can't go wrong with a Loomis. and they do have a really good warranty.

ilovetwofish
09-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the info.
I do like the rod I have now it's got enough backbone for a large fish,it cast pretty good not that I need to cast to far except certain areas and situations.The rod is kind of heavy after awhile, and I do have smaller and lighter rods.I checked out a couple of the gloomis and lamiglass rods they are both very nice.So the gloomis are warantied for life?
I have a truck and bring my fishing gear with me every were when i'm traveling for work and need to be able to put it in the cab of my truck, some of the areas I work are not very safe and thats why I need a 2 piece.I wouldn't be purchasing a new rod till winter. I just can't afford one right now with the price of gas and the traveling I do, mostly traveling for fishing.
Thanks again for the info

Mike P
09-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Loomis' warranty is really an insurance policy with a $50 deductible. They will replace any broken rod, without regard for what caused it to break, for $50. Overnight, no questions asked. You pay for some of this up front with the co$t of a Loomis rod, the rest when you return it. Catch the tip in your liftgate? No problem, they'll replace it for $50.

On the other hand, if the rod breaks due to a defect, it sucks to have to pay a dime. But it's a sure thing and you don't have to sweat having someone judge whether you or they were at fault.

On the whole, though, people seem to love the Loomis warranty.

Tagger
09-22-2008, 03:39 PM
I fish 2 pc. alot for the same reasons you mentioned .. If your fishing after work or before ,,You can't leave a one piece custom on top of your car and not worry all day some one is sawing your roof racks off .. some 2 pc. I use are .. Factory Lami Tri Flex spinning and a conv. I had made .. Light duty a Breakaway 1145 .. kick arse conv. plug caster Cono Flex Barracuda Thief ..,,,, 2 pc. can cut the mustard and stay out of sight ..

NIB
09-22-2008, 06:13 PM
My custom arra reminds me of my girlfriend..They have both been with me a long time,had some great times together,cost me lots of money,and smell like fish..
:love:

Adam_777
09-22-2008, 07:45 PM
I have two loomis surf rods 1266 and 1264.If you want to try them out let me know I'll meet up with you and you can hang a reel and cast until the cows come home.I have a 2 piece custom honey Lami that is one of the sweetest rods and one of the last blanks of it's type.It sits backseat to the Loomis rods for now.

wheresmy50
09-23-2008, 12:48 AM
I have a 1084 and 2 pc 10' med heavy from Lamiglass . . . and I still fish my 9'
2-6 oz tica most often.

I dropped one last year in a fish panic and broke a guide. $70 later, I had a new 9' 2-6 oz tica.

I can take a spare with me on trips and have 2 identical rods, so if I drop one and break a guide, I just switch to the spare.

I've only striped bass fished for about 5 years, but I've fished all my life. To be honest, I can't really tell a difference. The 10' 2 pc Lami is pretty light - if memory serves about 11 oz compared to 14 oz for a 10' st croix that I own that's not rated for as much as the Lami. In fact, I won't fish braid on it because I'm afraid the walls are too thin and it's going to snap.

If you want to pay a premium for the name and "Made in the USA", you're going to get a really nice rod, but the differnce in quality isn't proportional to the difference in price, in my opinion.