View Full Version : spooks question

stripercrazy
09-22-2008, 07:24 AM
question on the rear hook.....I replaced the rear treble with a swash hook(single) and the action didn't change badly, or much at all....the blues still got messed up from the frount treble.....I didn't put no dressing on the hook.....I'm wondering if you guys change the rear hooks to singles in bluefishville and what your thoughts were on the change.... a single swash don't look as good as a treble... maybe look better with a really sparce bucktail...probly just because I don't see alot of plugs with bare swashes on the tail...thanks ed

numbskull
09-22-2008, 12:06 PM
question on the rear hook.....I replaced the rear treble with a swash hook(single) and the action didn't change badly, or much at all....the blues still got messed up from the frount treble.....I didn't put no dressing on the hook.....I'm wondering if you guys change the rear hooks to singles in bluefishville and what your thoughts were on the change.... a single swash don't look as good as a treble... maybe look better with a really sparce bucktail...probly just because I don't see alot of plugs with bare swashes on the tail...thanks ed

As long as it makes a splash, bluefish won't care. If you are after bass, messing the balance of the plug and going with a tail hook only will reduce your success most of the time.

justplugit
09-22-2008, 06:52 PM
If you are after bass, messing the balance of the plug and going with a tail hook only will reduce your success most of the time.

Found the same thing by removing the belly hook on a polaris popper type as it was causing too much damage to the bass.

Just wouldn't make that popping noise, hits and follows fell off a cliff. :(

numbskull
09-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Found the same thing by removing the belly hook on a polaris popper type as it was causing too much damage to the bass.

Just wouldn't make that popping noise, hits and follows fell off a cliff. :(

More importantly, bass usually take a plug from below and in front. They lack chopping teeth so they prefer to inhale their prey head first. The tail hook usually only gets the fish that miss the plug, or you. Without a belly hook (unless the plug is quite small) you will miss many bass.

stripercrazy
09-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I kept the frount hook on and just switched the back to a swash...I may try a swash on the frount tarpon style...I been building spooks/center drilled with no weight in the belly...there just tail weighted...they got great action...I noticeing there on there sides sometimes glideing...the pogys are 1/2 dead here in prov, swimming in circles...but I've seen the blues hit the spook and not get the hooks..I wondered if its because the spooks got roll,I feel bad for the blues,,,there all messed up from the hooks if they look ok I throw them back, if there all ripped up I generally give it to the people who will eat them...has anyone noticed less hook ups with the swash hooks on spooks tail? thanks ed

justplugit
09-23-2008, 08:45 AM
I kept the frount hook on and just switched the back to a swash...I may try a swash on the frount tarpon style...I been building spooks/center drilled with no weight in the belly...there just tail weighted...they got great action...I noticeing there on there sides sometimes glideing...the pogys are 1/2 dead here in prov, swimming in circles...but I've seen the blues hit the spook and not get the hooks..I wondered if its because the spooks got roll,I feel bad for the blues,,,there all messed up from the hooks if they look ok I throw them back, if there all ripped up I generally give it to the people who will eat them...has anyone noticed less hook ups with the swash hooks on spooks tail? thanks ed

Like George said, bass will hit head first while blues will come up from behind and hit the tail most times and a siwash is enough for the them.

You do get less hook ups on a siwash but alot easier to remove the hook when they inhale the plug into the gullet.

Pinch down the barbs on all hooks, may have a few more drops, but alot less damage to the fish and much better for you if you get hooked.