View Full Version : Cutting down the Tip of my rod

BassyiusMaximus
09-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Related to the " . . . cutting down the butt . . . " of a rod, I'm debating and have been, cutting down the tip of one of my 7' Ugly Stick casting rods and here is why.

Many years ago, while setting the hook on a fish, my Dad had one of my 7' Ugly Sticks break 3 guides down from the tip, I buy about everything in pairs since I almost always have at least one other person fishing with me and to also have as a backup, I'm sure many of us might do this. I had since put a new tip on and have been using it as a bottom fishing rod ever since. It has been everyones favorite bottom fishing rod as it is oh-so light, and sensitive and when into a fish, it still flexes a bit. It is also my favorite bottom fishing rod as it is so light and sensitive yet strong, even when jigging 21 oz jigs 200'+ for cod, Here is my quasi-dilemma;

I have 4 - 7' inshore rods with 40-series reels for casting, along with 2 more 7' Penn Slammer casting rods with a slow taper. The 4 inshore rods are great and much better for casting and the 2-Penn Slammers, while much heavier, are still decent back up casting rods, so I already have a great quiver of sticks with which to cast with. What I think I'm finally going to do is just cut the tip of the other Ugly Stick to make an identical bottom fishing rod as I bought a spare tip the other day when the one I originally had on it had the ceramic insert come out of the metal frame. The new tip is solid metal so no more worries about that and I think all he strain of bottom fishing/jigging with braid was not all that good for that tip with the ceramic insert. Here is a pic of my 6 YO nephew on a fish and the rod;

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/thundra04struck/Tylerbattling.jpg

How should I go about cutting the tip? Masking tape, razor blade all the way around then hack?

BigBo
09-22-2008, 12:53 PM
I've done it with masking tape wrapped very tightly and a coping saw. The coping saw has a fine tooth blade that won't splinter the rod if you take your time and go slow.
Then just glue a new tip on.