View Full Version : Canal comment and Question

JamesJet
09-22-2008, 09:58 PM
I'll start off saying I am new to the CCC game but over the past two years I have tried to fish it when I can and try different things. I fished last night from 730 till about 11 at a mid canal location. The end of the west tide (from Scusset to Maritime?) had fish active on top and then it died at slack. On change in the tide I did not notice anything top and changed area. I jigged a 3 oz black RonZ in a rip that had never produced for me but always looked soooo good. Wham! I was on to what felt like my biggest canal fish ever as my Canal PB was about 36 inches. By the time I get it in I realize it was a large bluefish somewhere over 10 lbs for sure. I ended it on that note and headed to the car as I had work today. It is really satisfying when you really feel like your jig finally is doing what you want it to and you really have a feel for it.

My question is when the bass are slurping at night what do you throw??
I had moderate success with a 6 inch soft plastic but not what I thought I should have given the activity.

rickhern
09-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Try a 6" bomber or small rebel and fish it SLOWWWWWW(like just about dead drifting!) It is tough to reel that slow, but when you get the hang of it, you will start catching. Color doesn't seem to matter much as long as it's wonderbread.

Rob Rockcrawler
09-23-2008, 07:37 AM
If they are slurping i like to drift eels, actually i like to do it all the time slurping or not.

CanalGuy
09-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Pogies! :humpty:

Slipknot
09-24-2008, 09:23 AM
try swimming a Point Jude tin for those times
the hits will be wicked

zimmy
09-24-2008, 09:30 AM
if they are on top, they are of often underneath, so I at least give jigs and plastics a good try. If they are in close enough a red fin, slugo or something like that...

bssb
09-24-2008, 12:00 PM
I fished the canal last night for the first time. fish were breaking the surface everywhere! you think I could catch one? not a chance. I tried pop'n, jigg'n, floating chunks, sinking chunks(pogy and mackrel). I guess I should have had eels. better luck next time. well I suck, so maybe not

beaver
09-24-2008, 12:05 PM
If the fish are slurping at night I like to use soft plastics. Slug gos and hogys will work but I like Striper Magnets by Bill Hurley. I use either 8 or 10 in and prefer the pearlish color even at night. I've had great success in the canal and around the islands with these, and they will often produce when topwaters like pencils and spooks don't. Sacrifice distance and really need to downside to about an 8 foot med. rod, but I find this method will often catch when nothing else is.

Bocephus
09-24-2008, 05:15 PM
dont worry BSSB, youre not alone all fish and no hits is quite discouraging, but it only makes me more determined to stick to it and stick one

NIB
09-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Unless them slurping fish sound like volkswagens dropping out of the sky I ignore em..Especially at night..
The fish I target live in the depths of the current..
And I don't drive 300 miles up there to catch little ones..

stiff tip
09-25-2008, 10:25 AM
i gotta ask ,where r u hearing slurpin bass @ the canal ???? east or west end . most slurpies r sm fish , in large schools, feeding on worms or crill hatch or p bunker...realy must match the hatch ......

bloocrab
09-25-2008, 10:58 AM
If you just want action and not size, tie on a Yozuri Mag Darter....swim it slow with an occasional pull for increased wigglyness. As stated, those fish for the most part...aren't going home with you, they aren't old enough yet....and I disagree with the others...if the fish you're talking about are the ones that are hugging the rocky edge at night, there ain't much below em. It can be fun, but if you're targeting larger fish, do your best to ignore them. :wall:

bssb
09-25-2008, 04:52 PM
I hear ya canal mike. I'm going to my usual spot tonight. and yes bloocrab, they were the ones swimming the edge of the rocks on the bank. around 5-6 foot depth from what I could tell. but it was getting late( or early?) and was just wanted to feel a little action on my pole. it's been a while

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.
Steven Wright

JamesJet
09-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks for all the help. The one I did catch from the general slurp/splash area was a small guy but its tough to walk away from those splashes. I tried the mag darter as its a favorite of mine and not just for small fish but no luck. God advice to walk away and fish deeper in the rips than waste time on small guys. Like some have said though confidence comes with numbers of smaller fish though and as a fairly new canal angler it does help. That big bluefish really made me think I am at least doing something right.

bloocrab
09-25-2008, 09:03 PM
....walk away,,,,,,

That's why I put the :wall: at the end the sentence........tough to leave fish to try and go find fish,,,, for me anways, but obviously we all fish for different reasons.