View Full Version : windknots/vs 150

eskimo
09-23-2008, 12:39 PM
This might have been a topic before but it didn't come up in my search. Almost every time I throw a pencil or popper with my vs150 I get wind knots. I'm using 50lb PP which is great for everything else except top water. The knots always end up in the first 10yds.

Does anybody else run into this problem? If so whats your solution?

luds
09-23-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't have any problems using 30# suffix on my 150.

Nebe
09-23-2008, 01:31 PM
It happens because your working your rod to give the pencil action and your reeling in line under slack, which fills the spool loosely. Then when you cast, because the spool is filled loosely, the line will pull out a loop or too then snarl...

If you really want to avoid it, hold the line between your hand and the rod when your retrieving, so that your reeling in under tension..

eskimo
09-23-2008, 02:16 PM
True, I can actually see it spool loosely (line that's not laying on the line under it). I tried to work it with less action so it would lay on the spool better but it only cut down the amount of wind knots, still get em though.

do you hold the braid under all your fingers? say half way down from the first guide?

thanks for the help!

Nebe
09-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Yes, i will actually wrap my whole hand around the line and squeeze it against the rod. .the harder your grip, the harder the tension and vise versa-

if you ever use needlefish on a calm night you will have this problem as well..

eskimo
09-23-2008, 03:14 PM
I will give it a go.

I throw needles almost every night with no problems, seems that the 3oz needle will pick up the slack a little faster then a 2oz pencil.

if I start running into the same problem with needles I will have to try the same thing.

thanks for the help NEBE

late-start
09-23-2008, 03:24 PM
i found that I have had windknots with my 150 but never with my 200. Can't explain it....

Sea Dangles
09-23-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't own the 150 any longer but I simply extend the index finger and let it lap at the line as I retrieve anything. It's a habit that seems to add enough tension to avoid trouble.

hardbait
09-23-2008, 09:15 PM
i have the vsb150 and have no problems with wind knots. i use 50# suffix and fish pencils alot. i wonder if the bail makes a difference?

ivanputski
09-23-2008, 09:27 PM
not a good thing to hear, since I am considering buying my first van staal... a 150, and I fish 50# power pro... I currently never get wind knots... Side note... how many of you used to call them wind knots as in "windy day/wind" and not knots you get while winding the line on...my friend still thinks the snarls are caused by high wind regardless of what i tell him.

eskimo
09-23-2008, 10:01 PM
i have the vsb150 and have no problems with wind knots. i use 50# suffix and fish pencils alot. i wonder if the bail makes a difference?

I think the bail does make a difference. seems to have a lot more slack with with the bailless version.

eskimo
09-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Nebe, tried it out tonight and it worked great. got use to it two minutes later. thanks for the advice.