View Full Version : jaywalkers and pedestrian crossings

Pete_G
09-24-2008, 06:53 PM
If it wasn’t for ABS and polarized sunglasses natural selection would have finally had its way with one of you bastards tonight. You’ve really been testing me this year.

What part of the situation made you think crossing the intersection was a good idea? The flashing sign that said don’t walk? The green light I had as I approached the intersection? The fact I was dealing with the setting sun in my eyes? The way you were hiding behind that truck taking a left? Don’t worry, I love nearly getting rear-ended and screeching to a halt to avoid killing you. Go for it. Cross the intersection. Nobody cares. Yes, it’s just a small VW going down the road but I guarantee if I hit you I’m going to win.

Other then the guilt from doing bodily harm or killing you and obvious potential legal consequences I really just want to hit one of you. Maybe you and people like you would learn a lesson and think twice in the future and it would help stop the plague of jaywalkers and people that can’t read that I swear gets worse every week around here.

While I’m at it, people who stand at a pedestrian crossing, make me stop both in the name of doing the right thing and the law, and then wave me on since they are apparently just loitering there, also deserve to be run over. You’re a waste of brake pads and expensive gasoline.

FishermanTim
09-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Unless there are witnesses to the contrary (and hopefully it wasn't done in malice) you're claim, provided you weren't speeding, will be "They darted out from behind another vehicle right in front of me, giving me NO chance to stop in time." Although you would probably be found at fault, you could appeal, and with proper photographic evidence (show exactly where they crossed the road) you should win.
The saying the pedestrians have the "right of way" pertains to those that are crossing in "designated areas" and are using common sense when crossing.
Jaywalkers are breaking the law, have no common sense and lose their "right of way" distinction.
I'd try to avoid any "contact" with these mental defectives, as they could really damage your vehicle.

Backbeach Jake
09-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Those damned "stop for pedestrian" signs have made drivers into super humans. We can see all and read minds. Folks can just stroll out into traffic without a care in the world, don't even to look to see if a car is coming, the sign says so. All the friggin sign does is shift liability to the driver, the ped doesn't even have to look one way much less both. I can't tell you how many times I've locked them up because the strolling dufus didn't even break stride. And then there's the grommet who walks out into the middle of a traffic clusterama and expects everyone to notice. help me...

justplugit
09-29-2008, 06:56 PM
The saying the pedestrians have the "right of way" pertains to those that are crossing in "designated areas" and are using common sense when crossing.

Ya, don't mind them,but the ones who are too lazy to walk the extra 20 feet to the designated area are the one's that tick me off. :mad:

Pete_G
09-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Unless there are witnesses to the contrary (and hopefully it wasn't done in malice) you're claim, provided you weren't speeding, will be "They darted out from behind another vehicle right in front of me, giving me NO chance to stop in time." Although you would probably be found at fault, you could appeal, and with proper photographic evidence (show exactly where they crossed the road) you should win.

By "win" I mostly meant said idiot will be nothing more then a grease spot in the road. :tm: Not so much the legal end of it. :hihi: But you're right, you'd be in a world of legal trouble thanks to somebody's lack of common sense.

Dad 818
09-30-2008, 10:50 AM
There was a pedestrian struck right down the street from my house last night. Don't know the details of it. As I was coming home from work last night I saw the rescue go by me, then all the flashing lights at the intersection of my street.

Pete, were you in Cranston last night?? :hidin:

Pete_G
09-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Pete, were you in Cranston last night?? :hidin:

:devil2:

I was in my home territory last night, trying not to run over any tourists. It wasn't me. :laugha: