View Full Version : Congrats, Striper Cup

inTHERAPY
09-25-2008, 12:41 PM
A sincere congrats to leading teams in the Cup this year. We saw some remarkable fishing (fishermen) this year. I know that we on Linsider put forth a huge effort, as always, and failed to land even a 50 this year. Great job teams and to OTW. Art
ps I would like to thank you shore guys for big catches. OTW is going to give the boat guys 1.2 next year. lol

Back Beach
09-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Was a blast as always. I'm looking forward to the banquet. On a related note, there were a couple guys busted for selling illegal fish in RI. Wondering if its the same guy who was on the winning team?

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=4ce7d8c8-a91f-4eab-a47f-d8275843b776

RIROCKHOUND
09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
So it would appear...

FishTwoO
09-25-2008, 02:06 PM
If it is they should disqualify him from this tournament and others in the future.Sad to say he's only one of many.

RIJIMMY
09-25-2008, 02:22 PM
team S-B with all shore fish. You guys are truly amazing and its nice to know such top notch fishermen. I was hoping to contribute but never topped 29lbs.

BatesBCheatin
09-25-2008, 02:27 PM
If it is they should disqualify him from this tournament and others in the future.Sad to say he's only one of many.

Hopefully these others get ratted out to the authorities as well. I know I wouldn't hesitate. :rocketem:

JohnR
09-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Art - Great Job by L,B&B too :btu:

Interesting dilemma for OTW WRT what to do with that guy that got busted with the fish (if it is the same guy - same name anyway - looks like it could be). Getting busted for illegally selling bass and scup (see if he gets found guilty in a court) certainly qualifies as an "Unsportsman Like Manner" but it also does not appear to be in the time frame of the Tourney, just the day after it ended :deadhorse:

FishTwoO
09-25-2008, 03:10 PM
The article says he had 42 fish iced down.Even though it was the day after some of those fish had to be caught during the time frame of the Cup. I would boot him just on principle.He's probably one of the SOB's that's been pilaging the area from Watch Hill to Valiant Rock when the Mass. commercial season is open.

Mike P
09-25-2008, 03:21 PM
They set a precedent with Bill Major two years ago. Bill had what, 3-4 fish, and he was jumping the season by a matter of hours. Bill had two keys to the truck in his pocket at the time, for May and June of 2006.

This guy had 42 fish, two weeks after the Mass commercial season ended.

It's not going to hurt his team, as I believe Sea Dangles has another quality fish, and with the shore bonus, it might only cost Team Striper a point or two.

But Bradshaw needs to be DQd and banned next year--anything less gives Bill Major a "major" beef.

JohnR
09-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Unless something drastic happened Team Striper has enough points to roll this out. They do, we don't.

Is a two year ban enough? Permanent? If the allegations (and pictures, and police log) are true, should these be permanent bans? We're not talking about cheating here, we're talking about breaking the law.

Mike P
09-26-2008, 06:48 AM
They disqualified Bill Major, and his "crime" was that he had a handful of fish in the box about 2 hours before the formal opening of commercial season.

I'm sure that Team Striper's 11th place fish is close to, if not over 50. Knocking his fish off the board will deduct 2-3 points, at most.

Of course, a certain state trooper who is currently in the news made Major a "major" internet villain by posting how evil he was on every internet fishing site on the east coast, whereas this isn't getting any attention except in this thread. So OTW can decide this without being in the spotlight.

Then again, he didn't try to enter any of those fish in the tournament, so........:huh:

FishTwoO
09-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Permanent ban.Maybe he'll roll and squeal on his buddies who are doing basically the same thing.

Clogston29
09-26-2008, 07:25 AM
OTW got somewhat lucky here, IMO. He didn't win anything too major (2nd place weekly, 8th place on his team). The team will still win so DQ'ing him won't cause any real outcry there. And a 2nd place weekly is only $100 boater's world gift card, so I doubt anyone would make too much noise about losing that. If he had won a monthly, or his fish was the difference in Team Striper finishing 1st or 2nd, it would be a much bigger deal. Seams like he has bigger issues to worry about right now than a boater's world gift card.

JohnR
09-26-2008, 07:47 AM
They disqualified Bill Major, and his "crime" was that he had a handful of fish in the box about 2 hours before the formal opening of commercial season.

I'm sure that Team Striper's 11th place fish is close to, if not over 50. Knocking his fish off the board will deduct 2-3 points, at most.

Of course, a certain state trooper who is currently in the news made Major a "major" internet villain by posting how evil he was on every internet fishing site on the east coast, whereas this isn't getting any attention except in this thread. So OTW can decide this without being in the spotlight.

Then again, he didn't try to enter any of those fish in the tournament, so........:huh:

Forgot about that little fact. Yes, this will likely have zero impact on the Cup final.

Permanent ban.Maybe he'll roll and squeal on his buddies who are doing basically the same thing.

Interesting point but I don't think there is anything concrete that would suggest that. Though I don't think this is the place to further rumor like that.

OTW got somewhat lucky here, IMO. He didn't win anything too major (2nd place weekly, 8th place on his team). The team will still win so DQ'ing him won't cause any real outcry there. And a 2nd place weekly is only $100 boater's world gift card, so I doubt anyone would make too much noise about losing that. If he had won a monthly, or his fish was the difference in Team Striper finishing 1st or 2nd, it would be a much bigger deal. Seams like he has bigger issues to worry about right now than a boater's world gift card.

Agreed

FishTwoO
09-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Sorry John,You're right but these guys frost me.

Sea Dangles
09-26-2008, 10:13 AM
As far as I know; it is NOT illegal to possess 25 fish in the state of CT. If they were attained illegally that would be a different story. To get a decent case they would have had to nab him in the act. Look for this to blow over much the same way the case against the Clinton harbor guys did a couple years ago who were caught transporting fish to MA.They got off with a slap on the wrist. Weak job by DEM as usual

JohnR
09-26-2008, 01:31 PM
As far as I know; it is NOT illegal to possess 25 fish in the state of CT. If they were attained illegally that would be a different story. To get a decent case they would have had to nab him in the act.

There is not any state in range of his dock/boat/house that would allow for 42 bass, of any size, for him to be in possession of these striped bass.

Can you think of a legal reason to possess 42 Bass?

CT's regulations
26-159a-2. Striped bass (Morone saxatilis)
(a) The minimum legal length and daily creel limit for striped bass shall be as specified in
sections 26-159a-4 and 26-159a-7, respectively, of the Regulations of Connecticut State
Agencies.
(b) No person shall sell, exchange, or offer for sale or exchange any striped bass taken from
the waters of this state. Striped bass taken from the waters of a state in which commercial
striped bass fishing is allowed may only be possessed for commercial purposes in
Connecticut provided they meet the minimum length specified in section 26-159a-4 of
the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies and each fish is affixed with that state's
valid, current commercial striped bass tag.
(c) No person shall possess, sell, exchange, or offer for sale or exchange any striped bass,
regardless where taken, less than the minimum length, except that artificially reared
hybrid striped bass (one parent Morone saxatilis) which are less than the minimum
length, may be possessed and sold under the following conditions:
(1) such fish, when offered for sale, shall be accompanied by documentation
showing that such fish were propagated in a licensed commercial fish hatchery;
and
(2) such documentation shall include the name and address of the owner of the
hatchery of origin, the number and description of fish received in the current
shipment, and the shipping date and date of receipt of the current shipment.
(d) Striped bass shall not be taken except by angling and the use of a gaff in the taking of
striped bass is prohibited.
(e) Any striped bass taken contrary to the provisions of this section shall, without avoidable
injury, be returned immediately to the waters from which taken, provided that
notwithstanding the provisions of sections 26-159a-4 and 26-159a-7 of the Regulations of
Connecticut State Agencies, anglers participating in a tagging program approved by the
Commissioner of Environmental Protection may apply tags to and release striped bass
sixteen inches or greater in total length.
(f) The provisions of this section shall not be construed to restrict the number of legally
acquired fish that may be kept in storage in the home or other storage facilities.
(g) No person shall land or possess on the waters of this state or on any parcel of land,
structure, or portion of a roadway abutting tidal waters of this state any striped bass from
26-159a - Commercial and Sport Fishing In the Marine District Revised 04.04.2008
Department of Environmental Protection 3
which the head or tail has been removed or which has otherwise been rendered
unidentifiable as a striped bass or unable to be measured.
Effective July 26, 1996. Amended; 05/9/2000 by emergency regulation to implement slot
limit for private recreational anglers and modified two fish possession limit for anglers on
P/C vessels; expired 01/04/2001, rule reverted to 2 @ 28” until final regulation adopted.
Final regulation adopted 02/27/2001. Amended 12/272006 reduced dealer tagging
requirements, authorized tagging programs.(a) No person, while on the waters of this state or on any parcel of land, structure, or portion
of a roadway abutting tidal waters of this state shall possess or land any fish of the
following species taken by sport fishing methods, regardless of where taken, if it is less
than the identified length as measured from the tip of the snout to the end of the tail:...

...(13) Striped bass (Morone saxatilis): 28 inches.26-159a-7. Creel limits...
(a) Unless otherwise specified in section 26-112-45 of the Regulations of Connecticut State
Agencies, the daily creel limit for species taken by sport fishing methods, including
spears of any kind, shall be as set forth in this subsection. No person, other than a person
authorized to take finfish under a license or registration issued pursuant to section 26-
142a of the Connecticut General Statutes, while on the waters of this state or on any
parcel of land, structure, or portion of a roadway abutting tidal waters of this state shall
possess or land any of the following species, regardless of where taken, in excess of the
identified number.

....(13) Striped bass (Morone saxatilis): 2 fish.BTW - I am not insinuating that there was cheating by other members on your team. Take this guys fish out and it still looks like you guys win by a comfortable margin. He, however, should be thrown out of the tourney