View Full Version : Van Stall Question

joe the plumber
09-27-2008, 03:05 PM
I have a VS 200 which I love.I do have one minor complaint and would appreciate some feedback.
I am not comfortable with the small knob on the handle of this reel.In fact I would like to take the reel to a machine shop this winter and have the rubber T-handle from a 704 installed on it.
My question.Does VS offer other handle options.Thanks.

vanstaal
09-27-2008, 03:17 PM
you can get the oval handle if you call VS I find the same thing a few of my friends did it :fishin:

joe the plumber
09-27-2008, 03:33 PM
you can get the oval handle if you call VS I find the same thing a few of my friends did it :fishin:

Sounds good.That is what I will do.Thank you,very much.Joe

emgred
09-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Is that the 275 handle? Anyone know the cost?

joe the plumber
09-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Is that the 275 handle? Anyone know the cost?

Just got off the website,and I believe it is.I'm sure its not cheap.I'll be calling Rivers End for a price and instructions of how to get it done.

Sea Dangles
09-27-2008, 04:02 PM
It will be a good chunk of change, I would close my eyes and get to know your current handle better than you know yourself. My 200 was singing last night and the handle felt right.

Striper
09-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Joe do you have the VS 200N?

joe the plumber
09-27-2008, 04:35 PM
It will be a good chunk of change, I would close my eyes and get to know your current handle better than you know yourself. My 200 was singing last night and the handle felt right.

Your probably right but that is precisely my problem.I am finding that if the action gets hot'n'heavy and I havn't rinsed my hands,it slips off during a fight.I've also had my hand cramp up around that dam little knob,especially when fighting those dam blues.I do ENJOY these kinds of problems.

joe the plumber
09-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Joe do you have the VS 200N?

Please pardon me but I do not know what the 200n is.I assume it is the model with a bail? Mine is the standard with a roller.

pbadad
09-27-2008, 06:21 PM
i added shinkwrap over mine. Added that textured feel. You can also wrap dacron line around the knob , in and out the openings to add substance then schrink wrap over. Cheap modification.

ivanputski
09-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Kindof sucks that a 700 dollar reel has to be modified and serviced every year... Im starting to think that if I sent my quantum cabo to the factory once a year for service, it would last me years and years as well... Just picked up a 200VS and honestly, the reality did not live up to the hype when it comes to the drag... quantum cabo is the smoothest drag ever... Im torn in what is becoming buyers remorse... and it has nothing to do with getting used to no bail... I love that part... its the paying 50 dollars a year to service a reel that you buy because its supposed to be maintenance free... you get me?

GattaFish
09-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Your probably right but that is precisely my problem.I am finding that if the action gets hot'n'heavy and I havn't rinsed my hands,it slips off during a fight.I've also had my hand cramp up around that dam little knob,especially when fighting those dam blues.I do ENJOY these kinds of problems.

Blues?? Thats not what I saw you catch,,,,,:shocked::shocked:

joe the plumber
09-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Blues?? Thats not what I saw you catch,,,,,:shocked::shocked:

shush.... See ya next week Tom.

ProfessorM
09-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Send me a Pm after the fish are gone and I will see what I can do for you if you wish to modify something

joe the plumber
09-27-2008, 07:16 PM
i added shinkwrap over mine. Added that textured feel. You can also wrap dacron line around the knob , in and out the openings to add substance then schrink wrap over. Cheap modification.

Thats a great idea! I really like the idea about the dacron.I'll still call Pat but I think I might try that.Thank you very much.

GattaFish
09-27-2008, 07:18 PM
shush.... See ya next week Tom.

Joe,,,, Don't worry I am not going to tell everyone all you caught was a couple Scup on that Van Staal....:hidin:

joe the plumber
09-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Kindof sucks that a 700 dollar reel has to be modified and serviced every year... Im starting to think that if I sent my quantum cabo to the factory once a year for service, it would last me years and years as well... Just picked up a 200VS and honestly, the reality did not live up to the hype when it comes to the drag... quantum cabo is the smoothest drag ever... Im torn in what is becoming buyers remorse... and it has nothing to do with getting used to no bail... I love that part... its the paying 50 dollars a year to service a reel that you buy because its supposed to be maintenance free... you get me?

Yeah I do but, I'll tell you this.I did that Cabo thing.Great reel but I use my rod as a wading staff.I tried to keep it clean[the Cabo] and lubed but it siezed up.I agree it does have a smooth drag,its just a great reel but not up to the task as far as constant dunking.
I equate the VS reels to anything high end.You pay premium money to own it and maintain it.Just the way it is.

Mike P
09-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Kindof sucks that a 700 dollar reel has to be modified and serviced every year...

You don't have to do either one. New Van Staals only come with a one year warranty, so sending it back isn't required to keep a lifetime warranty in effect, and it's not that hard to service it yourself, if it ever needs to be serviced.

My handle works fine for me--has worked fine for 8 years. And so has the reel which has seen "infrequent" service, and that's putting it mildly.

Besides--there is no such thing as a "maintenence-free" mechanical device that has moving parts. If a $700 reel only "needs" to be serviced once a year (which it really doesn't), consider that one to be maintenence free. Most $200 reels have to be serviced 2-3 times a season.

joe the plumber
09-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Send me a Pm after the fish are gone and I will see what I can do for you if you wish to modify something

Thank you. On another note.What do you think,will we get our music forum?

Sea Dangles
09-27-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't send it in or rinse it off. I just fish it. Redlite has no lube in his VS,it sounds like a cheese grater on acid. But the drag seems to work for the rats he catches.

ProfessorM
09-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes, but after the fish are gone as i think the boss is fishing.

GattaFish
09-27-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't send it in or rinse it off. I just fish it. Redlite has no lube in his VS,it sounds like a cheese grater on acid. But the drag seems to work for the rats he catches.

I just had my anti-reverse bearing go,,,, Took it to Rivers End and it was fixed while I waited,,, Hows that for turn-around time,,,

That was the first service in three years,,,

saltyric
10-23-2008, 06:28 AM
I did the "cabo" thing as well.....a SUPER smooth drag, but after a year of fishing (rinsing after almost every outing) the anti reverse is shot and it is pitted / corroded pretty badly. I ended up dropping the cash for a VS200 which I am SUPER happy with. The funny part of the story - I go to striperfest and I am talking to craig (van staal guy) whose tent is next to quantum......I said "yeah I just pick up a VS 200, basically to replace the cabo. Which ended up being junk after a year (I may have used some other words)".......Craig then says "you do know Quantum (zebco) owns van staal right?"........OOOPPSS!!!!!
Any ways, he called the quantum rep over who acknowledged some issues with the older cabos and said send it on in, we'll replace it!. Good customer service anyhow.....