View Full Version : Breakaway Clip Question???

BigFish
09-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Was over Cuttyhunk last week and went to tie me some new leaders when I noticed 2 bags of the Breakaway Clips I bought this past spring looked wrong???!!!! Can anyone tell me is this a factory defect or have they changed their design??? I can tell you from the way these clips are designed/bent......I would not use these!!!??? Correct clip is on the left/incorrect clip is on the right.:confused:

mikecc
09-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Another shop in buzzards bay got stuck with a bunch of them.
I called Nick at breakaway and he said they did not change them. Possible fakes??

Pete F.
09-28-2008, 09:19 PM
I think that is a Backlash clip. I think that may be the one that Zeno tried.

Rob Rockcrawler
09-28-2008, 09:20 PM
I saw them somewhere also, had to scratch my head when i looked at em.

Brother Brian
09-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Looks like it would work the same except that it might pick up more weed.

BigFish
09-28-2008, 09:47 PM
No way...these things suck! They couldn't hold a plug on with super glue! In the trash they go!

Pete F.
09-28-2008, 09:54 PM
I think this is the clip, I never had any trouble with the original

Brother Brian
09-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Never used that style but I don't use anything other that breakaways.

BigFish
09-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Both the clips I pictured came in identical Breakaway Fast Link packaging! I don't know what the deal is but I do not like these "other" clips what ever they are! I also use nothing but Breakaway Fast Links Brian!:uhuh:

Bob Thomas
09-28-2008, 10:09 PM
I had the same thing....bought a bag of Breakaway's in the Breakaway bag but got those other clips. JUNK!!

BigFish
09-28-2008, 10:13 PM
So I guess the lesson is....take a close look at the bag when you purchase these!

gone fishin
09-28-2008, 10:40 PM
I just checked the three packages that I have. Two different sizes and all are OK. Larry, don't dump em return then to the shop you bought them from. They might want to know that they have duds.:wall:

BasicPatrick
09-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Hey Guys...I might be able to help out here.

The original Breakaway clips still have a 90 degree bend to the inside of the clip. these clips are fine but as we all know you can have trouble getting them on certain kinds of plugs etc. they were originally made for barell swivels in the bait fishign market. they also come in two sizes.

There is a second version/style of Breakaway clip that came out a year ago. IT is the one with the 90 degree bend going away from the clip or in the opposite direction. These clips loose a lot of plugs. This is the one Zeno was complainign about recently. I think the same clip is also marketed by a second company.

There is also a third clip which has been mentioned here, the One More Cast Clip sold by Backlash Sportfishgin. This clip comes in three sizes (not two like the others). The distinct feature on this clip is the bend is 22.5 degrees coming and fitsany stuyle plug without loosing strength. This is the clip being touted as having caught a few fish on the clip itself. I have been usuing these clips for about a year and will tell you they are by far and away better than the Breakaways. I know\, I know, but don;t knock it till you try it.

Brother Brian
09-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Patrick, are the clips you're using the ones in the attachment posted by bluefishercat?

SurffishNJ
09-29-2008, 09:12 AM
The clips with the 90* out turned arm are 100% Breakaway designed by Nick. These were designed for use in Nicks IMP bait rigs clip down system. They were never intended for plug fishing. The 90* arm was designed to allow for the plastic piece to rotate through the clip. Please don't use these for pluging they "will" fail.

Our "Backlash Sportfishing" clips were designed for plug fishing. We had the arm turned out to allow the easy attachment of plugs and bucktails in the dark.

The Breakaway clips were designed for cliping bait rigs equipped with barrel swivels to shock leader for quick on and off swaping during tournaments.

I have included two photo's from Breakaway UK's web site to depict their intended use.

For some good photo's for use with plugs, check out Tattoo's photo page and look for an October product review on Hogy's web site.

Have a great fall run.

BasicPatrick
09-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Patrick, are the clips you're using the ones in the attachment posted by bluefishercat?

BB, Yes the ones I am using are the one's Bluefishercat posted...there is nothing "wrong" with the strength of the original Breakaway, they just are a pain to use with some plugs...The Backlash clip is much easier to use and the bend does not cause any loss in strength like the second Breakaway (IMP) clip does.

Bottom line for me is that each of the three clips mentioned were designed for separate purposes. I have made my decision and I say we all should use what we like and face the consequences of our choices.

Adam_777
09-29-2008, 03:07 PM
I use the ones on Bigfish's pic to the left.

439elf
09-29-2008, 07:11 PM
The clips with the 90* out turned arm are 100% Breakaway designed by Nick. These were designed for use in Nicks IMP bait rigs clip down system. They were never intended for plug fishing. The 90* arm was designed to allow for the plastic piece to rotate through the clip. Please don't use these for pluging they "will" fail.

Our "Backlash Sportfishing" clips were designed for plug fishing. We had the arm turned out to allow the easy attachment of plugs and bucktails in the dark.

The Breakaway clips were designed for cliping bait rigs equipped with barrel swivels to shock leader for quick on and off swaping during tournaments.

I have included two photo's from Breakaway UK's web site to depict their intended use.

For some good photo's for use with plugs, check out Tattoo's photo page and look for an October product review on Hogy's web site.

Have a great fall run.Iv'e bein using this type this summer into fall.I make a pully rig out of a 4'piece of 40#stright leader tie the clip on one end snell wathever size hook i want coupl of beads a droper knot without the loop work very well for bunker chunks clams or any other cut bait

hardbait
09-29-2008, 08:29 PM
i think eagle claw now makes them also. so them at #^&#^&#^&#^&s

RoyL
09-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Isaw a guy with a pack of those the other day...I gave him some mine and told him not to use the ones he had