View Full Version : Penn International 975

Striper
09-28-2008, 11:19 PM
They look like they would be a good reel but looks do not mean anything to me. Can someone give me an experienced opinion on this reel?
If I buy the reel I will use it for surf casting plugs.

BigBo
09-29-2008, 02:45 AM
They're a decent casting reel. Some have complaints with the free spool button popping up in mid-cast. I never had that problem. Good strong drags. The weak link is the levelwind pawl. But, they're cheap and easy to change out if needed. Keep a few extras on hand.
IMO the Shimano Calcutta is a better overall reel.

JohnR
09-29-2008, 06:30 AM
Good but not great. Nice capacity compared to a 6500 series Abu/Calcutta 400 but not as bullet proof as the Calcutta or as well casting than the Abu.

Nice drag. Great boat reels

Striper
09-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys, I already have 3 Abu's 7000 and the are great reels for sure but I would like to give this one a try since I can buy it for nearly half price.

Bronko
09-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Good boat reel. Just not very durable in the surf, hates to get salty.

Finaddict
09-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I bought it for casting plugs ... don't like it at all for that purpose ... it can cast a country mile, but when I am working pencils and other plugs, I don't really like it, feel it's not designed for that kind of work.

Again, it's a great reel, but don't like it for plugging. would prefer a Calcutta or another reel. I used to use an old Diawa which worked great, but needed to update my reel and went with the 975, have not found it all that positive for my uses. If I could go back in time, I would buy the Calcutta -

- I know I am repeating myself on everything, but think you might be served better with a different reel for plugging.

Mike P
09-29-2008, 01:34 PM
There's a reason why you can buy them at half price--they're dogs. :yak6:

Everyone I knew that had them--and I had two myself--lost plugs when the free spool popped up in mid cast.

I've never had a reel that lunched leverl wind pawls with such frequency, too. Every 6 weeks or so, it seemed.

RIROCKHOUND
09-29-2008, 02:44 PM
There's a reason why you can buy them at half price--they're dogs. :yak6:

Everyone I knew that had them--and I had two myself--lost plugs when the free spool popped up in mid cast.

I've never had a reel that lunched leverl wind pawls with such frequency, too. Every 6 weeks or so, it seemed.

Yup.

The pawl goes, and they hate the salt.
Use a Newell, much easier to maintain

Striper
09-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys, I ended up getting one I could not turn it down for the price new in the bow dirt cheap.
I called Red Top today and one of the guys there had a casting duo with Ron Araa and he out casted Ron using a 975 he told me the pawl is like 2 bucks so ill just pick up a few and hope it works out well.