View Full Version : Attaching a plug to your line....

BrianS
10-01-2008, 08:01 AM
How do you do it?

Ive been using 30lb ppro - then using a surgeons knot, i attach ~3' of 30lb leader material.... then usually use a 80lb breakaway.

(ive been using 60lb mono as a leader for jigging)

Seeing in the last two weeks, ive lost 3-4 fish that in my mind were definite trophys (granted only 1 seemed to break the leader) I have decided to reevaluate what I am doing from the ground up...

For starters.. I think I am moving to a 40lb leader. I am making sure my reel is completely lined.. - you know stuff that is pretty much brainless to do.

I have to think though that even though Ive lost a few, I must be doing something right somewhere because in years past, ive never even had the opportunities to lose the bigger ones.

bloocrab
10-01-2008, 08:06 AM
I would definately bump it up to at least 40# for the leader...and more importantly....check it often. Pinch it between your fingers and run them down the leader, if you feel burrrrrrrrs, cut & re-tie. I normally make longer leaders and cut off as needed. When the leader gets shorter than I'd like,,,, time for a new leader.

Happy Hunting ~

Joe
10-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Scratch the surgeons knot - that's a line-to-line connection that is really not for braid to mono. It's a fly fishing tippet knot that supposed to be used for two lines that are close to the same diameter.
Use a palomar knot (http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php) to attach a 100# swivel then an improved clinch knot (http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php) for the leader - both ends.

Pete F.
10-01-2008, 08:32 AM
I do what joe says, but if you don't want to use a swivel use an Alberto knot for the line to leader connnection.

The Dad Fisherman
10-01-2008, 08:40 AM
I, too, am enrolled in the School of Joe....that is pretty much exactly what I do also

bassballer
10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
I would even go bigger than a 40lb mono leader. I was using 40lb for a little while and lost a couple really nice fish due to it. I switched to 60lb big game leader material and havent had an issue since and have more confidence fighting bigger fish. I didnt like the feeling of only having 40lb on during a battle.

Steve K
10-01-2008, 09:31 AM
On heavy leader material I use a barrel swivel tied to braid with an improved trilene knot and then attach the leader, usually 50# mono or flouro, using a centauri knot. I have had palomar knots fail when using flouro.

JFigliuolo
10-01-2008, 09:54 AM
No way would I go less than 50 in rocky areas. Except under special conditions.

Bronko
10-01-2008, 10:01 AM
40lb pp (main line)
130lb spro barrell swivel
3ft of 50lb Berkley Big Game Mono (as leader)
Break away clip (for plugs)
gami 5/0 or 6/0 for eels

(knots are a personal preference I like the improved clinch for most... albright sometimes as well)

Slingah
10-01-2008, 10:59 AM
40-50# pp
130 barrel swivel
50# leader
breakaway or #4 live bait gami for eels
uni knots....never lost a fish due to knot
due what bloocrab said and check the leader often..definatly after hooking up....Ive lost a few good ones very recently due to laziness...

BrianS
10-01-2008, 11:08 AM
All really good info... Thanks for the tips :)

Is there any reason not to just use 50lb mono instead of flouro?

mikebanks
10-01-2008, 11:35 AM
so does the breakaway clip attach to the plug?

Slingah
10-01-2008, 12:09 PM

yes....

Swimmer
10-01-2008, 12:22 PM

Breakaways are the best thing since power steering.

SAUERKRAUT
10-01-2008, 01:33 PM
I love shock leaders. Here's what I've learned the hard way: with spinning tackle (and my 11' rods), I swing a long drop of plug from rod tip. I use 12 feet of 50 or 60# mono tied to 30 or 40# PP with a Slim Jim knot. I make a double loop in the braid first with a triple surgeons knot before tying the slim jim. This puts the knot OUTSIDE the reel and usually distal to the first and second guides. Put the knot lower and you will create grief.

The real beauty of conventional tackle over spinning is that you can use a longer shocker and put the knot and one or two wraps on the reel spool. NOW you can slug it out in the rocks.

danno1
10-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Breakaways are the best thing since power steering.

So I should be using a "breakaway" instead of a snap swivel ? Never heard of them.

What brand of "Breakaway" and does the local tackle shop carry them ?

bloocrab
10-01-2008, 06:43 PM
...........Is there any reason not to just use 50lb mono instead of flouro?

Yes, the mono costs less than the flouro.....It's all about appearance,,,,what would the neighbors think if they knew you were taking the cheap way out even if they both do basically the same job ;)

P.S. Use whatever your most confident in. If you think for whatever reason, that flouro is better....use it. Breaking strength should be breaking strength, each individual spool is going to differ slightly as far as the actual breaking strength, not all are created equal....as far as flouro not getting knicked as easily....:yawn:

Can you guess what I use ?

nightfighter
10-01-2008, 08:43 PM
PP 50#, or sufix 30#
75 or 130 barrel swivel (spro)
40-50# fluro in the fall
breakaway clip
all three knots are palomars.

20 or 25#fluro for albies and schoolies
40-60# Ande mono when livelining

jimmy z
10-01-2008, 09:09 PM
To attach a plug to my leader, I use a loop knot.
I won't change.:)

fishaholic18
10-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Albright With A Lock.

http://www.powerpro.com/using/albright.asp

piemma
10-02-2008, 04:08 AM
Albright With A Lock.

http://www.powerpro.com/using/albright.asp

DITTO!!!!

UserRemoved1
10-02-2008, 04:12 AM
Homer Rhodes loop knot. Triple surgeons for leaders and line.

NIB
10-02-2008, 05:48 AM
I think knots are a personal thing..Like people who's pets look like em.
I like to keep things simple.
For a braid to mono connection I use a uni to uni..
For leader line to hardwares I use a palomar..You have to help a palomar to cinch up nice with lb test's greater than 50..I pre tie my leaders and put em in 3x5 bags you can get at most craft stores.I find this gets me back in the water as fast as possible when I have to retie.I think that is the most important thing..
As you can see by this thread there are many different knots to chose from.All the users will swear their choice is the best..
The trick is to get a knot your comfortable with and use it.The more you do so the better you will get at tieing em.The better you get at tieing them,the less likely you will have problems.While no knot is 100 percent,poorly tied knots are likely to be around 20 percent..And that is what you want to eliminate..

rphud
10-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Jimmy z, any length of time before you retie the loop knot, or do you feel OK with the frequency that you change plugs at for a new knot? I like this approach and use it for flies, but flies aren't wiggling back and forth rubbing on the loop during retreives. Just curious. thanks

NIB
10-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Abrasion.. is the problem I have with the loop knot..
I have had the line comprimised while using jigs..

jimmy z
10-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Jimmy z, any length of time before you retie the loop knot, or do you feel OK with the frequency that you change plugs at for a new knot? I like this approach and use it for flies, but flies aren't wiggling back and forth rubbing on the loop during retreives. Just curious. thanks

I have to retie every time I change a plug. It's quick, and simple. It's the way I like to do it. IMO, the plugs swing freely in the current.
BTW, I'll use the loop knot for teasers as well.

rphud
10-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Jimmy, do you ever get to the point where you feel you need to retie without/before changing plugs? Simple knot to tie compared to most. I like the idea.

jimmy z
10-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Jimmy, do you ever get to the point where you feel you need to retie without/before changing plugs? Simple knot to tie compared to most. I like the idea.It depends. If I'm switching plugs frequently, which will shorten the leader over the course of the night, or if I'm into bluefish. If that's the case, I'll put on a new length of leader. I can't remember the last time I lost a plug to the leader, or loop failing.

Adam_777
10-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Scratch the surgeons knot - that's a line-to-line connection that is really not for braid to mono. It's a fly fishing tippet knot that supposed to be used for two lines that are close to the same diameter.
Use a palomar knot (http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php) to attach a 100# swivel then an improved clinch knot (http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php) for the leader - both ends.

Another student in the school of Joe.

off topic ...Joe got any Korker 5000 studs ?

JamesJet
10-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Same as me except I use a 150 swivel. I have a hard time tying the palomar in mono over 30.

gone fishin
10-02-2008, 09:51 PM
I think knots are a personal thing..Like people who's pets look like em.
I like to keep things simple.
For a braid to mono connection I use a uni to uni..
For leader line to hardwares I use a palomar..You have to help a palomar to cinch up nice with lb test's greater than 50..I pre tie my leaders and put em in 3x5 bags you can get at most craft stores.I find this gets me back in the water as fast as possible when I have to retie.I think that is the most important thing..
As you can see by this thread there are many different knots to chose from.All the users will swear their choice is the best..
The trick is to get a knot your comfortable with and use it.The more you do so the better you will get at tieing em.The better you get at tieing them,the less likely you will have problems.While no knot is 100 percent,poorly tied knots are likely to be around 20 percent..And that is what you want to eliminate..

Ditto NIB. I have seen a guy who still uses a cinch knot have it hold under real tough conditions and have seen a palomar fail with a simple cast. It all depends on how you tie your knots and are confident with them. Practice makes perfect.

Breakaway clips are the best clip on the market today. I can use them in the dark - no problems and I have never had one open. I do check them after using it on a heavy jig with a heavy eye, If the clip looks like it has an increased space I change them out.