View Full Version : Rods n' Reels...

MountainBreeze
11-24-2002, 08:40 AM
Hey Folks,

I know we covered this several times over the last few months but I'm wondering if any of you purchased a new rod / reel that you would like to comment on.

I'm planning on getting a PENN Slammer spinner and either a St. Croix or Lami surf rod for the Spring and want to make sure I'm not missing any comments on gear that weren't made in older posts.

I really wish we could put a pole to rate rods / reels.

Witch would be your top 3 (for the surf, if $$$ were no option, and not just because it is expensive - because it is good):

a) Spinning Reel
b) Casting Reel
c) Fly Reel

d) Spinning Rod
e) Casting Rod
f) Fly Rod

Comments / suggestions or just forget it. ;)

Thanks,
Rob

Team Rock On
11-24-2002, 10:05 AM
Cape Fear Advance Tech. casting or spinning rods. The 8' version is unbelievable. It looks and feels like an ultra light rod but has the power to move a 30 lb. striper. http://www.capefearrodcompany.com/index.asp

JohnR
11-24-2002, 10:31 AM
I really want to get a look at those Cape Fears - impressive reading about them...

Rob - really depends on what you are looking to. In my opnion, a good surf stick for what I like to do is one that let's you through under 3 ounces 200-300 feet or good with eels, decent backbone yet light enough to cast all night. Optimum size for me is 9 feet.

Spinning reel
price no object - Van Staal
price important - Nautil or Penn or Shimano Baitrunner for eeling (I haven't used any of the big expensive Shimanos before)

Conventional -
price no object - Calcutta 400 (Maybe the TE too) - the Calcutta 400 is a SWEET reel, Penn 965, a little more problematic than the Calcutta but also a nice reel, Modded ABU 6500 Mag Elite or Big Game or most of the higher end ABU reels
price important - ABU 6500 TCST, many bearings, Big Handle, excellent price - less than $90 - add smoothie drags for another 6 bucks and you have the best bang for the buck conventional going

Couldn't tell you about fly reels - out of my league...

Rods:

Most custom rods can be made spinning or conventional - they are just built slightly different to suit the reels

My personal favorites:
More $$:
10' Lami 1205XRA - Cast bigger plugs a country mile :D
10' AllStar 2 piece series - don't own one but they are very impressive and want one ;)
9' Alstar 1088 - Haven't fished mine yet but I already like it
8' G-Loomis SU965 - Awesome light surf rod that can handle nice bass and stop an albie in it's tracks.
8' St Croix SCIII Steelhead rod - setup spinning it's a tick lighter than my Loomis is matches very well with the Stradic 4000

Less $$

Any of the Batson Rainshadows 8-10 feet. I have several in varies ratings and they have an excellent bang for the buck. The 9' (OK 8'10") 1088 is my primary eel - medium plug stick, all-around go to rod :D and it runs half the money of a comparable Lami1083...

capesams
11-24-2002, 02:48 PM
JOHN R....Thanks for typeing my response. now I don't need to.:kewl:

JohnR
11-24-2002, 07:36 PM
We on the same disturbed brainwaves?

Does this mean I get to ride on the Petrel one of these days?

:happy: :happy: :happy:

capesams
11-24-2002, 07:45 PM
I would have to say yes, give we get some good wind this coming summer, last summer stunk period. .....no drueling on the boat, makes for a slick deck.:p

StarsnStripers
11-24-2002, 09:40 PM
I started saltwater fishing a few months ago but maybe this would help.... I have a Spinfisher 5500SS and I love it, great, smooth reel, but I have no other reels in my experience to compare it too.....Just know it exceeds the performance of any of my freshwater equipment!!! As for rod, If money is no option, I have heard alot about the custom rods in Frank Daignalts "Striper Surf" book....maybe you should consider that....:D

JohnR
11-25-2002, 08:05 AM
Rob - the custom rods in Frank D's books are good classics but that is what they are, classics. The majority are not even available...

Get a nice lightweight graphite rod and don't hold it over your head in a lightning storm :p

Mike P
11-25-2002, 11:13 AM
Even Frank no longer uses those classics---although those old yellow Lamis never broke and you could crank a 20 pounder over the wavetops using one. His go-to rod is a 9' Fisher graphite (another one ya can't get any more :( )

You can still get those yellow Lamis, but the blanks cost as much as a Batson Rainshadow and almost as much as an All-Star. Most of them were cut to size, which voided the warranty, but the warranty wasn't something you had any reason to worry about on those yellow monsters.

I like John's reel choices, too. The only thing I'd add is, if you fish the Canal a lot, you might want to go up to something in the Abu 7000/Newell 229/Daiwa SL-30 size range.

FishTales
11-25-2002, 11:35 AM
Take a look at tica rods . New brand for '02.

I bought one at the end of the summer and am very happy with my purchase , 10' 6" surfcaster light in weight and very responsive & sensitive . Good rod for the money !

They can be found at www.digitaldagger.com The people there where very helpful and patient :D

Saltheart
11-25-2002, 12:49 PM
For surf combo , best set up for the money is an AllStar 1265 with an Abu 6500 levelwing reel. I like the BG6500CL but the less expensive C3 is almost as good and and lot less money.

For a spinner , best for the money would be the same Allstar 1265 built spinner with I guess a Penn z or PennSS.

Money no object , Lami Arra XRA 1204 or 1205 (depending on lure weight range) built spinner or conventional. Conventional reel I would go The Calcutta 400 on the 1204 and an Abu BG 7000Cl on the 1205 (I have both those reels and the Arra 1205 myself). Spinner , I'd go VS. Money almost no object , Shimano sustain spinner .

We could talk heavers or canal rods , etc but for surf outfits , that's what I'd get.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about fly fishing to comment there. Go ask Mike F at Flyfishsaltwaters.com for a good answere about fly fishing the surf.

saltydog
11-25-2002, 07:12 PM
O.K who wants to talk FLY FISHIN? come on over to the Saltwater flyfishing page a Ill assist you as much as I can.
if not 'GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN":happy:

StarsnStripers
11-25-2002, 07:27 PM
I see John,
But I didn't mean the custom rods described in Frank D's books, I just meant him mentioning the general idea of a custom rod over a factory rod....