View Full Version : Bike Access to the Canal

Chris in Mass
10-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Any good places to launch a bike mid-canal, either side? I have a plan to check, just want to be more efficient. PM is you feel this is sensitive info. Thanks in advance.

JohnR
10-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Any good places to launch a bike mid-canal, either side? I have a plan to check, just want to be more efficient. PM is you feel this is sensitive info. Thanks in advance.

I found that launching Bikes in the Canal, due to current, they don't go down as fast as they would in still water, nyuk-nyuk-nyuk...

OK, plenty of parking places, plenty of access. Here is a link with some info: http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/recreati/ccc/recreation/recmap.pdf

lurch
10-03-2008, 06:47 AM

When parking at the herring run parking lot I can easily make it to both ends of the canal.

Montyfishing
10-03-2008, 07:31 AM
That is when Lurch actually goes...and that has not been often!

ProfessorM
10-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Halfway gate on cape side

lurch
10-03-2008, 10:53 AM
That is when Lurch actually goes...and that has not been often!

Dont make me beat you...

Swimmer
10-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Didn't the Army Corp of Engineers repave the ramp behind the Gallo. Or was that just a new drainage pipe leading under the tracks to the canal?

Mike P
10-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Please use your head if you park at Halfway gate. It's tight for space, and one of the things I'm concerned about is having it posted No Parking if too much spillover onto Sandwich Road occurs.

They just posted a bunch of No Parking signs at some turn-offs inside the Scussett reservation, and if Halfway gate gets to be a PITA it could happen there. And slobs leaving fish racks there doesn't help. :doh: :wall:

The Herring Run is your best bet. Roomy, well lighted, and IMO your car/truck is safer there than in some dark, unlit turn-off on the Cape side. Staties and Bourne PD are always driving along Scenic Highway.

Montyfishing
10-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Beat me....you would have to cross the bridge for that!
Well maybe I would get my charger back.

I am heading outer cape with J-Dog if you are interested. Going for the day at least (Saturday) Maybe if fishing is good stay at the house in Harwich and hit it again on Sunday.

Well I know you are toooooo busy, so maybe next year for you!

Chris in Mass
10-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks all for the humor and info. Used the bike for the first time this morning. Felt like a kid with a new license. I can see where you have to be careful not to chase - just cause you can. Fortunately had a plan a pretty much stuck with it. Used the Herring Run entrance. You are right -easy and lighted. I was expecting to see, "Duh" for some of the responses. Duly noted on the parking for Halfway Gate.

JohnR, How bout at slack tide? Would braid help? "Why you......":D

late-start
10-03-2008, 04:12 PM
anyone fishing this evening or everyone fishing the later tide?

Desperate to get out for a few hours this evening, and considering the drive down from boston