View Full Version : West Wall

steve
10-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Does anyone out there know about the closure(?) of this great spot ?I just heard that the dirt road has been closed or gated , and what about the nearby parking? Thanks.

Mugz
10-08-2008, 08:15 AM
I was down that way Sunday AM, and saw many, many guys on the Wall....but I saw that from a distance and did not travel down by the entrance and parking area.

steve
10-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Someone just told me that dirt road will be gated with a card system for residents.

Mugz
10-08-2008, 08:51 AM
It's not a spot I fish except for early season schoolies, but it is another spot that "Bites The Dust"...unless you want to hike it from the East Matunuck parking lot. Bummer.....

Chris in Mass
10-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Is it a car gate that you can walk around or is it Berlin like?

JohnR
10-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I have not been down there but I hear this too. Expect more of the same , especially if CRMC rolls over and starts playing dead...

steve
10-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Welcome to the Ocean State - Now just try to get to the water!

SeaWolf
10-08-2008, 09:29 AM
there has been talk about this recently in our ROW committee. the road is said to be private, but has a long standing history of travel. whether or not it is truely a state ROW is something to be determined. there is talk or looking into this possible closure and possibly adopting one of the access points just west of this road as a ROW.

one thing i am starting to see in RI is that the state does not have the funds or personel to tackle all these ROW issues, from jamestown, barrington, watch hill, quonnie, etc. they keep leaving it up to the town to decide, which is against what the laws of the state say and what crmc states in their guides. strength in numbers and letters to politians and or directors is what may be needed in the future. one thing is certain, our ROWs are being challenged more and more.

BigFish
10-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Closed!! Gated!!!??? Open to residents only!!!??? And they want to start charging us for the right to fish??? Where are we supposed to gain access!!!???:nailem:

steve
10-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Hey Bigfish, I had a nice fish on one of those surface swimmers the other mourning. Thanks and keep up the good work. Do you make needlefish?

Nebe
10-08-2008, 10:08 AM
That gate had better have a gap in it for foot traffic or i will personally pull it down with my truck.
That is a public right of way... there is no doubt in my mind. If there is a gap for foot traffic, I see no problem as it is a private road. Shame on any of you if your driving in there and parking in private property.. I have seen people do this and I have a feeling that this gate is a response to that type of 'I can park where I want mentality'.

Nebe
10-08-2008, 10:09 AM
furthermore, if you look closely at the dunes club gate, there is a gap for foot traffic. They at least had some respect for a public ROW..

:smash:

Rob Rockcrawler
10-08-2008, 10:31 AM
If they try to block off access wouldnt a 100 man march be in order. Set up a date and time, everyone walks out with a rod and a trash bag. We need to think of a revolutionary slogan to march by. any suggestions?

Flaptail
10-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Hey Bigfish, I had a nice fish on one of those surface swimmers the other mourning. Thanks and keep up the good work. Do you make needlefish?

Get in line Steve, I have been asking him for two years now.

On the topic of this thread, seems you guys need to do something fast or your access is going to go down in flames. I don't think we as Massachusetts residents can help but know we support you. That really sucks, it seems all we see is you guys losing more and more spots to fish which are probably at a premium as it is.

There has to be someone who can do something for you at a state level. Do any of your reps fish?

Say what you want about Ted Kennedy but I know folks who have had access to him when things like this come up and with a wink and a nod he gets them resolved for fisherman to access otherwise off limits places here in mass. Is his kid sympathetic to your plight? Is he aware of just useless?

Damm shame, I come and go pretty freely here on Cape, might not be as many fish but it certainly is a lot easier up here that down RI way. I almost moved to Jamestown in the early eighties, my bosses brother is a dr. there, names Coughlin, His brother did not want me to leave the company and made arrangements for me to look at property there. An hours commute from Worcester to Jamestown on a good day back then and I could be near the fioshing and still work for him was his theory ( company vehicle and gas card to boot)

I chose Cape Cod, I am very glad.

Good luck to you guys, you got to fight this kind of thing.

tlapinski
10-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Maybe the same ones that "blocked off Frenchman's" did it... :devil2::devil::bs:

RIROCKHOUND
10-08-2008, 02:38 PM
That gate had better have a gap in it for foot traffic or i will personally pull it down with my truck.
That is a public right of way... there is no doubt in my mind. If there is a gap for foot traffic, I see no problem as it is a private road. Shame on any of you if your driving in there and parking in private property.. I have seen people do this and I have a feeling that this gate is a response to that type of 'I can park where I want mentality'.

Exactly!
Just because you want to live-line shad, it doesn't give you the right.
Same with seeing people cut through the houses instead of walking around...

I'll provide the tow-rope :D

tangler
10-09-2008, 08:53 AM
The road in question here is Beach ROW . Its an issue that has been escalating for years. An association was formed a few years ago . One of the fist things they did to limit access was purchase the little lot across from Skips Dock that was used for parking and made it private. Now parking is limited to just a few spaces along the road . At most there is room for 8 (small ) cars so access is pretty limited as it is. I have always been told that the road was town property , and for that matter the "ROW" in the name of the road , Beach ROW , stood for "right of way ". I sympathize with the folks that live there. It is constantly used as a "drop off " spot for folks who are to cheap to park at the state beach. There is just not room for this kind of traffic on this little dead end road . In recent years the Wall has become a pit . Its just plain disgusting what you find out there some days . Most of the garbage shows up at night . The same crowd that is trashing up the place is most often drinking and when leaving the wall are loud , showing little respect for the folks that live along the row. This is at all hours of the night. So once again , You have to sympathize with the folks that live there. I dont know what the answer is but I am quite sure that you will still be able to access the wall on foot .
If any of you trash dumping , wall s*****g , bass turds are reading this ( I doubt they can read) you better start showing some respect for this and all areas . Tempers are hotter than you can imagine and I fear that the S*** is gonna hit the fan one of these nights. :af:

BassDawg
10-10-2008, 01:03 PM
what's the BIG hub-uhhb BUBS??

we ALL know that~~~~

:heybaby: :heybaby: THERE'S NO FEESH IN RI :heybaby: :heybaby:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

on a more serious note, and back to the context of this thread

it just plain SUX and is one of my pet beefs when it comes to the
polluting of OUR majestic shores,,,,,,,,,,,,,trouble is, most aliens/immigrants don't sea them as thiers too, or their sub-ameobaish lack of self-respect is directly reflected by their thoughtless actions; thereby, screwing it up for the rest of us that LOVE our COUNTRY, SURF, and STRIPERS.

hard to blame the property owners, yet, the ROW should have been established and granted from way before these folks tried to deny any present day access. best of luck fighting City Hall, Steven.

i'm with Nebe, yank that suckah DOWN!!!!
:btu: :btu: :btu:

Bocephus
10-10-2008, 03:00 PM
i stopped going there. Last time I went, a family was dumping garbage in the water half way out, plastic wrappers, coke cans, empty chip bags... my friend alerted me, I turned in time to see 2 of them throwing cans in the ocean. I started screaming at them, loudly, and pointing, so everyone on that wall turned and saw them doing it. Only then did they understand what they were doing was wrong, then scrambled to pick up whatever was still within reach. Had to swim my plugs between floating garbage on a beautiful warm fall day. These folks didnt speak english, for the record. But its not limited to just immigrants, plenty of white trash doing the same thing too.

fumifish
10-10-2008, 04:58 PM
But its not limited to just immigrants, plenty of white trash doing the same thing too.

spot on.. lets not get away from the issue at hand...

cow tamer
10-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Picket fence is now up on property abutting the entrance, adjacent to where the gate is going. Didn't see any razor wire, yet.