View Full Version : to fill or not to fill

MrHunters
10-09-2008, 01:39 PM
seeing gas prices are better than they were 3 months ago. Will you guys fill your tanks before you put them away or keep them close to empty this year?

Thinking about filling it not that it's a huge deal for me but I've not seen any ethanol effects and I had a half tank last year.

taJon
10-09-2008, 01:41 PM
don't fill. use fuel stabilizer for the winter.

Raven
10-09-2008, 01:58 PM
that is the question :laugha:

CaptMike
10-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I like to fill because it will keep moisture from the air from condensing in the tank and getting in the fuel, or at least it will keep it to a minimum.

missing link
10-09-2008, 04:33 PM
I run my tank down to 1/8 and add Start and Store and Stabil which I use all year and also a shot of EZORB = no phase seperation, come spring some fresh gas more EZORB & Stabil
not a problem for the past 4 years with this boat I always change my filter at winter lay up.
ML

ProfessorM
10-09-2008, 04:33 PM
I drain the whole system and start fresh in spring. I can get my 50 gal. tank out very easily,which helps. I use gas in snowblower and lawn mower.

beamie
10-09-2008, 04:37 PM
You can really go either way on this. The amount of condensation created if left MT is minimal and this will dissapear with additives. Personally I am still a fan of filling for the winter.

gf2020
10-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Regardless of gas prices, since the change to E10 gas, you want to run your tank as low as possible before winterizing.

Rip Runner
10-09-2008, 07:26 PM
I agree with filling it & adding startron & Ezorb for the winter. Most marina's actually require you to store your boat full so that there is no chance of explosions from vapors.

ivanputski
10-09-2008, 07:36 PM
I was always told that if you dont fill, you will get condensation... I fill and add stabilizer...also, why do people change lower unit oil in the fall before storing? why not change it in the spring right before you use it???

Van
10-09-2008, 07:36 PM
I agree with filling it & adding startron & Ezorb for the winter. Most marina's actually require you to store your boat full so that there is no chance of explosions from vapors.

I filled last winter with no issues..

FILL IT and stabilize it. Done...

Raider Ronnie
10-09-2008, 08:42 PM
I don't have this issue with diesel :heybaby:

thefishingfreak
10-09-2008, 10:06 PM
me either :hee:

CaptMike
10-10-2008, 07:56 AM

I think that's actually the law in Massachusetts, obviously if you store it yourself it won't matter but most marinas will want to fill it for insurance reasons

saltyric
10-10-2008, 09:13 AM
I like to fill because it will keep moisture from the air from condensing in the tank and getting in the fuel, or at least it will keep it to a minimum.

Ditto.....

Rip Runner
10-10-2008, 02:26 PM
I was always told that if you dont fill, you will get condensation... I fill and add stabilizer...also, why do people change lower unit oil in the fall before storing? why not change it in the spring right before you use it???

You change the lower unit oil in the fall in case thier is any water intrusion. If it sits over the winter it can rust and or freeze causing a crack in the lower unit. Filling it with fresh grease & no air is the way to go to properly store an outboard.

fishsmith
10-10-2008, 02:56 PM

The Parker runs on diesel? :pats:

gf2020
10-11-2008, 08:20 PM
I think that's actually the law in Massachusetts, obviously if you store it yourself it won't matter but most marinas will want to fill it for insurance reasons

That's completely false.

beamie
10-11-2008, 08:51 PM

Actually Ronnie,

Your right, but your problems could be far worse. Add some Biocide to your diesel at the end of the season. "bugs" like to grow in the water/fuel interface area in fuel tanks. These bugs love to clog filters and cause headaches. This happens on boat on up to ships. Sometimes depends more on the origin of the fuel whether Venezulen or Texas or Saudi.

Raider Ronnie
10-11-2008, 08:55 PM
The Parker runs on diesel? :pats:

No, The BHM downeast