View Full Version : Eels and Rubbah Core...

The Dad Fisherman
10-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Quick Question, when fishing eels with the Rubbah core weights where do you usually put the weights. Do you jam them in the eels mouth or do you put them on the leader maybe 18" up or so. Or any other locations for them?

Thinkin about giving it a try this weekend.

Clogston29
10-10-2008, 08:13 AM
here's what I do (though i'm in no way an expert):

rubber core goes on the line for me, about 12" up

if you want the sinker in the eel, look the the little bell shaped lead weights with the brass wire tie (below). put that in the eels mouth and hook through both of the eels lips and through the wire tie.

fishsmith
10-10-2008, 08:15 AM
TDF, are you casting or dropping the eels from a boat? I don't use weight when casting, but dropping from a boat I go about 8 - 10" from the eel.

RIROCKHOUND
10-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Quick Question, when fishing eels with the Rubbah core weights where do you usually put the weights. Do you jam them in the eels mouth or do you put them on the leader maybe 18" up or so. Or any other locations for them?

Thinkin about giving it a try this weekend.

On the leader, ~12" up, below the swivel.

Closer to the eel = less spin on the cast and more distance..

rarely need this though, unless it is a big heave or roaring current.

try small splitshot above the eel...

The Dad Fisherman
10-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanx for the quick responses guys...I'll be casting into heavy current. Tried it before without weight and it just wasn't cutting it.

Any preference on the size or is it (I'm Taking it) dependent on the Depth and Current you want to fish.

RIROCKHOUND
10-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Thanx for the quick responses guys...I'll be casting into heavy current. Tried it before without weight and it just wasn't cutting it.

Any preference on the size or is it (I'm Taking it) dependent on the Depth and Current you want to fish.

3/8oz is a lot.... I have used up to an ounce, that was a very special circumstance...

mayday1019
10-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Aside from a tougher time casting, why do you guys not like to use an egg sinker above the swivel?

Clogston29
10-10-2008, 08:39 AM
also, try casting the eel further up current (w/o weight) and give it slack for a longer period of time. it'll swim down.

i've only really found using rubber core (1/8 or 1/4 oz) to really be effective when cross winds and trying to stay in contact with the eel are the issue, not current.

if the current is too strong to effectively drift, try an eel bob (fish it like a jig) or swim plate (cast up current, let in sink, then let it swing) to get it down.

steve
10-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Clogston, That's a great idea( with the weight in mouth) ! What I do is use a1/2 oz. split shot right above the eye of the hook. It works better than the rubber core and is much easier to put on and stay on while casting. I guess you could use multiple slplit shots if you needed more weight. I just need one usually for the wind or get the eel down a bit. I am going to try Clogston's method though, Thanks.

BillM
10-16-2008, 03:15 PM
I've had good luck with the split shot like Steve said. Plus it's easy on - easy off.
Sometimes that little extra weight makes a difference in a current.

Brian L
10-17-2008, 06:50 AM
I've never seen that system, Clogston. Love it! Good stuff!

Of all the ways I've seen and used to weigh down an eel, I like the bullet weight (much like you'd use with a rubber worm) best. The weight can slide up and down the line without getting hung up, it cuts the water better(less gunk hung up on it), and you can hook the eel through the back of the jaw and out through the eye(most solid spot for repeated casting, imo).

Couple questions re: weights in mouth- Anyone find that the eels die quicker with a weight in their mouth? I haven't done it in years, though I seem to remember that being the case. Also, I like when the eel slides up the line away from the fish when you hook up. You tend to get more life, therefore more fish and more casts out of a single eel. It's nice when unhooking a fish too. Does the eel tend to stay put more with a weight in its mouth?

Saltheart
10-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah that putting the hook through the brass eye on the inserted sinkers is new to me.

I usually use a rubber core a foot up or mostly I Like some very small torpedo shaped leads and i shove them down the eels throat. The only problem with the rubber core is they can sometimes hang up if youy are slowly dragging it through rocks , etc. The little torpedo sinkers inside obviously don't hang up but may be (definitely i guess) tougher on the eels.

Mike P
10-17-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't know about eels (have never weighted them in any manner in the Canal), but when chunking, if you put the Rubbercore below the swivel, on the leader, the chunk will spin like a top in the current. You have to put the sinker above the swivel, on the running line.

Clogston29
10-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Couple questions re: weights in mouth- Anyone find that the eels die quicker with a weight in their mouth? I haven't done it in years, though I seem to remember that being the case. Also, I like when the eel slides up the line away from the fish when you hook up. You tend to get more life, therefore more fish and more casts out of a single eel. It's nice when unhooking a fish too. Does the eel tend to stay put more with a weight in its mouth?

yes, the eels die quicker and tend to tear off more when you get fish. its only something i go to when i have to based on conditions. i actually like freshly dead or near dead eels anyway, especially when drifting.

MikeToole
10-17-2008, 11:25 AM
I fish an area where the water is 25' deep and moving. Most of the time I just use a black jig head with the hook pushed from under the jaw out the top of the head. Since most the time the eels I use for this type of fishing are either just about dead or dead, sometimes I'll just push metal balls down their throat for weight. I get the balls from old bearings. I like to use round steel ball because if the bass eats the eel it should have no trouble passing them.