View Full Version : Are you A miserable fisherman or do you know someone who is?

ilovetwofish
10-10-2008, 09:55 AM
If so you or the miserable person should find a new hobby!

I'm a 36 year young man who loves to fish and have been doing it now about 13 years and enjoys fishing around socialable people.No this is not a add for a partner.
I no this guy who thinks his %$%$%$%$ doesn't stink who thinks he's god's gift to fishing.He hates anybody who is younger then him fishing in what he thinks is his waters, including anybody using light tackle in anyway, boat guys, flie guys bait guys and pretty much any one who isn't over 60 and is fishing anything other then what he is fishing with.

I aproached this man who came 10 feet from me and starting fishing next to me.I asked him very respectfuly and nicely what his problem is and he said he is anti social, fine no problem then he continues on and says he doesn't like all the people who fish around him and says he is getting sick of it and will start throwing people in the water or shooting them he doesn' care anymore.

If I ever get that bad I will quit fishing forever and hope my life is over.

Can't we all just get allong.

Crafty Angler
10-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Geez, was that you the other night?

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Just kidding......

RIJIMMY
10-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Im not a miserable fisherman, but Im not socialable while Im fishing. I fish with very few people, mostly because I dont want to babysit or compromise on what I want to do. If fish to fish, I rather be with my wife and kids then BS with other fisherman. the time on spend on the water is incredibly precious to me and I dont have a lot of time to spare. That being said, I see no excuse for rudeness towards others I may come across while fishing and I would always lend a hand to someone if asked or if I see they need help.

numbskull
10-10-2008, 10:09 AM
The guy is depressed....best give him room.

luds
10-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Did he call you d_ck breath? :deer:

fishbones
10-10-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm a miserable person in general, but I'm less miserable when fishing. I prefer to fish with one person because I just feel safer. I'll usually talk to others that I run into, but I give them their space. I can't stand being crowded or having my line crossed.

If someone's in the spot I came to fish, I'll fish a different spot in the same area or move on all together. First come, first served. I'd never act like the guy described above.

As for the grump you ran into, I kinda feel for someone who can't even enjoy time spent fishing. That guy must be a real peach when he's working or doing something he doesn't like to do.

FishermanTim
10-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Sounds like the kind of person that, if they were on fire, and jumped into the water to put it out, would complain that the water was too cold and too deep.:doh:

Bocephus
10-10-2008, 11:57 AM
My mood always lightens up when I go fishing, thats why I go....I also go because I want to get away from people. But if the fishing dies out, or you both happen to be back on the rocks or the beach, some friendly banter between strangers isnt a bad thing...actually it can be very good, friends can be made, info and ideas can be exchanged, techniques learned, etc..... unless the other party is drunk, then just stay away and keep an eye out behind you.

BatesBCheatin
10-10-2008, 12:01 PM
I aproached this man who came 10 feet from me and starting fishing next to me.I asked him very respectfuly and nicely what his problem is and he said he is anti social, fine no problem then he continues on and says he doesn't like all the people who fish around him and says he is getting sick of it and will start throwing people in the water or shooting them he doesn' care anymore.

That's an old technique used to just get you to move out of 'his' spot. I probably would haved moved though just in case. ;)

BigFish
10-10-2008, 12:25 PM
I am with RIJimmy......when I am fishing I am for the most part all business.....though I do on occasion get a little fun streak in me and have a few laughs with my buddies! When I am fishing there is not much room for talking.....talking is for after the fishing is done!;)

Slingah knows someone who might fit the bill though!:rotflmao:

FishermanTim
10-10-2008, 01:23 PM
.....When I am fishing there is not much room for talking.....talking is for after the fishing is done!;) ......

I agree, fish first and talk later.

Of course there's also the "misery loves company" angle, but if I'm not having a miserable time, why would I want someone else to bring me down?

I try to limit my converstion to small talk and passing on tips to those that have been less fortunate catching ANYTHING.
We all know how we jate getting the skunk, particularly during the fall run.

RIJIMMY
10-10-2008, 01:26 PM
I should note that I do have lengthy discussions with my bunker or eel.

spence
10-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I should note that I do have lengthy discussions with my bunker or eel.
Yea, I'll bet they really give you some contentious discourse. :rtfm::rotflmao:

-spence

BigFish
10-10-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't talk to alot of strangers! They always tend to bend my ear about their fishing "war stories" and give me tips on how to fish.....like I don't know how to fish!! Know what I mean??!! Like they invented the sport!!! I don't bore people with my tales of yore and I don't want to be bored by theirs!:yawn::yawn::yawn:

The Dad Fisherman
10-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't mind talking to people when I bump into them on the beach...I will say that while my line is in the water I usually like it quiet though....Thats why i am out there.

BigFish
10-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Oh...and I forgot to mention their story always concludes with the ritualistic telling of all the 30's they were getting..........and of course I have to ask for clarification......"30 pounds??"......"no...30 inches!!!".....oh great story.....thanks for making my ears bleed for the last 20 minutes.....please shoot me now!!:rollem:

ProfessorM
10-10-2008, 02:33 PM
LOL Lawrence. I will keep to myself next time.:chatter. I wouldn't want to cause any inner ear problems. I do talk to myself a lot, but never seem to have an intelligent conversation though. It's all about fun for me and don't mind banter, but I am pretty observant and can take a message.

BigFish
10-10-2008, 02:36 PM
:jester: Paul I was not talking about you! I don't think I have ever seen you catch a 30 inch fish!:jester: You are one of those I was talking about when I mentioned having a few laughs! You, Mayor Paul, are fun to fish with!:tooth:

Slingah
10-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Slingah knows someone who might fit the bill though!:rotflmao:

Six years ago this time of year I tried talking to this big miserable jerk of a man who I had been seeing on my local rockpile during some great daytime blitzes. He basically didnt want to hear anything I had to say...and I walked away thinking what a d*ckhead!!!....his buddy Joe was okay though...:jester:.....then I started seeing him down the cape in this old jeep ( I think he was following me ).....well, its a small community...just be careful who you start talking to on the beach :bshake:

BigFish
10-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Slingah is my hero!:tooth:

Don't take this down again...you have no right or reason...besides....I will keep putting it up so let it go!:laugha:

Slingah
10-10-2008, 02:44 PM
:tooth:

ilovetwofish
10-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I agree when i'm fishing I value the time just like when i'm with my family and don't want to get into a long conversation with someone.But here is a guy who can't stand to see people fishing near him understandable.He comes 10 feet away from me this morning and cuts my casting area in half and has the balls to treat me like I invaded his space what a jerk. I don't like when someone comes into my area when i'm fishing either but as long as they are fairly nice and asks if I mind I don't have a problem with it this time of year there is plenty of fish to go around anyway.If this guy was younger he would have been swimming.

BigFish
10-10-2008, 02:51 PM
The water is still warm luv2fish......give him a nudge if he won't budge!:tooth::laugha:

ilovetwofish
10-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Those cliffs in gansett can get pretty slippery.

The water is still warm luv2fish......give him a nudge if he won't budge!:tooth::laugha:

BigFish
10-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Cliffs? Even better....drop him like a stone...just make sure there are no witnesses!:btu:

CanalGuy
10-10-2008, 02:58 PM
I don't talk to alot of strangers! They always tend to bend my ear about their fishing "war stories" and give me tips on how to fish.....like I don't know how to fish!! Know what I mean??!! Like they invented the sport!!! I don't bore people with my tales of yore and I don't want to be bored by theirs!:yawn::yawn::yawn:

I agree with you 100% Whoever is next to ya always speaks as if I just bought the Rod & Reel. I don't know why this is, when I show up and someone's there it's a simple Any Luck? and I'm on my way.

BigFish
10-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Its funny isn't it CanalGuy?? :tooth:

CaptMike
10-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I fish to have fun. It really doesn't bother me if someone is near me or in "my" spot as long as they're not rude or in some way impacting my fishing. I usually like to fish with family and friends because they love to fish for the same reasons I do. If I ever got to the point where I'm being nasty to strangers who are around on a public beach or piece of water I'm going to quit fishing and just work all the time because it means I've lost the ability to enjoy my favorite pastime. If someone anchors right on top of me or crosses my line or something like that, that's a different story but in general I can put up with a lot because I'm fishing and not working. Life is way too short and fishing days are way too infrequent to sweat the small stuff. If somebody wants to be a jerk I would just leave them to be miserable by themselves.

Adam_777
10-10-2008, 03:20 PM
I'd like to fish with this miserable guy.We'd get along fine.

ProfessorM
10-10-2008, 03:22 PM
I concur indubitably with capt mike

doktorfaustus77
10-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I prefer to fish alone or with 1 other person, preferably my father. The miserable guy that you encountered was totally in the wrong. You were there first. First come first serve. I usually avoid confrontation while im fishing and if people are getting close for no reason and im not catching i'll move on. Not a passive person but don't want the hassle unless offense is egregious. If people are moving in and casting over me (only happened one time in 7 years) That steams me and i'll say something.

I'm not miserable at all but not overy social. I like some space, physical and conversational, and give everyone the same.

likwid
10-10-2008, 03:59 PM
booger is grumpy.
very grumpy.

Flaptail
10-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Sounds like a number of people I fish with, wish you could narrow it down a bit. Any description?:huh:

Joe
10-10-2008, 04:15 PM
You're better off not engaging surfcasters. They are not out by themselves at the end of their lives because they cultivated a lot of rewarding friendships.

vanstaal
10-10-2008, 05:38 PM
I know a bunch of these people the are called THE WALK ABOUTS AND TALK ABOUTS you see them on the wall in gansett :hs::hs::hs:

beaver
10-10-2008, 06:05 PM
I thoroughly enjoy when someone walks by you at the canal and insists on telling you that you're doing something wrong or that should do it his way and then as he starts to walk or ride away you hook up. Then they wait until you land the fish and to their dismay its a nice one. Or when the albies are breaking nearby and someone comes up to you and says you need to throw a little shiny lure and that they won't hit that topwater. Nailed one the next cast on a Spoffords Needle right in front of him. It's one thing to try and help someone out but fishermen don't really appreciate it when you tell them they're wrong.

Those are true stories btw. Gotta love it when those things happen.

BigFish
10-10-2008, 06:16 PM
I also love when they "coach" you as you are playing a fish!!! I feel like telling them to shut the $%*! up!!! In fact from now on...I will!!:cens::fury:

Rockport24
10-10-2008, 08:14 PM
oh man, this happens a lot in the fall when everybody is out during the day blitz-chasing. I rarely run into anyone else when I'm out at night, I've also been know to drive right past a spot if I see cars parked there, I don't need anyone's BS at 3am

that said, the kayak is a great way to remedy this situation, but then you got those damn boaters!

Graves
10-10-2008, 10:08 PM
SHOULD HAVE PULLED OUT YOUR CELL PHONE, CALLED THE POLICE AND TELL THEM SOMEONE JUST THREATENED TO SHOOT YOU, BELIEVE ME THEY WOULD COME.

PEOPLE LIKE THAT HAVE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THEM.

keep on fishin......

jimmy z
10-10-2008, 11:59 PM
When someone gives an answer like that, either they're being a wise guy, or there is really something wrong with them.
Folks aren't essentially " anti-social". On the contrary, we are and live as social beings. Without judging, but it sounds like a broken spirit. I really feel bad for those types, because this gift of life we have, as all other gifts we receive, are given to us to enjoy.
Very sad indeed. I don't let folks like that get to me. I remember, that they have to lie down with themselves, and live with themselves, and that must be pretty darned hard to do.:wave:

Tagger
10-11-2008, 07:08 AM
not miserable .. very easy going ...but not a door mat and have strong dislikes like littering ,, poaching and just being piggy .. I find the majority (99%?) of fisherman good eggs.. Pretty much travel alone but know fishers when I get there ...

RickBomba
10-11-2008, 08:34 AM
It's the fishing that makes me miserable. Misery loves company. People try coming too close, I'll talk all nice to fool them, then start acting really crazy.
They usually leave.

BigFish
10-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Oh your acting??:hihi:

Jenn
10-12-2008, 11:11 AM
This is why I learned to stick to myself......I tried to say "hello" to one too many people getting only attitude in return....whatever......

StriperSniper
10-12-2008, 04:25 PM
If so you or the miserable person should find a new hobby!

I'm a 36 year young man who loves to fish and have been doing it now about 13 years and enjoys fishing around socialable people.

Sounds like he was toying with you,maybe there's more to the story than your sharing?
Remember your in America and while your free to be sociable others are free to blow you off if they so choose. So telling someone to find another hobby just because he's not doing it YOUR way is kinda whiny isn't it?

BillM
10-12-2008, 10:06 PM
If I'm fishing alone at night I'm always glad to meet up with another human. I've met a lot of cool people that way. I'm also very cautious when I'm alone, but I'll wade out to that last rock when someone else is around.

ray
10-13-2008, 06:49 PM
fishing 10 feet from someone is ok if he knows how it fish and not casting a jig over your plug or when you have a fish on.

CaptMike
10-14-2008, 08:35 AM
I concur indubitably with capt mike

I like your style:cheers2:

Rockfishroger
10-15-2008, 01:06 PM
This is why I bought a boat.

reelecstasy
10-15-2008, 01:30 PM
I fish alone, yeah with nobody else....

BasicPatrick
10-15-2008, 03:18 PM
When I first read the title to this thread I was ABSOLUTELY SURE this thread was about BigFish.....rotflmao!!!!!!!!